The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

2 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Same for Gaunce, Goldobin, Leipsic, Motte, Pouliot, Gaudette. I understand pending UFAs like Dowd, Archibald and even Boucher not being involved. But the others are head scratchers, Boeser is in Minnesota getting his wrist checked out so that one makes sense.

And Gaudette has gone back to school.

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

These posts seem to indicate that the Sedins are not giving Horvat a ringing endorsement to be the next captain. First quote they say they will not throw out any names for the next captain but then go on to mention Sutter, Edler and Tanev.......hmmm.

The second comment says nice things about Bo but their comment seems to be intentionally devoid of mentioning leadership attributes. Very strange.

Good analysis. I found that a bit surprising.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe management, and (retired) players avoid Bo's name as next captain because he's the only and clear choice?  They are likely waiting until next season to announce this, and I'd be shocked if Bo, being part of the next young core, is not the Captain.  

I hope Alf has the right call on this -- that everyone is trying to avoid anointing Bo until the decision has been made and announced.

OF course the main thing is that we want a good captain. From the outside Bo looks obvious. Edler, Tanev and Sutter are good players but they don't seem like obvious captain material. Edler and Tanev are pretty quiet on and off the ice. I don't see them facing the media after every loss.

It is interesting though with the likes of Pettersson, Dahlen etc coming into camp, along with Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaunce, Leipsic, Gaudette, Motte, Granlund looking to solidify their roster positions.. that's potentially 9 forward spots in addition to 6 spots in Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Gagner, Baertschi and Boeser guaranteed to be on the roster, and we haven't even talked about potential UFA acquisitions.

I think Benning is going to have an active trade front this draft/summer to turn some of this excess into prospects and/or picks.

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe management, and (retired) players avoid Bo's name as next captain because he's the only and clear choice?  They are likely waiting until next season to announce this, and I'd be shocked if Bo, being part of the next young core, is not the Captain.  

The Sedins wouldn't throw out the name of Sutter, Tanev and Edler if they did not think they were the best candidates.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if the preference is for it to be Sutter but the fanbase won't accept it.  So maybe no C next year.

1 minute ago, mll said:

The Sedins wouldn't throw out the name of Sutter, Tanev and Edler if they did not think they were the best candidates.  I actually wouldn't be surprised if the preference is for it to be Sutter but the fanbase won't accept it.  So maybe no C next year.

Edler and Sutter got good praise from fans in that older group. (Here on CDC)

I think the fanbase will accept whomever it is. If it's Sutter we know he's a placeholder C. He can one day switch to an A or no letter. He would gladly take on that responsibility and would be a good interview for sure. 

Also boosts his trade stock being that well respected. He has a few years left on his deal. I'd accept him if the twins think this highly of him. I just dislike the idea of your 2nd or 3rd line C as your captian long term. It's ok for me over 2-3 years.

8 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

It is interesting though with the likes of Pettersson, Dahlen etc coming into camp, along with Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaunce, Leipsic, Gaudette, Motte, Granlund looking to solidify their roster positions.. that's potentially 9 forward spots in addition to 6 spots in Eriksson, Horvat, Sutter, Gagner, Baertschi and Boeser guaranteed to be on the roster, and we haven't even talked about potential UFA acquisitions.

I think Benning is going to have an active trade front this draft/summer to turn some of this excess into prospects and/or picks.

I actually don't think Benning will be trading players - they'll want to keep the better players because they want competition and the bad players don't really have trade value.

You eat what you kill - AGM Brisebois talking about a 25 year old Quebecois they recently signed that is climbing their ranks in Syracuse and could get a shot in Tampa next season.  Tampa wants competition because that's how it elevates their team.  They don't think in terms of age, draft position or how acquired - they simply want the best roster possible.  

Just now, Rush17 said:

Have we heard anything on Motte or Goldobin going down to help Utica? 

No pressers for them it seems. Are they Utica bound?

Boucher would normally have to go through waivers once healthy.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Boucher would normally have to go through waivers once healthy.

Appreciate that. I missed that tweet :). Utica is going to be fun to watch. Dahlen going later this week. Possibly Olli and Petrus Palmu.  Gadjovich possibly.  We are going to have a lot of kids play important roles. 

Props to Sautner for having such a good stint here. Really grew fond of him. Hope to see him back up sometime next season.

Does anyone know where Granny was? I don't recall seeing him in a presser? They just scratch him and Gaunce because they missed so much time?

Archived