The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

God that Sutter, Horvat, Edler, and Marky presser got tense.  I don't know if its just me but it appeared "it was sutter, alex, and marky vs bo at times".  Suts, edler, and marky kept it about "us as a leaders" and bo kept saying "i".  He would add in later "we have lots of guys but never commits to us as a group.  I am curious how much Bo's dad is coaching him through this. Trying to help him get the C.  

I recall a tv promo with bo and his dad where he went home to visit.  Bo's dad had worked on a bar top for him and his wife.  Bo came and ribbed him about the length of it.I believe that was the promo where his dad said " i think bo would be a great captain in the nhl".  I am really bothered by this.  Is it just me seeing this?

Yes, it is just you. You've been pushing it in other threads. Let it go man.

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sven Baertschi and his interview about the injury is what kind of worried me the most out of these interviews. His voice literally sounded so depressing almost like he was going to cry, of course it was a disappointing season for him due to injuries, but the way he addressed his shoulder injury and says it's long term didn't sound promising for his future and I think he's really worried about his future or if he will ever fully recover, just didn't look promising and that worries me a bit.

wow yeah your right that is scary.  He said later on its like a 2-3 week heal time but earlier on he goes on about it being a "long term" injury.  I'm confused.  Is it something that will need regular upkeep or is he just emotionally spent from all the time off?  Players had exit meetings today maybe Green wasn't to happy with his rehab program.  Shouldn't really speculate but it makes you wonder when he says he's going to take it "serious".  Rehab should be taken serious regardless so it raises some concern for sure.

6 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Yes, it is just you. You've been pushing it in other threads. Let it go man.

just curious if there is something to it.  not trying to push any agenda just curious if I'm going batty or if there might be something to what I thought I witnessed.

28 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sven Baertschi and his interview about the injury is what kind of worried me the most out of these interviews. His voice literally sounded so depressing almost like he was going to cry, of course it was a disappointing season for him due to injuries, but the way he addressed his shoulder injury and says it's long term didn't sound promising for his future and I think he's really worried about his future or if he will ever fully recover, just didn't look promising and that worries me a bit.

16 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

wow yeah your right that is scary.  He said later on its like a 2-3 week heal time but earlier on he goes on about it being a "long term" injury.  I'm confused.  Is it something that will need regular upkeep or is he just emotionally spent from all the time off?  Players had exit meetings today maybe Green wasn't to happy with his rehab program.  Shouldn't really speculate but it makes you wonder when he says he's going to take it "serious".  Rehab should be taken serious regardless so it raises some concern for sure.

So it was not (just) my imagination. I thought Baertschi was almost about to cry at one point but I found it hard to believe. He did look pretty depressed.

As for the 2-3 weeks, Baertschi said that if this was the regular season he would probably play in 2 to 3 weeks.  But he did not say he would be fully healed in the 2-3 weeks. I agree that he seems worried about the long-term future,.

Frankly, the injury news is all pretty negative. Boeser went to Minnesota to check on his wrist injury, which seems to be a recurring problem. And I did not hear anything positive about his back. Benning said something to the effect that he is "on track", but it sounded pretty restrained. The original 4 to 6 week timeline seems to have been optimistic although we are not at 6 weeks yet.

I would also worry about Guddy. He mentioned that shoulder surgery has a long recovery period and that the he hopes it is in the rearview mirror when camp opens. But that suggests that maybe his shoulder won't be fully healed by then. And I wonder about the effect on his game. Playing a physical game and making hits (with his shoulder) is a big part of his game.  He did try to be upbeat, however, and said something to the effect that his shoulder feels better now than it has for a long time.

man , i liked travis green before this press conference and now I love him ..      god damn .. we need that no nonsense , want to win kind of attitude .. almost every answer Trevor and Jim gave were careful and politically correct .    Coach didn't mince words !!!.     Tells it like it is ..   Amen !!!    some balls were needed in this organization !!! 

To be fair , I really loved that Trevor at least was honest and said they would be under the cap ..     The truth is best when possible ..  and I am excited for the future !!

Ugh... I guess the "winning environment" that we were told about for the past few years were just words and they didn't believe it.  If they return anything like last year's roster (minus the Sedins and Vanek) it will be a horrific year ahead.

This isn't the time to "start" a rebuild, we have a decent number of prospects coming up through the system that time was three years ago.  Being a bottom feeding team for the next few years just means guys roll off their ELCs as new ones come on, and you have to overpay guys to stay in a losing situation.  We actually have to start getting better now, not mortgaging our future by trading away picks or young guys, but by adding some players through trades and free agency over the next three offseasons.

Send out the "meh" guys clogging up the middle of the roster (Baertschi, Granlund, Sutter, Hutton, etc) and add a top free agent this year or two.  We can show Boeser he is being given some support as good faith before he has to sign a new deal next year, it will save us dollars by doing do.  We should do our best to be in a wildcard hunt next year, and then a playoff team the year after that.

Right now our roster for next season (at best) looks like:
Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen
Dahlen-Petterson-Eriksson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Granlund
Gagner

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Pouliot/Hutton-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

That has all the earmarks of a historically bad team.  One that isn't going to score goals, get a lot of goals against scored, all while getting pushed around by the opposition.

37 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

tweet 13

Becoming a perpetual contender is going to take a patient rebuild through the draft. 

By patient, I mean 2 things.  First, it's going to take time (obviously) and there are no shortcuts like trading away draft picks or assets to add the final few pieces (like Calgary did with Hamilton and Hamonic.....because they are still missing pieces and a lot of draft picks).  Second, there is no arrival or completion date for the rebuild.  They always have to be drafting as well as they can and be developing well.  This is essential to the sustainability of the rebuild.  They need to have 1 or 2 new players on average joining the team every year.

I think there are other factors that go into sustainability and one of the most important ones is stable long term management.

20 hours ago, 6string said:

When the contract expires with Utica or whatever the arrangements are it is time to move the farm here. California has seen a big growth with franchises in San Diego, Stockton, Ontario, *San Jose and Bakersfield. Meanwhile San Jose, Winnipeg and Toronto have their clubs in their hometowns.

Our club could fit nicely into the Pacific Division of the AHL playing out of Vancouver ( Coliseum or Rogers ) or Langley. I know I would attend more than a few games depending where they would play out of.....

Utica has been a great place for our prospects and I don’t want to re invent the wheel. 

After all the upheavel and negative impact on player development after the move from the peg to Chi town, keep the Comets where they are. 

We don’t need our media and puck bunnies messing up our youth movement. 

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ugh... I guess the "winning environment" that we were told about for the past few years were just words and they didn't believe it.

Rather difficult when there's no prospects to bring in and the team has been at the top of the league the past three years in injuries, especially to key players.

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

This isn't the time to "start" a rebuild

Who said it is?  It started 4 years ago, and now the major transition is taking place as the core becomes the young players.

I love how Francesco is being more vocal publicly.  He started when the twins announced retirement. It actually does well to hush any conspiracies.  

I have thoroughly enjoyed his tweets and even thanked him last Thursday for all he has done and the heat he has taken to help this rebuild.  Very happy for Francesco and for Green/management.  This will only do wonders and help share his thoughts. 

He Is a passionate owner who cares and understands the process m I'm glad he's been there for the guys all this time. :)

22 hours ago, 6string said:

When the contract expires with Utica or whatever the arrangements are it is time to move the farm here. California has seen a big growth with franchises in San Diego, Stockton, Ontario, *San Jose and Bakersfield. Meanwhile San Jose, Winnipeg and Toronto have their clubs in their hometowns.

Our club could fit nicely into the Pacific Division of the AHL playing out of Vancouver ( Coliseum or Rogers ) or Langley. I know I would attend more than a few games depending where they would play out of.....

They should be in Vancouver, Pacific Colosseum would be perfect.  But until then I plan to make the two our drive to Belleville when they play the Sens farm team which recently moved there, and the off three and a half hour trip to Utica too.   With this many guys becoming or soon to become AHL eligible, the games should be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Utica has been a great place for our prospects and I don’t want to re invent the wheel. 

After all the upheavel and negative impact on player development after the move from the peg to Chi town, keep the Comets where they are. 

We don’t need our media and puck bunnies messing up our youth movement. 

I disagree especially if soon to be big leaguers are afraid or unable to handle media knobs and puck bunnies then they should be working in another field.

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They should be in Vancouver, Pacific Colosseum would be perfect.  But until then I plan to make the two our drive to Belleville when they play the Sens farm team which recently moved there, and the off three and a half hour trip to Utica too.   With this many guys becoming or soon to become AHL eligible, the games should be fun to watch.

Some say the tiresome travel puts a strain on the Canucks vs other teams and lead to more injuries.  More travel means less rest and less time to practice. 

Here is the AHL map with each division highlighted - Vancouver would be so isolated from the other teams vs Utica (in red).  https://theahl.com/team-map-directory

Utica doesn't travel out of the conference.  

On 4/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, Jam126 said:

I mean, they did better than I expected which was 31st.

If they finished last they would have picked 6 spots ahead of where they pick now in every round after the first round. Hope they get the 1st OA as a result of finishing 6th from last...if they drop more than 6 OA, then this draft lottery system needs to be changed

Possible solution would be the 6 teams at the bottom can compete for the 1 to 6 picks; 7 to 12 competes for those spots; and 13 to 15 compete for those spots. 

Canucks going 6-1-2 in the last 9 games to finish 6 from last and then drop three spots in the draft to pick 9 OA is crap.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Rather difficult when there's no prospects to bring in and the team has been at the top of the league the past three years in injuries, especially to key players.

Who said it is?  It started 4 years ago, and now the major transition is taking place as the core becomes the young players.

You entirely missed the point.

We have been told since this regime came in that we NEEDED to bring in veterans to support the kids so that they learned in a "winning environment".  We gave the kids sheltered minutes or benched them while playing scrubs like Megna and Chaput, all in the name of not gifting the kids ice time AND having a winning environment.

Today it seems like that has been abandoned and that we are being told that really doesn't apply and we are just going to have a really young roster full of kids to sink or swim while bringing back the rest of the mediocre guys who have helped us be amongst the worst in the league.

Either way can be a plan, but both things don't jive together as a coherent plan.  It is a 180 degree turn from what they have been saying up until now.

Starting over a new strategy IS starting the rebuild now.  By bringing back the current roster they are effectively saying we are OK riding out the next couple seasons of being bad in order to develop the kids.

As for the injury issue.  If it has been three years of the exact same results, it isn't bad luck... it is the players you have on the roster and their propensity to get hurt.  Bringing them back is likely going to result in similar injury results.  Probably worse because the Sedins rarely got hurt and their replacements will likely not be that resilient.

7 hours ago, coastal.view said:

well so many on here are making such a big deal about a possible captain

trying to read into what players and management are saying

but refuse to accept the message that is being sent that it is not so important to the team or to the room

and more important to the media and fans

They don't want to cheapen the 'C'.

The 'C' is given in the room in front of each and all the players. Not on here on CDC or in the press by-lines.

It's a special moment, let's not ruin it.  I'm glad nobody answered it. 

It reminds me of the kid that blows out his birthday candles and everyone keeps asking him what he wished for.

Archived