The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Season End Media Availability (Green, Linden, Benning, & Players)

Rush17

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler is likely here long term. Not sure what he has to do with signing Green to bridge our PPQB D we hopefully draft this year either? Completely different roles (though they could both play PP on L and R).

Again, this wouldn't be a long term move. 'Overspending in free agency' for a short term, 2-3 year D to bridge to our upcoming kids and perhaps facilitating a Tanev move would be a solid rebuild move IMO.

Just similar age and production. And who's spot does he take? Just don't see him as an upgrade. And I think the days of getting a big return on Tanev are over, just too many injuries.

Just now, aGENT said:

He's being utilized in a match up, hard minutes, dzone role currently in CBJ. It's a safe bet his production would increase given a less defensively demanding 2C role here with Sutter taking those minutes instead.

I still wouldn't move OJ for him though.

so what would be fair Jenner + _______ = OJ? 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's being utilized in a match up, hard minutes, dzone role currently in CBJ. It's a safe bet his production would increase given a less defensively demanding 2C role here with Sutter taking those minutes instead.

I still wouldn't move OJ for him though.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not deploying him the way Torts does would be a good start. 

Not saying they have to be the only two pieces in the deal, just the main ones. 

His zone starts and TOI are similar to his 30 goal season. He's starting slightly more in the d zone (58 vs 55) but it's not that much different.

Just now, Alflives said:

Seth Jones. ^_^  

We need Dmen.

we also need C's that are hard to play against, can score and provide some grit too. 

I'm just throwing the idea out there, you can't trade crap for diamonds so we'd have to give up something valuable too. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Just similar age and production. And who's spot does he take? Just don't see him as an upgrade. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Edler is likely here long term. Not sure what he has to do with signing Green to bridge our PPQB D we hopefully draft this year either? Completely different roles (though they could both play PP on L and R).

Again, this wouldn't be a long term move. 'Overspending in free agency' for a short term, 2-3 year D to bridge to our upcoming kids and perhaps facilitating a Tanev move would be a solid rebuild move IMO.

It's not about being an 'upgrade'. It's about furthering the rebuild while still filling out a roster and making kids compete for those spots, keeping kids out of spots above their heads and generally being a stop gap until kids arrive. Though he likely would 'upgrade' our PP for what that's worth. And Green is just an example not a 'must'. 

We're not going to be a playoff team next year, Tanev or not. It's in our best interests to get rebuild assets for him while we can and fill his roster spot with a capable, if 'mediocre' vet for the next couple years as kids develop. That hole could very well be filled via trade as well (say for example a PHI trade where we get MacDonald + back as a partial cap dump in exchange for Tanev +).

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

so what would be fair Jenner + _______ = OJ? 

Nothing. We're not moving OJ. Full stop.

4 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

His zone starts and TOI are similar to his 30 goal season. He's starting slightly more in the d zone (58 vs 55) but it's not that much different.

sure but also much less time with Atkinson compared with his 30 goal year, and wasn't he also on the 1st unit PP that year too? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fine. Be that way. 

I will, thank you. ::D

Really though, they don't particularly need D (there's is pretty good FWIW) and he's presently our only blue chip D. It's not even a good fit for their/our needs.

They do however needs some forwards (which we happen to be flush with) as they'd obviously be losing Jenner (who's due a large raise on a cash strapped team), and have Calvert, Vanek and Letestu as UFA's.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I will, thank you. ::D

Really though, they don't particularly need D (there's is pretty good FWIW) and he's presently our only blue chip D. It's not even a good fit for their/our needs.

They do however needs some forwards (which we happen to be flush with) as they'd obviously be losing Jenner (who's due a large raise on a cash strapped team), and have Calvert, Vanek and Letestu as UFA's.

I know, just a thought as to what it might take to pry Jenner loose. I doubt there's anything else CBJ would want from us other than picks we can't afford to lose either.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we also need C's that are hard to play against, can score and provide some grit too. 

I'm just throwing the idea out there, you can't trade crap for diamonds so we'd have to give up something valuable too. 

Okay, we will take PLD then:)

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

Link to the Sportsnet top prospects...update March 2018...some big boys available both at D and at forward positions....JB needs to pick the BPA (a sure thing), there are a few on this list.

I personally like Bouchard.  If he was there when we select I would be very happy. If they take him that is!

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know, just a thought as to what it might take to pry Jenner loose. I doubt there's anything else CBJ would want from us other than picks we can't afford to lose either.

Well again, forwards.

Particularly one's who aren't looking for Jenner sized raises.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but also much less time with Atkinson compared with his 30 goal year, and wasn't he also on the 1st unit PP that year too? 

Yes, he played with Atkinson 62% of the time in 15/16, this year 27.5% - and his powerplay ice time has dipped to just over a minute a game (half what it was) - and his production has gone from 9 ppg to 2.

And regardless - his role is as a shutdown forward.  The claim that his ozone starts haven't changed much is oversimplified and misleading.  iHis ozone starts are 41.6%, which is 28th on the CBJ - and his principal linemate is Dubinsky - one of the few CBJ to have slightly lower ozone starts.  Jenner on his wing forms what has been the CBJ shutdown line the majority of their season.

In 2015/16 Jenner's role was more 'dual' than it presently is - and the bottom line is this - 30 goals with under 45% ozone starts was very impressive no matter how you slice it. That outstanding production doesn't really underplay his current role / effectiveness - that misses the point on a number of levels.

If he'd sustained that, we wouldn't be talking about the possibility of acquiring him - we'd be looking at a king's ransome.

The point of acquiring Jenner wouldn't be with the expectation of 30 goal seasons in any event - he's playing harder miinutes - his physicality is high end - and he has plenty of upside.  You could play him in a 2nd line type role and look to get 20 or more goals out of him or you could play him in a shutdown role and get excellent secondary scoring (ala Sutter) in those kind of minutes.  Versatile and hard to play against - would be the point/bottom line - and makes him a worthwhile target who could be undervalued in the present context.

It's tough to project what the CBJ would want - or whether they'd entertain moving him.  They have about 15 million of cap expiring - they could easily use some of that to re-sign him (and I doubt he's going to break their bank in any event with a raise on 2.9 million).  They do have their share of physical forwards though in addition to him - Dubinsky, Foligno, Anderson.....(Dubois, Sedlak).  Worth kicking tires for sure, but I wonder if pre-expansion draft may have been the best window of opportunity.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Yes, he played with Atkinson 62% of the time in 15/16, this year 27.5% - and his powerplay ice time has dipped to just over a minute a game (half what it was) - and his production has gone from 9 ppg to 2.

And regardless - his role is as a shutdown forward.  The claim that his ozone starts haven't changed much is oversimplified and misleading.  iHis ozone starts are 41.6%, which is 28th on the CBJ - and his principal linemate is Dubinsky - one of the few CBJ to have slightly lower ozone starts.  Jenner on his wing forms what has been the CBJ shutdown line the majority of their season.

In 2015/16 Jenner's role was more 'dual' than it presently is - and the bottom line is this - 30 goals with under 45% ozone starts was very impressive no matter how you slice it. That outstanding production doesn't really underplay his current role / effectiveness - that misses the point on a number of levels.

If he'd sustained that, we wouldn't be talking about the possibility of acquiring him - we'd be looking at a king's ransome.

The point of acquiring Jenner wouldn't be with the expectation of 30 goal seasons in any event - he's playing harder miinutes - his physicality is high end - and he has plenty of upside.  You could play him in a 2nd line type role and look to get 20 or more goals out of him or you could play him in a shutdown role and get excellent secondary scoring (ala Sutter) in those kind of minutes.  Versatile and hard to play against - would be the point/bottom line - and makes him a worthwhile target who could be undervalued in the present context.

It's tough to project what the CBJ would want - or whether they'd entertain moving him.  They have about 15 million of cap expiring - they could easily use some of that to re-sign him (and I doubt he's going to break their bank in any event with a raise on 2.9 million).  They do have their share of physical forwards though in addition to him - Dubinsky, Foligno, Anderson.....(Dubois, Sedlak).  Worth kicking tires for sure, but I wonder if pre-expansion draft may have been the best window of opportunity.

"versatile and hard to play against"  - thats a great way of describing him for sure. I don't know what it would take but if we were able to acquire some additional picks  prior to the draft that might make the difference. And which F are we willing to give up to make it happen? you're probably right, about the Vegas expansion being the best chance to get him, but I suppose Seattle is coming up so we might get another crack at it.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:25 AM, Pete M said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

Link to the Sportsnet top prospects...update March 2018...some big boys available both at D and at forward positions....JB needs to pick the BPA (a sure thing), there are a few on this list.

There really is no such thing as a "sure thing" - so many have proven that.   It is more about whether you define BPA as having the highest floor or the highest ceiling as often these two things do not show up in the player.   The safer pick is the higher floor - if picking top 10 will almost for sure (almost) get you a player if a forward that will be a top 9 when developed or a D that will be top 4.    Higher ceiling is players that may become that all-star, first line forward or top pairing Dman and potential Norris votes.    Those types can also become the next Yakupov, Daigle, Stefan, Brendl, Jessiman, dal Colle, Barker, Reinhart.........etc. etc.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"versatile and hard to play against"  - thats a great way of describing him for sure. I don't know what it would take but if we were able to acquire some additional picks  prior to the draft that might make the difference. And which F are we willing to give up to make it happen? you're probably right, about the Vegas expansion being the best chance to get him, but I suppose Seattle is coming up so we might get another crack at it.

good point.  and the CBJ were in tougher than most teams, so they may be more motivated to set themselves up - although I personally am generally against overemphasizing the impact of expansion at the expense of getting in the way of all the business in the meantime - I don't like how these EDs divide teams attention and priorities - I think it takes away from the game in the meantime - and they should lay off another one too soon, particularly after plumming up LV so thoroughly.

Archived