The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto (9 confirmed fatalities, 16 injured)

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And this is where we differ.

Because it is an act of terrorism  based on the events and actions not some outdated definition in a dictionary

Stephen Paddock and Nikolas Cruz had a big impact on political discourse but both are not terrorists because Websters says so. 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

How so?

Gun control, and the debate on both sides over what that should look like. When the POTUS is sitting with Parkland survivors then you know that is something that will impact the country's politics.

10 minutes ago, Toews said:

Gun control, and the debate on both sides over what that should look like. When the POTUS is sitting with Parkland survivors then you know that is something that will impact the country's politics.

I'd certainly like to think so.  

But a month later the potus is launching missiles in retaliation to an unknown culprit.  

Nobody talks about cruz or paddock anymore and it's business as usual.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

But a month later the potus is launching missiles in retaliation to an unknown culprit.  

Or Facebook. That was all the rage two weeks ago. Now we're back to not giving a $&!#. I didn't in the first place hence why I didn't put anything on there I wasn't comfortable sharing with whomever.

Go to the Winchester for a pint and wait for all of this to blow over, as they say. Happens each and every time.

13 minutes ago, riffraff said:

True.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Until some indication otherwise I assume Trump was acting on actionable intelligence. I detest the man but I have to admit that I don't get the chance to see the briefings that he receives and while I mistrust his judgment I cannot say with any certainty that he was in the wrong either. 

Yes, sadly we have short memories but this is true of all incidents. Also let's be honest, we don't know these victims and while we can empathize with those who have lost loved ones, we will have forgotten them in a few weeks. So how much do we really care? The answer is that we don't, we feel it for a few days and then its forgotten in the daily grind. The only people that truly care are the ones whose lives are directly impacted by this.

21 minutes ago, Toews said:

Until some indication otherwise I assume Trump was acting on actionable intelligence. I detest the man but I have to admit that I don't get the chance to see the briefings that he receives and while I mistrust his judgment I cannot say with any certainty that he was in the wrong either. 

Yes, sadly we have short memories but this is true of all incidents. Also let's be honest, we don't know these victims and while we can empathize with those who have lost loved ones, we will have forgotten them in a few weeks. So how much do we really care? The answer is that we don't, we feel it for a few days and then its forgotten in the daily grind. The only people that truly care are the ones whose lives are directly impacted by this.

This is it.....so Imo, if we must attach a label to everything, it would seem reasonable to suggest that this incident is not an act of terrorism.

to me terrorism is an act that affects everybody,  as an individual, as a collective - a way of life.  A way of life that we as Canadians, generally speaking, exist under.  So while this is a terrible event that in the immediate affects many people, in two weeks nobody will even talk about it.  Nobody is terrorized other than those immediately touched.

I want to be clear that my opinion has nothing to do with this tragedy's attachment or lack thereof to any religion, race or what have you.  But as of today I am not terrorized.  If I lived in Toronto I would walk those streets immediately as part of my daily life.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

The computer driven vehicle just got a huge boost in desirability. Will probably be made mandatory   by 2022.

I was thinking along these lines yesterday. In addition to more self driven vehicles, I could see vehicles with collision control as standard equipment, with a governor that applies the brakes and disengages the drive train, until the threat is clear,

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

This is it.....so Imo, if we must attach a label to everything, it would seem reasonable to suggest that this incident is not an act of terrorism.

to me terrorism is an act that affects everybody,  as an individual, as a collective - a way of life.  A way of life that we as Canadians, generally speaking, exist under.  So while this is a terrible event that in the immediate affects many people, in two weeks nobody will even talk about it.  Nobody is terrorized other than those immediately touched.

I want to be clear that my opinion has nothing to do with this tragedy's attachment or lack thereof to any religion, race or what have you.  But as of today I am not terrorized.  If I lived in Toronto I would walk those streets immediately as part of my daily life.

BUT, if a few weeks from now a similar incident occurs in Canada, carried out by someone with similar motives. Would you be notably more concerned that this might become a pattern?

8 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

BUT, if a few weeks from now a similar incident occurs in Canada, carried out by someone with similar motives. Would you be notably more concerned that this might become a pattern?

Well first we have to know the motive for this incident....it really is key.....so far he sounds like he is socially awkward and in his mind was rejected by females.  The result was the killing of strangers - male and female.

to your point of a possible pattern:  it already is imo.  It happened in Edmonton and all over Europe for one reason or another.  

Am I concerned about a pattern?  Yes.  Scared or terrorized? No.

i exercise situational awareness and try to make decisions based on experience and common knowledge about where I go and when I go.  But I've done that since I was a teen travelling in the 90's.....way before all this insanity.

8 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

It appears the perpetrator wasn't even Muslim, so that kind of destroys that argument. "Argument" is being generous by the way. Jägermeister is correct. There isn't enough information to establish his motive yet.

There was a similar attack a couple of weeks ago where my brother lives in Germany. It happened, people immediately pointed the finger at a certain religion, forcing armed guards to be placed around refugee camps in the area in fear of retaliation. It later emerged that the attacker was a German named Jens, a man with a history of drug addiction who had previously stated that he wanted to commit suicide in a spectacular way.

Wait for the facts and you won't look like a fool.

doesnt matter if hes not muslim he was inspired by past isis people hitting other with cars  its a trend   and in his messed up mind  he went for shock and awe

45 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Well first we have to know the motive for this incident....it really is key.....so far he sounds like he is socially awkward and in his mind was rejected by females.  The result was the killing of strangers - male and female.

to your point of a possible pattern:  it already is imo.  It happened in Edmonton and all over Europe for one reason or another.  

Am I concerned about a pattern?  Yes.  Scared or terrorized? No.

i exercise situational awareness and try to make decisions based on experience and common knowledge about where I go and when I go.  But I've done that since I was a teen travelling in the 90's.....way before all this insanity.

sounds like the news is confirming his facebook stuff was real. So his concern over forced celibacy shouldn't be an issue for him soon. 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sounds like the news is confirming his facebook stuff was real. So his concern over forced celibacy shouldn't be an issue for him soon. 

you are right, but not for the reason you are alluding to. Many women will now start writing this guy in jail, he will pen pal with a number of them and out of the bunch he will get several marriage proposals. This will lead to a wedding and conjugal visits.

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

you are right, but not for the reason you are alluding to. Many women will now start writing this guy in jail, he will pen pal with a number of them and out of the bunch he will get several marriage proposals. This will lead to a wedding and conjugal visits.

The Ted Bundy syndrome.

People really ought to study this.

Archived