The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van strikes multiple pedestrians in Toronto (9 confirmed fatalities, 16 injured)

1 hour ago, VanGnome said:

Agreed. I wasn't sure of something specific in the definition so I looked it up and lo and behold:
image.png.092c9260809863d47bd0d7a3aa87eb1d.png

I take issue with the fact that it has to be fueled by political aim. Sometimes $&!#e people do $&!#e things for $&!#e reasons and there is no greater meaning to be derrived from the action.

You taking issue with it, doesn't change the definition of the word. I don't get why it's so hard for some posters to grasp that you absolutely have to have a political goal to meet the definition of terrorism.

2 minutes ago, taxi said:

You taking issue with it, doesn't change the definition of the word. I don't get why it's so hard for some posters to grasp that you absolutely have to have a political goal to meet the definition of terrorism.

My issue, is that the common definition is not completely accurate or the correct use of the word, but it is by and large being used almost exclusively in relation to acts that ARE politically fueled. A more expanded explanation is below, and better quantifies what the word actually means, and the contexts in which the word should be used, and not just exclusively for politically charged acts:

Terrorism is, in the broadest sense, the use of intentionally indiscriminate violence as a means to create terror among masses of people; or fear to achieve a financial, political, religious or ideological aim.[1] It is used in this regard primarily to refer to violence against peacetime targets or in war against non-combatants.[2] The terms "terrorist" and "terrorism" originated during the French Revolution of the late 18th century[3] but gained mainstream popularity during the U.S. Presidency of Ronald Reagan (1981–89) after the 1983 Beirut barracks bombings[4] and again after the attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. in September 2001[5][4][6] and on Bali in October 2002.[4]

There is no commonly accepted definition of "terrorism".[7][8] Being a charged term, with the connotation of something "morally wrong", it is often used, both by governments and non-state groups, to abuse or denounce opposing groups.[9][10][4][11][8] Broad categories of political organisations have been claimed to have been involved in terrorism to further their objectives, including right-wing and left-wing political organisations, nationalist groups, religious groups, revolutionaries and ruling governments.[12] Terrorism-related legislation has been adopted in various states, regarding "terrorism" as a crime.[13][14] There is no universal agreement as to whether or not "terrorism", in some definition, should be regarded as a war crime.[14][15]

Just because a word is used almost categorically to define one context, does not mean that is correct. This act, and others like it regardless of motivations or intent are acts of terrorism.

29 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Tremendous poise by the officer. However, a Yank officer would've given this parasite the fate he deserved. 

No worries, you get to pay for him to spend rest of his life in some mental institution or cushy prison.

I see it didn't take long for this to turn into the same tired "terrorism" argument.

How about you guys stop rushing to judgment so you can label things to make a political point, when there are not nearly enough details to even form a half rational argument yet.

This is a horrible day for our country, and I just hope we can come to a better understanding as to why this happened.

32 minutes ago, taxi said:

I dont get why it's so hard for someto admit an act of terror is in fact an act of terror the moment the perpetrator is not a muslim or is white or not screaming a religious phrase 

Just because some people like to fit things in to neat little boxes does not mean it is not said act based on a defiition laid out in a dictionary decades ago.

Those same dictionaries that now recognize sayings like double double or the like

The  way this looks now

Just found out he went a km down the road-sidewalk mowing down as many people he can,got busted and wanted to die in infamy.Crazy dude wanted to get noticed in death. 

As far as motive,totally media driven,and now he's not dead and feeling like $&!#,and will have to answer a lot of questions that he might not be able to answer.

I maybe wrong....but no terrorism here.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Sadly, I argue your EXACT side endlessly.  Only to have people inform me endlessly with very contrite arrogance that 

Unless they had a political or religious motivation it's not terrorism.

Only to then immediately claim acts like this...are terrorist acts.

because ethnicity and religious beliefs matter depending on your bias to those people.

This for me, was an act of terrorism.  Period

I find it in extreme distaste that your first post is to mourn the victims and not make this about whatever issue and yet here you are pumping out these posts... again.

BTW I agree this is terrorism.

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I dont get why it's so hard for someto admit an act of terror is in fact an act of terror the moment the perpetrator is not a muslim or is white or not screaming a religious phrase 

Just because some people like to fit things in to neat little boxes does not mean it is not said act based on a defiition laid out in a dictionary decades ago.

Those same dictionaries that now recognize sayings like double double or the like

Give it a rest. The mosque shooting and the black church shooting were both labeled terrorism. 

You're obviously just pushing this point, because you don't want people to call Islamic militants terrorists.

For someone who's first complaint in this thread was about others exploiting these tragedies for their own politics, you seem to do that very same thing incessantly.

1 minute ago, taxi said:

Give it a rest. The mosque shooting and the black church shooting were both labeled terrorism. 

You're obviously just pushing this point, because you don't want people to call Islamic militants terrorists.

For someone who's first complaint in this thread was about others exploiting these tragedies for their own politics, you seem to do that very same thing incessantly.

That's plainly false. Hippy has never decried referring to "Islamic militants" as terrorists.

26 minutes ago, taxi said:

Yes those incidents were labeled terrorist acts, just like no one is saying they weren't doesn't mean this also isn't just because it doesn't fall into the same end to end set of circumstances to paint a very convenient narrative.

Terrorism is terrorism, plain and simple regardless of the motivations. An act of unlawful aggression and violence against innocent civilians designed to instill fear into those unaffected by the physical act. Terrorism's game is emotional aftershock, casting doubt in the safety of a thing or a place.

Islamic militants can be terrorists, not all are until they actually perform acts of terrorism. You can't be a terrorist by association, just like you cannot be a hooligan by association because some of your friends got rowdy at a pub and tore the place apart. Regular non political, non religious people can also be terrorists, it's their acts that define them as terrorists, not the color of their skin, or their religious affiliation.

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

I see it didn't take long for this to turn into the same tired "terrorism" argument.

How about you guys stop rushing to judgment so you can label things to make a political point, when there are not nearly enough details to even form a half rational argument yet.

This is a horrible day for our country, and I just hope we can come to a better understanding as to why this happened.

we know why it happened its called  an ideology  of extremist islam  that people flock to through propaganda and social  media.

Why are people so hung up over the semantics of the word "terrorism". Call it what you like, a tragedy took place today. And families have been torn apart.

This world has become too dark,have people forgot that everyone is a human. No one is more equal than another.

One way that helps keep me positive is just continuing of doing little things like saying, "Thanks" or "Please", hell even holding a door open.for someome. The smile that those people give you will honestly brighten up your day and even brighten up their day. Spread positivity and love in this dark world.

Man, the internet is a bad thing.

Copycat gun massacres.

Now the weapon de jour is becoming the common large motor vehicle.

Yes drugs, and mental issues were the significant issue on one. 

We've had two such incidents here in Melbourne. I missed one, literally, by give or take 5 or 6 minutes by deciding not to get on a tram and go downtown for a drink. The incident took place at exactly where, and when I would have gotten off the tram. An Afgani immigrant, former refugee was arrested. 1 dead 18 or 20 injured. It was determined a mental instability issue, not a terrorist attack.  But it invoked every fear in peoples expressed thoughts! The second, a guy who liked like he might be Arabian, but turned out to be a drug addicted Greek guy, possibly coming down & instable was the culprit. He had already stabbed his brother that day, and hijacked / kidnapped a girl, who had jumped out of his car in the middle of one of the busiest bridges in the city.  

Scary. I hope everyone is alright!

Archived