The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So you are agreeing he is legitimately the weight he says he is, didn't fabricate the number and you take back that "160 lb" crap you invented?   

Cool.   Glad you have come around to reality.   Good job!   :)

I didn't fabricate anything. Once again you go right back to twisting posts around. 

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

EP is ready for the NHL. The pros say so. He should play in the NHL. Agree to disagree.

Like Yakupov was ready for the NHL? Rushing players into the NHL is a recipe for turning into Edmonton.

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I didn't fabricate anything. Once again you go right back to twisting posts around. 

Sure thing dude.   Whatever works for you.   :lol:    Will leave this be so you can go back to questioning credibility of people who seem to know nutrition science.   That is some enjoyable reading.   :)

41 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Johnny Gaudreau is probably one of the few examples you could give and I don't think he should have been in the NHL when he was. Bob Hartley, I recall sat him an entire period against Anaheim because he knew he was a hit away from being killed. If Gaudreau gets injured in that rookie season Calgary looks like a bunch of fools. There is no reason to rush Pettersson into the NHL.

Jared Spurgeon5’9, 168  
Johnny Gaudreau 5’9 157
Cam Atkinson 5’8 179
Conor Sheary 5’8 175
Jonathan Marchessault 5’9 174
Brayden Point 5'11 165
Yanni Gourde 5'9 172

Lots of other small and light players.  Elias Petterson is 6'2 170. Yea he is a bit taller but there are many successful light players in the NHL.

There is a small possibility he takes a killer hit...just like there is for every player in the NHL. No reason....I repeat NO REASON Elias cannot play in the NHL now. The pros say so...I will take their opinion over the opinion of someone on a blog....no offence.

55 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

"Currently discussing" sounds an awful lot like you're a student or a new graduate. "I don't often hear of skinny people doing this, at all". I beg to differ. I've known/know many who do just that and that has grown exponentially in the last few years when I started spending a lot more time at the gym. I've known people who have gone to anorexic clinics and you have to maintain a certain weight level in order to be discharged and the ways they cheat the system in order to get discharged. I can even use myself as an example who when I was Pettersson age was trying to put on a lot of muscle and I could easily put on 5-10lbs in a few days of eating heavily/drinking and working out. Very quickly you will lose that weight because it's not actual muscle mass. It was just a byproduct of trying to grow muscle, quickly.  "From an outside perspective and based off experience, I would be willing to bet he has a very high metabolism rate and probably actually eats quite a bit based off his energy expenditure while he, you know, dominated one of the top 5 leagues in all of hockey. But if you have info or experience stating otherwise I'm all ears."  Completely unnecessary addition to your post. Why do I care about your experience with metabolism rates?

So this is the nail in the coffin. You are summarily painting EP with a broad stroke brush biased by your alleged experiences (take anything on the internet with a grain of salt). You are talking out of your ass.

IF EP had the mental make up of those who are susceptible to anorexia, or those who justify cutting corners to achieve a goal, he would not have utterly DOMINATED the SHL. He would not have the mental capacity or intestinal fortitude to do things the right way.

As a consequence of not being a weak minded muppet, EP has grown as his body was naturally intended to and has learned to use what his body provides in order to give him an edge in combination with his intelligence and creativity.

This is why his "weight" or perceived lack of muscle definition by you is of zero consequence. Many people much more experienced than you in judging ABILITY and READINESS as it pertains to playing in the highest level of professional hockey in the world deem he is ready to be in the league. I will defer to their judgement and wisdom over some anonymous internet crackpot convinced of their own superiority as an authority on the subject.

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Jared Spurgeon5’9, 168  
Johnny Gaudreau 5’9 157
Cam Atkinson 5’8 179
Conor Sheary 5’8 175
Jonathan Marchessault 5’9 174
Brayden Point 5'11 165
Yanni Gourde 5'9 172

Lots of other small and light players.  Elias Petterson is 6'2 170. Yea he is a bit taller but there are many successful light players in the NHL.

There is a small possibility he takes a killer hit...just like there is for every player in the NHL. No reason....I repeat NO REASON Elias cannot play in the NHL now. The pros say so...I will take their opinion over the opinion of someone on a blog....no offence.

Yea and the key thing there is size, like you mentioned. They will have more muscle around their bones than Pettersson. They'd probably be around 190lbs at 6'2.

29 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No, you were trying to push the discussion into a direction you were more comfortable with and when I steered it back and you got upset. I am not surprised.  You just threw your credentials at me and proved that you are inexperienced in the matter. Then you tried to spin it back at me as a personal issue of my own, it's not.

What this kid is going through - the pressure from the media, the constant questions about his weight from NHL reporters, and I am sure his own aspirations to gain muscle, it is not out of the question for him to be eating more and drinking much more. Especially if he is drinking things like pre-workout or performance mixture during his workout some of those have you drink 4l of water over an hour. I would assume that is exactly what he is trying to do but if he isn't doing the proper things that weight will go on and then quickly come off and you should know that if you experience in muscle building. You should know if you work out all the time, take all these supplements, but don't sleep you're never going to grow muscle and you'll put on weight for a short period of time but as soon as you stop eating/drinking that enormous amount you're going to lose that weight almost instantly.

I know this isn't even my argument, but this is really absurd. There's nothing wrong with bringing up relevant experience (as you did with personal experiences, it's not much different than mentioning credentials, it's all experience relevant to the discussion). And further, @shayster007 brought it up further because you tried to tear into his credibility as a method of getting the upper hand in the discussion. From the outside, you're coming across like a child. Which is unfortunate, because you are bringing up some decent points that could be interesting discussion topics. If everything smells like crap, check your shoes.

Again though, the things you're bringing up are definitely true to fitness in general. But, he's a professional athlete who has been playing and training for high level sports most of his life. Especially coming up through the pro system in Sweden. He's going to know the difference between good weight gain, and quickly slapped on water weight. This isn't the case where your average Joe Blow from Planet Fitness is claiming to have thrown on 15lbs of muscle in 3 months. It's a prospect who will have access to elite coaching, both when it comes to the gym and the type of eating it requires to put on muscle. He's going to be well informed about sleep, rest, training, supplementation, diet, etc. The points just aren't overly related to athletes of this caliber. They have people to make sure they're doing the right things.

If you want to play this game, I could say he looks flat in the picture of signing the contract because his glycogen stores are depleted due to it being the end of the season. It's all pointless speculation based on general fitness knowledge.

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Yea and the key thing there is size, like you mentioned. They will have more muscle around their bones than Pettersson. They'd probably be around 190lbs at 6'2.

John Klingberg 6'2 177
Nikita Kucherov 5'11  178
Otto Somppi 6'1  178

Your argument holds no water.  There are plenty of light NHL players that are not dead lol. I won't respond further to your silliness.

6 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I know this isn't even my argument, but this is really absurd. There's nothing wrong with bringing up relevant experience (as you did with personal experiences, it's not much different than mentioning credentials, it's all experience relevant to the discussion). And further, @shayster007 brought it up further because you tried to tear into his credibility as a method of getting the upper hand in the discussion. From the outside, you're coming across like a child. Which is unfortunate, because you are bringing up some decent points that could be interesting discussion topics. If everything smells like crap, check your shoes.

Again though, the things you're bringing up are definitely true to fitness in general. But, he's a professional athlete who has been playing and training for high level sports most of his life. Especially coming up through the pro system in Sweden. He's going to know the difference between good weight gain, and quickly slapped on water weight. This isn't the case where your average Joe Blow from Planet Fitness is claiming to have thrown on 15lbs of muscle in 3 months. It's a prospect who will have access to elite coaching, both when it comes to the gym and the type of eating it requires to put on muscle. He's going to be well informed about sleep, rest, training, supplementation, diet, etc. The points just aren't overly related to athletes of this caliber. They have people to make sure they're doing the right things.

If you want to play this game, I could say he looks flat in the picture of signing the contract because his glycogen stores are depleted due to it being the end of the season. It's all pointless speculation based on general fitness knowledge.

Oh, come on man. He brought up his credentials to simply be like oh look at me I'm an expert. He purposely tried to steer the discussion into a direction that he was experienced in. I called him out on it. He took it personally and lashed out.

He's a young kid with reporters constantly questioning his weight you think he wants to tell them he hasn't put on any weight in a year? or he might tell them the highest weight level he had weighed in at just to get them off his back. He also can be getting the best help in the world but if he doesn't believe it it's not going to benefit him. He might be thinking oh who cares about sleep even though its when your muscles grow. You don't know what is going through his head. You do know what he looks like though and he looks skinny and boney.

I am also saying where he is right now to where he should be, without steroids, will take years. It will be that much harder to do playing in the NHL. He's better off in the AHL putting on weight and the next year he should be much better off. He will most likely still be light but he could be around 185. 

14 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

John Klingberg 6'2 177
Nikita Kucherov 5'11  178
Otto Somppi 6'1  178

Your argument holds no water.  There are plenty of light NHL players that are not dead lol. I won't respond further to your silliness.

Is that why you chose otto Somppi as one? A kid who hasn't even played in the NHL.

Just now, peaches5 said:

Oh, come on man. He brought up his credentials to simply be like oh look at me I'm an expert. He purposely tried to steer the discussion into a direction that he was experienced in. I called him out on it. He took it personally and lashed out.

He's a young kid with reporters constantly questioning his weight you think he wants to tell them he hasn't put on any weight in a year? or he might tell them the highest weight level he had weighed in at just to get them off his back. He also can be getting the best help in the world but if he doesn't believe it it's not going to benefit him. He might be thinking oh who cares about sleep even though its when your muscles grow. You don't know what is going through his head. You do know what he looks like though and he looks skinny and boney.

I am also saying where he is right now to where he should be, without steroids, will take years. It will be that much harder to do playing in the NHL. He's better off in the AHL putting on weight and the next year he should be much better off. He will most likely still be light but he could be around 185. 

I disagree, you and him were approaching each other with equal levels of respect. Both of those levels were low. You get what you give in the conversations, and there's no point playing the victim. There is no victim, just two people peacocking experience and credentials in a discussion. That's how heated discussions go. It's okay, just accept your part and his part and everyone can move along without throwing fits.

You don't know what's going through his head either, and that's the point I'm trying to make. None of us do. We can speculate until the cows come home using general physical fitness knowledge. You can sit there and tell me he's trying to fluff his numbers out of desperation to seem like he's gained weight, and that he's not taking all aspects of it seriously enough. I can sit here and say that he's a slender kid to begin with and it could be lighting, glycogen depletion, or a number of other things that are making him look even more flat.

I agree that he needs to gain some weight, I think most fans agree with that. But, at the end of the day, what I'm saying is speculating about all of this is absolutely pointless. Let's see where he's at when training camp comes. There are professionals there who can implement tools such as DEXA Scans to get an idea of where his body actually is at. If, after they've assessed him, he's been ruled as too weak to compete in the NHL (or it becomes apparent in preseason games that he wont be able to handle NHL competition), then I think there's some room for discussion.

I won't be unhappy if he goes to the AHL, nor am I entirely convinced that he will be able to handle the strength in the NHL. I just think this type of speculation is dumb. If you're into fitness, you should know that there are 100 different things that could be going into it. Neither of us are at liberty to really guess.

4 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I disagree, you and him were approaching each other with equal levels of respect. Both of those levels were low. You get what you give in the conversations, and there's no point playing the victim. There is no victim, just two people peacocking experience and credentials in a discussion. That's how heated discussions go. It's okay, just accept your part and his part and everyone can move along without throwing fits.

You don't know what's going through his head either, and that's the point I'm trying to make. None of us do. We can speculate until the cows come home using general physical fitness knowledge. You can sit there and tell me he's trying to fluff his numbers out of desperation to seem like he's gained weight, and that he's not taking all aspects of it seriously enough. I can sit here and say that he's a slender kid to begin with and it could be lighting, glycogen depletion, or a number of other things that are making him look even more flat.

I agree that he needs to gain some weight, I think most fans agree with that. But, at the end of the day, what I'm saying is speculating about all of this is absolutely pointless. Let's see where he's at when training camp comes. There are professionals there who can implement tools such as DEXA Scans to get an idea of where his body actually is at. If, after they've assessed him, he's been ruled as too weak to compete in the NHL (or it becomes apparent in preseason games that he wont be able to handle NHL competition), then I think there's some room for discussion.

I won't be unhappy if he goes to the AHL, nor am I entirely convinced that he will be able to handle the strength in the NHL. I just think this type of speculation is dumb. If you're into fitness, you should know that there are 100 different things that could be going into it. Neither of us are at liberty to really guess.

He was condescending and you know it. It was so obvious he was steering the conversation where he wanted it to be because he wanted to be like I am the expert here! He made that clear with his next post when he didn't get what he wanted and then threw out his credentials anyways. 

Everything is speculation on a forum. I never said I wasn't speculating. I said I think and I believe. I didn't say I went and weighed Pettersson and he was 160lbs. His weight has been an issue since the draft. It's continued to be an issue now. But people here think because he did well in Europe it will translate to NHL success. I don't agree with that. Obviously, he will get his 9 NHL games but unless he absolutely lights it up in those 9 games I think he should be sent to the AHL. He's better off in the AHL putting on weight. It will be much harder to do in the NHL, especially in Vancouver where he will be flying so much.

The thing I love about this forum is everyone thinks they are a genius. They all pad each other's egos.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

No, actually, what I heard were Potvin's words - who likened Gretzky to hitting a rope.

That Sather said something similar - 'smoke'  doesn't surprise me - various NHLers have pointed out that he was extremely elusive.

Like Gretzky, Pettersson ALWAYS has his head up.  His eyes may glance down, but his stickhandling touch is to where he doesn't need to look at where the puck is.  Gretzky would also stay in motion, typically by doing his "Gretzky circle" around the puck while looking to make a play.  He was far from being the fastest player out there but I don't recall ever seeing him take a significant hit, and there was no shortage of players who tried.

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The thing I love about this forum is everyone thinks they are a genius. They all pad each other's egos.

I have seen this on the forum before, but very little in this thread, honestly.

(I left out the rest of your paragraph because I don't really disagree, I think he could be better served in the AHL if he comes in and doesn't look strong enough, not much else to add).

Archived