The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

I said 160. There is no way his weight is 177. People like him drink a $&!#load of water or eat a ton then weigh themselves to convince themselves and others they weigh more than they actually do.

You are seriously delusional, even by CDC standards.

So you're telling me he drank 17 lbs worth of water and/or food to trick Canuck fans into being at an 'acceptable' weight.

Thanks for the laugh for the night.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

Really good points imo.

Every player is going to get hit, and he'll be no exception, but how easy that is, and how frequently, he'll have a large say in.

I realize their was the enforcer element in the Gretzky era which I think people overestimate (and many probably weren't around to watch hockey then) - but regardless, the reality was that Gretzky was exceptionally difficult to get in a position to hit.

As Denis Potvin, one of the greatest players in the history of the game put it (don't know that exact wording, but it was something like this):

'Trying to hit Gretzky is like trying to bodycheck a rope.'

Glen Sather used to say trying to hit Gretzky is like trying to hit smoke... think that is what you might have heard.  Gretzky considered Potvin as one of the hardest guys to play against, he mentions always going to the other side when he was on the ice ( when asked who was toughest to play against it was Potvin and Chelios).

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You are seriously delusional, even by CDC standards.

So you're telling me he drank 17 lbs worth of water and/or food to trick Canuck fans into being at an 'acceptable' weight.

Thanks for the laugh for the night.

I said he was closer to 160 lbs from 172. People who are skinny and constantly weighing themselves drink and eat before they weigh themselves so if he says he is 177 I don't think he is. The fact of the matter is he hasn't put on any muscle mass which is the issue so maybe he grew taller but he still has no muscle mass. That is a huge issue in the NHL. Tanev has had issues with weight and oh look he is constantly injured. 

This is the whole reason why he fell to 5. It's not some little issue.

Just now, peaches5 said:

I said he was closer to 160 lbs from 172. People who are skinny and constantly weighing themselves drink and eat before they weigh themselves so if he says he is 177 I don't think he is. The fact of the matter is he hasn't put on any muscle mass which is the issue so maybe he grew taller but he still has no muscle mass. That is a huge issue in the NHL. Tanev has had issues with weight and oh look he is constantly injured. 

Yet he played very well against men all season long, including the playoffs where physicality was a factor. Pettersson has never shied away from the physical stuff that goes against him. Instead, he finds a way to spin off a check and score a goal or make a great play.

But keep talking like you know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

He didn't fall to five, he was ranked 5-9 by any list that mattered and was never talked as a first overall or second pick... I'm with you on the weight thing though, a lot more than his wrist will be wrapped the first time he's smooshed into the boards by Byfuglien..

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Look what Sundin did for the Twins. I don't think it would of hurt his development. It just means there's more room for young players to step up now.

I believe the twins would be great roll models for him

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He didn't fall to five, he was ranked 5-9 by any list that mattered and was never talked as a first overall or second pick... I'm with you on the weight thing though, a lot more than his wrist will be wrapped the first time he's smooshed into the boards by Byfuglien..

Bad choice of words there I was meaning the reason why he wasn't ranked first was that of his weight and it's still an issue. 

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yet he played very well against men all season long, including the playoffs where physicality was a factor. Pettersson has never shied away from the physical stuff that goes against him. Instead, he finds a way to spin off a check and score a goal or make a great play.

But keep talking like you know what you're talking about :rolleyes:

In Europe, not the NHL.

I listened to the TSN1040 interview with Elias Pettersson and was initially puzzled about his weight being 177 when nothing else anywhere had him with 12-15 pounds of that, so I listened again. Sure enough, he never said 177, he said 77. Meaning kilograms, which is the standard of measurement everywhere in the world except the United States and Canadian teams in most sports. And 77 kilograms is equal to 169.76 pounds, which is probably closer to his actual weight. I had heard that he had gained a little this season, so 169 seems more accurate than 177.

Listen to TSN1040 podcast with EP. at 9:41 he clearly says 77.

Based on the Twitter picture I could believe he is 170+ plus. I am about 180, similar height to him and my frame doesn't look jacked. Although I imagine hockey players have much bigger legs than normies like myself that is a bit more proportional in their build. Not saying the vast majority of his weight is in his legs but he most definitely has bigger legs than me while also having a similar upper body build.

With all that said he's still a teenager. His bulking up with come with being on the team. Problem with kids was stated before that after their draft they don't get proper gym time cause they are constantly playing hockey before and after they are drafted. Once on the team though he'll get the work out time he needs over the next few years. Where he'll still be under 22 years of age. Everyone worrying about his weight need to simmer it down. He's NHL ready in skill and speed. That's arguably more important for me going forward.

5 hours ago, peaches5 said:

You are on crack!

The guy has legs that outpower & outskate 90 to 95 % of the best hockey players in the world. With enough strength that he has balance, agility, control. And does not tire.

And he's 6'2''

I'm 5'11'' and weighed 157 lbs when I ran marathons in 2 & 1/2 hours. 8% BF composition. I guarantee you, he weighs more than I did & he's less than that 8%. I hit 190 lbs when I discovered how to not overtrain. And 200lbs when I discovered beer. 

43 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Should he be lifting that heavy pen?

That photographer needs to invest in a decent lens. There is no way Elias is that skinny.

He's 170ish. I looked the same way at his age and we're roughly the same height.

Lol, this entire discussion is to friggin laughable. @peaches5 you are basing your comments on lack of muscle mass on a twitter picture where he's sitting down?

5b097f6a7f4aa_ScreenShot2018-05-26at9_37_31AM.png.ba0943208e2698f2ffcc431010ba881d.png

From the combine BEFORE he was drafted. When he was weighed in at 161. It's not inconceivable that he's managed to pack on 8-9 pounds of muscle over the course of 1 year, and certainly not inconceivable that with proper training he can add another 5-7 over the summer.

If Pettersson comes in to camp at around 175, he is going to be JUST FINE.

When you compare Pettersson's strength and conditioning to say, when the Sedin's were drafted their strength and conditioning was nowhere near what Pettersson's is now. That is the primary reason the Sedin's initially struggled in the league before committing to getting into shape.

When you combine that with the changes in the circumstances of today's game relative to 1999-2000, and factoring in Elias's impressive quickness in his first three steps, his cerebral style of play which allows him to position himself on the ice and in the play to avoid a lot of major contact, I don't see any signs that Pettersson won't succeed as a rookie as he is now.

Add in a summer of training, and an entire season of training with the team, I can envision Pettersson sitting at 180 lbs by the end of the season. You're overblowing this "muscle mass" issue WAY out of proportion, and frankly it makes you look like a giant fool.

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Watching the Netflix Ice Gaurdians validated what I already knew from watching that era.  Nobody hit Gretzky because the retribution was and would be instantaneous and brutal.  Gilles talks about having to plenty of opportunities to hit him hard when his numbers were shown, but didn't because then he'd have to deal with Messier Semenko and the rest of the team.  That's one ToUgh HHOFer     another is Gretzky himself showing appreciation for Semenko and McSorely in his autobiography.  Remember there used to be no instigator penalty and an enforcer could pound away.

There is a reason Gretzky begged to have McSorely in the deal.  It gave him peace of mind to play his game without getting killed by Cookes .

If you watched those games you would remember what happened to fringe players that ignored the code which at the time was don't hit Gretzky, they'd be on the bus to the minors the next day.

Look at all the crap Crosby has had to deal with and imagine if he had the freedom to play that Gretzky did.  No concussions, and a lot more trophies. 

The players themselves like and want policeman but the game took them out because speed and rolling four lines is king.  At least for the time being.

Meh, I think you've seriously over-stated this - and in addition, enforcers simply didn't jump and pound guys that weren't also enforcers - that too was "code".

I'll have to catch that series - but as opposed to a story/documentary decades after the fact, I rely on watching decades of true enforcer era hockey.  Again, it's the opposition enforcer that paid the price, not the culprit, and that was after the fact.  The truer element here is that taking runs at an opposition superstar exposed your own, but if, for example, you were a team like the Calgary Flames, you didn't give a shizz, because you never had a superstar.  The 'fear' factor was real, but again, overstated - wadr to Dave Semenko, he feared Dave Brown as much as Dave Brown feared Dave Semenko.  The "deterrent" factor has always been grossly over-stated imo.

The reality is that superstars took a pounding regardless of enforcers - listen to Mario Lemieux's protests as a prime example - of being subject to constant abuse that no enforcer could prevent.

Gretzky has some 'protection' - no doubt - but that doesn't really change the fact that he was like 'hitting a rope' - which is what is actually relevent to this discussion - the elusiveness that EP will need and the awareness in order to thrive despite his size.

Archived