The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Dave Semenko could not prevent Gretzky from being hit.

All an enforcer like Semenko could do was react after the fact.

Semenko was literally on the ice a fraction of the time Gretzky was.

People overestimate the 'protection' elements of the enforcer era.

Look - if Ken Linseman ran Wayne Gretzky, he didn't answer to Dave Semenko.

Semenko dances with the opposition enforcer and justice was allegedly served.

But rat agitators had an X on Gretzky's back every single shift of his career - that is the other reality.

A number of posters have made the point that the Coil had a Semenko or McSorley.

They are not what made Gretzky nearly impossible to hit.

What made him so elusive is that he always knew where the opposition was - and while not an outright fast skater, he had elite quickness and lateral movement.

The reality was - the Edmonton may have had a heavy or two - but look realistically at their rivals:

ie the Lames

Tim Hunter

Jamie Macoun

Neil Sheehy

Joel Otto

Jim Peplinski

Paul Baxter

Handfuls of 200+pm guys.

Elias will be facing a different kind of threat though - he'll be facing relatively faster, more skilled bottom six forwards who are still physical, so while the heavy elements of the Gretzky era will largely be absent, he's still going to have to be highly aware and he's going to get hit - but he can seriously mitigate that with awareness and quickness.

True to a degree.........if you hit Gretzky, you knew that Semenko was coming at you next shift or he was coming after your star player.  If the other team could manage it, they would get their enforcer out at the same time, but it often didn't work out that way.  When the coach gave me a tap on the shoulder, I didn't go out looking for the other team's tough guy, I went looking for the offender to make him answer for his action.  

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

It's not just his weight it's his muscle mass. He is basically bone and skin. He is going to get injured very easily until he gets some muscle around his bones.

Ok, we get it, you think he is 130 lbs and is squishy. He is far beyond what you estimated his weight to be, weight wise. Just give it up already. "Size" doesn't always matter.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Or sign a stud (like the Bruins did with Chara) as a UFA.

Next summer comes up with OEL, Doughty, and EK.  Any one of those three would be fabulous for our D!!!!!

Personally, I would love to see EK here, but only if he is signed as a UFA.  

I think OEL is already signed...

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Won't somebody protect my poor, fragile Elias before he gets hurt by one of those vicious brutes! Oh the humanity!

I'm more worried about him getting hepatitis from Marchand?

Or not enough vitamin D. Frack that Elias is pale! The sun does sparkle off the glacier fjords, does it not!

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

As talented as he is, man he looks fragile he better beef up quick.... 

Image result for patrick kane shirtless

Patrick Kane says waaaaassssssssuuuuuuup!  Patrick is the one on the left.

59 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Ok, we get it, you think he is 130 lbs and is squishy. He is far beyond what you estimated his weight to be, weight wise. Just give it up already. "Size" doesn't always matter.

I said 160. There is no way his weight is 177. People like him drink a $&!#load of water or eat a ton then weigh themselves to convince themselves and others they weigh more than they actually do.

6 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

I said 160. There is no way his weight is 177. People like him drink a $&!#load of water or eat a ton then weigh themselves to convince themselves and others they weigh more than they actually do.

image.jpeg.81dc10478855a23557fa761404263004.jpeg

Johnny Gaudreau AKA Hulk Hogan.

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

He's also like 5'7 and you can see he has a lot more muscle around his bones. Pettersson is just all bone. That is going to be extremely hard to grow muscle from. It will take years to get his muscle mass up. and I can't imagine he added any judging by how he looks in that picture he posted. I can't imagine how he could have been skinnier. 

If the Canucks rush Pettersson and he gets injured it will have been a huge mistake to put him in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

You sound like you're his mom... "Now be careful out there son! Don't stay up after the game. Oh and don't forget your lunch!"

He hasn't put on any muscle in a year. This is why he fell in the draft. He's years away from an NHL body and one injury away from being out of the NHL.

Just now, peaches5 said:

He's also like 5'7 and you can see he has a lot more muscle around his bones. Pettersson is just all bone. That is going to be extremely hard to grow muscle from. It will take years to get his muscle mass up. and I can't imagine he added any judging by how he looks in that picture he posted. I can't imagine how he could have been skinnier. 

If the Canucks rush Pettersson and he gets injured it will have been a huge mistake to put him in the NHL. 

If you see muscle mass in that picture or the  one of Kane etc etc I can't help you I'm sorry. There are too many examples of lean and slight high skill players currently in the NHL being successful.    

Just now, Borvat said:

If you see muscle mass in that picture or the  one of Kane etc etc I can't help you I'm sorry. There are too many examples of lean and slight high skill players currently in the NHL being successful.    

I said there is more. If you can't see that Pettersson has absolutely no muscle mass you are blind. I don't need your help either I didn't ask for it.

Just now, peaches5 said:

I said there is more. If you can't see that Pettersson has absolutely no muscle mass you are blind. I don't need your help either I didn't ask for it.

So then what is the optimal muscle mass vs height to skill quotient.  Is it mathematical or do you have an eye for this stuff.  Can we quantify this so future picks meet this minimum or is it the old eyeball test. 

Image result for eyeball picsart

18 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

23 minutes ago, Borvat said:

image.png.ee9b9bdff5c1acf648cc6e7e4d2605a6.png

Lol, weight has somehow dominated this thread. It's not Pettersson's game to be physcial, though i can see how weight helps with enduring the season. Honestly, even if he is 177, in today's NHL that's probably close to ideal. I think we should be focusing on quotes from the GM and pundits that say he's virtually ready. 

Anyways, i'm stoked that we got him. It adds some relief, as I know Sweden for another year was thrown around, just so happy he'll be with us as of next season. 

50 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

Dave Semenko could not prevent Gretzky from being hit.

All an enforcer like Semenko could do was react after the fact.

Semenko was literally on the ice a fraction of the time Gretzky was.

People overestimate the 'protection' elements of the enforcer era.

Look - if Ken Linseman ran Wayne Gretzky, he didn't answer to Dave Semenko.

Semenko dances with the opposition enforcer and justice was allegedly served.

But rat agitators had an X on Gretzky's back every single shift of his career - that is the other reality.

A number of posters have made the point that the Coil had a Semenko or McSorley.

They are not what made Gretzky nearly impossible to hit.

What made him so elusive is that he always knew where the opposition was - and while not an outright fast skater, he had elite quickness and lateral movement.

The reality was - the Edmonton may have had a heavy or two - but look realistically at their rivals:

ie the Lames

Tim Hunter

Jamie Macoun

Neil Sheehy

Joel Otto

Jim Peplinski

Paul Baxter

Handfuls of 200+pm guys.

Elias will be facing a different kind of threat though - he'll be facing relatively faster, more skilled bottom six forwards who are still physical, so while the heavy elements of the Gretzky era will largely be absent, he's still going to have to be highly aware and he's going to get hit - but he can seriously mitigate that with awareness and quickness.

Watching the Netflix Ice Gaurdians validated what I already knew from watching that era.  Nobody hit Gretzky because the retribution was and would be instantaneous and brutal.  Gilles talks about having to plenty of opportunities to hit him hard when his numbers were shown, but didn't because then he'd have to deal with Messier Semenko and the rest of the team.  That's one ToUgh HHOFer     another is Gretzky himself showing appreciation for Semenko and McSorely in his autobiography.  Remember there used to be no instigator penalty and an enforcer could pound away.

There is a reason Gretzky begged to have McSorely in the deal.  It gave him peace of mind to play his game without getting killed by Cookes .

If you watched those games you would remember what happened to fringe players that ignored the code which at the time was don't hit Gretzky, they'd be on the bus to the minors the next day.

Look at all the crap Crosby has had to deal with and imagine if he had the freedom to play that Gretzky did.  No concussions, and a lot more trophies. 

The players themselves like and want policeman but the game took them out because speed and rolling four lines is king.  At least for the time being.

Would you please stop responding to this troll?  Now he's outright calling Elias Pettersson a liar and deceiver.  There's a reason he was first to make the ignore list.

Archived