The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I still think Hughes should have gone to the AHL.   

Try to get him out of this ‘rover’ style of play he likes to do and start getting more structure in his game.   

Obviously the skill levels arent aren’t even close to the same level, but the Subban rover crap didn’t work in the  A for him, and it won’t work for Hughes either.  

Definitely not in the NHL.   

I feel like the college route is letting him do a little more what he wants to do instead of focusing on much needed positional and structure attention. 

Having said all that, college is better for working out and building the body, so it’s kinda a crap shoot. 

Do you watch college hockey or just highlight packages?   Given the ratio of practice versus play it is some of the most structured hockey anywhere.    You seem to have a large misconception about the nature of NCAA Div 1 hockey if you believe it is without positional play and structure.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do you watch college hockey or just highlight packages?   Given the ratio of practice versus play it is some of the most structured hockey anywhere.    You seem to have a large misconception about the nature of NCAA Div 1 hockey if you believe it is without positional play and structure.

I love college hockey.  

Yes they get a lot more practice and training time,  it in no way is ncaa even close to as organized on ice as nhl or even ahl.   

Guys like Hughes get away with doing his own thing.   What he does in college will leave him benched or concussed in the first 5 games. 

17 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I love college hockey.  

Yes they get a lot more practice and training time,  it in no way is ncaa even close to as organized on ice as nhl or even ahl.   

Guys like Hughes get away with doing his own thing.   What he does in college will leave him benched or concussed in the first 5 games. 

Isn't this exactly what was said about Pettersson. I don't think coaching him out of what got him here is a great idea. There's a large gap in skill between where Hughes is as a player and where  (Jordan) Subban is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Isn't this exactly what was said about Pettersson. I don't think coaching him out of what got him here is a great idea. There's a large gap in skill between where Hughes is as a player and where  (Jordan) Subban is. 

I sort of agree with drummer, he's playing against weaker competition which gives him so much more leeway on trying whatever he wants. Against tougher competition that won't work and he'd have to adjust. 

With that being said, he's extremely smart and would adjust very quickly. He needs to work on his strength and win a championship as well :)

33 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I sort of agree with drummer, he's playing against weaker competition which gives him so much more leeway on trying whatever he wants. Against tougher competition that won't work and he'd have to adjust. 

With that being said, he's extremely smart and would adjust very quickly. He needs to work on his strength and win a championship as well :)

Fair enough. But it's not like the Wolverines and the Canucks even play similar styles, at least to my knowledge. So he'll be right back to the drawing board next season. He's obviously very intelligent so learning new systems and structures shouldn't be the end of the world. He wouldn't have been at the world's if Jeff Blashill thought it was an issue. 

Maybe he's roving around a little to much, but I'd assume his coach is wanting that otherwise he'd be benched. As you said this year is all about him growing stronger, and maybe putting some mustard on his slap shot. Really excited for this kid. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Seems he did fine at the Worlds. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Hughes looked perfectly comfortable playing against pros and was looking to be quite effective.

"Hughes to Pettersson" and "Pettersson to Hughes" are two phrases we should get used to boys and girls.

And if we really get lucky, "Hughes to Hughes."

Edited by komodo0921

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I love college hockey.  

Sorry, will agree to disagree entirely.   My experience is that NCAA is far above even the NHL in systems for many programs.   

Further, I could not disagree more with the bolded above.   Apparently you did not watch the WHC this past year in Denmark.   I was there in the flesh and he was even more of a "rover" than he appears to be at UofM and he was rewarded with more ice time and though many tried to hit him, he was unscathed.   

Continue to have your opinion, you are entitled to it, but in my opinion based upon my experience you are totally off base.   

• Upvote 2

On 9/18/2018 at 3:44 PM, aGENT said:

While 'generational', 1st OA players are neat and all, I actually think a team is better off building around more, more diverse and still really high quality players.

Easier to manage cap hits, more depth for injuries, more diverse skill sets etc, etc. Depth wins championships, not 1st OA players.

Attempting this very thing with my fantasy team.

I agree that depth is absolutely the better route to go down, the last 10 years have favored 1st OA and 2nd OA picks on cup winners heavily.

2018 - Ovi

2017 - Sid
2016 - Sid

2015 - Kane
2014 - Doughty
2013 - Kane
2012 - Doughty
2011 - Seguin 
2010 - Kane
2009 - Sid

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nooks said:

I agree that depth is absolutely the better route to go down, the last 10 years have favored 1st OA and 2nd OA picks on cup winners heavily.

2018 - Ovi

2017 - Sid
2016 - Sid

2015 - Kane
2014 - Doughty
2013 - Kane
2012 - Doughty
2011 - Seguin 
2010 - Kane
2009 - Sid

Even more favored when you factor in Malkin at 2OA, and throw in Toews at 3OA to really drill home the point that these top drafted players are key.

2018 - Ovi

2017 - Sid/Malkin
2016 - Sid/Malkin

2015 - Kane/Toews
2014 - Doughty
2013 - Kane/Toews
2012 - Doughty
2011 - Seguin 
2010 - Kane/Toews
2009 - Sid/Malkin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Nooks said:

2018 - Ovi

2017 - Sid
2016 - Sid

2015 - Kane
2014 - Doughty
2013 - Kane
2012 - Doughty
2011 - Seguin 
2010 - Kane
2009 - Sid

Wow!  Considering that’s 10 Cups in a row, this has to be more than just a coincidence, right?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  Considering that’s 10 Cups in a row, this has to be more than just a coincidence, right?

What's worse is with the exception of Nashville the runner-ups also all had either a 2nd OA or 1st OA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Psycho_Path said:

Agreed. Doesn't mean there isn't work to do. I love his game and have no issue with him being in the NCAA this year, time to really get the confidence moving. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nooks said:

What's worse is with the exception of Nashville the runner-ups also all had either a 2nd OA or 1st OA.

The cool thing about trends, they only are until they are not.   Puck doesn't care where someone is drafted.   Still takes the best team and for all we all know, the next 30 cup winners may all be from teams without a top three pick.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nooks said:

I guess it should come as no surprise our best teams were lead by Linden (taken 2nd) and the Twins (basically both taken 2nd.  I wonder if trading for a former 1st or 2nd overall could fit into this concept too.  The Devils traded for Hall (1st) and drafted Heischer (first)

i guess there are guarantees though, with the Oilers being the prime example.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

The cool thing about trends, they only are until they are not.   Puck doesn't care where someone is drafted.   Still takes the best team and for all we all know, the next 30 cup winners may all be from teams without a top three pick.    

With trades, wouldn’t every team have at least one top three pick?

Just now, Alflives said:

With trades, wouldn’t every team have at least one top three pick?

Not necessarily.   It still takes the top team to win and I don't put any credibility into draft position as an indicator of team success.   For example, would much rather have five or six top 10 picks versus on number one overall and a bunch of 20 something to support.    Every team is made up differently.   No question having the best potential talent any given year helps but without a supporting crew, means very little.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Not necessarily.   It still takes the top team to win and I don't put any credibility into draft position as an indicator of team success.   For example, would much rather have five or six top 10 picks versus on number one overall and a bunch of 20 something to support.    Every team is made up differently.   No question having the best potential talent any given year helps but without a supporting crew, means very little.

Well, I think we have two super duper elite talents in Pettersson and Hughes.  Building around them will serve us some Lord Stanley’s parades:)

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, fogducker said:

^ This is a substantial assumption based on no evidence.

Apologies if I misinterpret your post, or put words in your mouth, but it seems like you're suggesting Hughes should change his style, or at the very least focus on a different aspect of his game? If that's the case it seems ludicrous. We drafted him because he can move around the ice like nobody we've ever had and then want to eschew that in favour of more structure? I don't agree. Let the kid practice free wheeling even more in college so he comes to the AHL or NHL with all the confidence in the world.

Agreed.

Though from the highlights i've seen as well as stuff i have read, i am not sold on Quinn's defensive abilities either. I am not picky, i don't care how he does it but if he can use his diminutive size + edgework to seperate people from the puck in his own zone + break up plays + angle off incoming players, etc. at an elite level, i  wouldn't care how much he roved.

From his highlight reel package,he seems like someone who is going to NEED a Tanev or Willie Mitchell at his peak type players to partner him and pick up the defensive slack while he weaves his magic.