The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

On 8/9/2018 at 4:32 PM, chon derry said:

an accident was a fore gone conclusion , the only thing that went unknown was the location ,and the extent  of the inevitable carnage. pointing fingers … I can guarantee  you that experienced interprovincial driver's ARE pointing fingers , not wanting to be painted with the same brush. as well as adding input proactively, the good drivers have nothing to fear from C.V.S.E.  and I can guarantee again that theres an open line of communication between the  larger stakeholders ,more established companys and their drivers with ministry of transport and C.V.S.E. all POINTING FINGERS!   , most of the larger companies have to abide by provincially inforced fleet maintenance,and some run parallel to ISO standard.  the well established outfits with O/Os dictate that the O/OS have to buy new equipment every 2, 3 years. in your quote you mention "it should not be left to the trucking companies" THERE ARE NO COMPANIES issuing licences?. but there are companies and unions  that work closely with transport Canada. with industry wide safety initiatives and training .when they deregulated motor carrier licence to haul within BC , what used to cost a substantial amount  was dropped , meaning if you owned a truck you could haul anywhere ,..no expensive motor carrier licence required .there became to much competition , rates being undercut , wages dropping , calibre of driver dropping with the lower wage .safety went right out the window check out the vid at the 9 minute mark , I dealt with this exact same stupidity every winter for 22 years...I respect you for your informed posts on things, but you did admit to not knowing  about driving trucks , i'll add or the trucking industry.

I wasn't suggesting that companies are issuing licenses. Of course licenses are handed out by the relevant transportation authorities in every province.

Its the suggestion that its the responsibility of companies and business owners to regulate any industry that I take issue with. I am not involved in the trucking industry so I cannot speak to its standards but its the job of the government and the transport authorities to police this industry. As a new small business owner you can be damn sure that I will legally try and cut costs wherever I can. 

11 minutes ago, Toews said:

I wasn't suggesting that companies are issuing licenses. Of course licenses are handed out by the relevant transportation authorities in every province.

Its the suggestion that its the responsibility of companies and business owners to regulate any industry that I take issue with. I am not involved in the trucking industry so I cannot speak to its standards but its the job of the government and the transport authorities to police this industry. As a new small business owner you can be damn sure that I will legally try and cut costs wherever I can. 

and thats the way business is ,but with the transport industry safety is compromised with "cheap labour" its also compromised with the lack of proper maintanace, I took one look at the pic of the truck and what stood out was the tires , 3 of the 4 passenger side drive tires are different , not knowing whats on the drivers side but something as critical as TIRES , it begs the question ,what else is being neglected on this truck , at some "cost saving measure" cheaper is not always better. I've said once before in this thread you want to pay peanuts for wage ,  all you'll do is attract monkeys.

humboldt_truck.jpg.size-custom-crop.0x650.jpg

49 minutes ago, chon derry said:

and thats the way business is ,but with the transport industry safety is compromised with "cheap labour" its also compromised with the lack of proper maintanace, I took one look at the pic of the truck and what stood out was the tires , 3 of the 4 passenger side drive tires are different , not knowing whats on the drivers side but something as critical as TIRES , it begs the question ,what else is being neglected on this truck , at some "cost saving measure" cheaper is not always better. I've said once before in this thread you want to pay peanuts for wage ,  all you'll do is attract monkeys.

humboldt_truck.jpg.size-custom-crop.0x650.jpg

Are there not regulations on tires? I am not sure what the laws are in Alberta but I am sure certain combinations of tires are illegal in other provinces. And that's what I mean by responsible laws to police an industry.

You are right paying the minimum isn't going to get you the most experienced or best talent but people have to start somewhere. Even the most experienced of drivers were "monkeys" at some point. If you think the standard of driving has gone down then you need to look at creating more stringent regulations on who can obtain a license. Blaming someone for hiring a fully licensed driver is ridiculous IMO. That's what I meant when I said its unreasonable to expect business owners to regulate their own industry. The responsibility for this lies in the hands of our elected officials and transport authorities.

In any case to me it looks to me like this was willful negligence on the part of the driver. Of course as many have pointed out, we don't have all the details but if this guy deliberately ran a stop sign or was on his cellphone then the sole responsibility for this rests on his shoulders. 

theres 2 kinds of drivers ,the first is the driver that choose to be a driver, he'll always be the better driver , the second kind is the one taking advantage of an offer ,the thought being the offer was better than anything else going on at the time for this individual, no real desire to be any better than? because they have nothing to compare any sort of learned procedures to, this late starter would/should be driving doubles with somebody more experienced, and not let to go by himself ,and thats the one little part of your submission your not entirely wrong ,but regardless of the size of the company its still the  responsibility of the company to help/assist in self regulation, sure this guy somehow slipped thru the theory and practical parts of the vehical testing , and if I were the person that passed this person , well I cant even imagine how I would feel, but maybe TSB is looking into this person, I cant imagine why they wouldn't. far to many inexperienced drivers ,far to many rinky dink companys out there nowadays to  even expect anything remotely sincere regarding self regulation, but it does exist with the more reputable players.

12 minutes ago, chon derry said:

theres 2 kinds of drivers ,the first is the driver that choose to be a driver, he'll always be the better driver , the second kind is the one taking advantage of an offer ,the thought being the offer was better than anything else going on at the time for this individual, no real desire to be any better than? because they have nothing to compare any sort of learned procedures to, this late starter would/should be driving doubles with somebody more experienced, and not let to go by himself ,and thats the one little part of your submission your not entirely wrong ,but regardless of the size of the company its still the  responsibility of the company to help/assist in self regulation, sure this guy somehow slipped thru the theory and practical parts of the vehical testing , and if I were the person that passed this person , well I cant even imagine how I would feel, but maybe TSB is looking into this person, I cant imagine why they wouldn't. far to many inexperienced drivers ,far to many rinky dink companys out there nowadays to  even expect anything remotely sincere regarding self regulation, but it does exist with the more reputable players.

When you leave businesses to self-regulate people usually die or are severely harmed. Its not just small business owners who exploit lax regulations but big businesses do so on a regular basis. Greed isn't a quality that is limited to the little man.

This guy slipped through likely because the test wasn't good enough to weed out the inexperienced drivers. Seems like Alberta is acknowledging the issue which will hopefully go a ways towards fixing this problem.

Alberta eyes tighter trucking regulations in wake of Humboldt crash

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

When you leave businesses to self-regulate people usually die or are severely harmed. Its not just small business owners who exploit lax regulations but big businesses do so on a regular basis. Greed isn't a quality that is limited to the little man.

This guy slipped through likely because the test wasn't good enough to weed out the inexperienced drivers. Seems like Alberta is acknowledging the issue which will hopefully go a ways towards fixing this problem.

Alberta eyes tighter trucking regulations in wake of Humboldt crash

at any given time theres 25,000 driving jobs available in Canada ,so there is some pressure on the testing of potential drivers . companys under contract to haul for other companys, handling billions worth of commodities at the risk of lose and damage, add to that the true cost and profit margins    have to be trustworthy and have to self regulate, logistics aren't a simple thing. having been with (MOTH)  ministry of highways , and then thru privatization , with the contractor the self regulation is called "partnering" the gov overseer's used to identify deficiancies , it was then changed to the contractor identifying problems ,deficiancies , and followed up by overseers , so if there was something that the gov inspectors spotted ,it meant the contractor wasn't doing their job, this form of doing things is ISO international standards org,  parallel  the bigger the contract the more lucrative it is  this where trust and self regulation is going, they'll give you the rope ,and you can help pull it, or put it around your neck. 

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

at any given time theres 25,000 driving jobs available in Canada ,so there is some pressure on the testing of potential drivers . companys under contract to haul for other companys, handling billions worth of commodities at the risk of lose and damage, add to that the true cost and profit margins    have to be trustworthy and have to self regulate, logistics aren't a simple thing. having been with (MOTH)  ministry of highways , and then thru privatization , with the contractor the self regulation is called "partnering" the gov overseer's used to identify deficiancies , it was then changed to the contractor identifying problems ,deficiancies , and followed up by overseers , so if there was something that the gov inspectors spotted ,it meant the contractor wasn't doing their job, this form of doing things is ISO international standards org,  parallel  the bigger the contract the more lucrative it is  this where trust and self regulation is going, they'll give you the rope ,and you can help pull it, or put it around your neck. 

I can accept that. Thanks for the discussion and sharing your knowledge. 

#StanleyCup visits Humboldt Broncos memorial site.  While their Stanley Cup dreams went unfulfilled, we thought we’d bring Stanley to them.  God Bless RIP Saskatchewan highway intersection #35 & #335) @NHL @HockeyHallFame @HumboldtBroncos #HumboldtStrong

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

The owner of the trucking company has now been charged as well.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4534370/owner-trucking-company-charged-humboldt-bus-crash/

Important to also say what he’s charged with:

7 federal charges

1 provincial charge

The maximum penalty for a federal hours of service failing is $5,000 per offence, while the provincial charge carries a $310 penalty. A court can, however, use discretion to impose a penalty up to $2,000.

Long story short, he’s receiving fines.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Important to also say what he’s charged with:

7 federal charges

1 provincial charge

Long story short, he’s receiving fines.

Agreed.  But at the time I posted the link, the news story was much shorter.

• 2 months later...

Driver pleads guilty

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/truck-driver-in-humboldt-broncos-crash-pleads-guilty/ar-BBRY0Js?li=AAggNb9

"I plead guilty, your honour," Jaskirat Singh Sidhu said as he stood before a judge in a court in Melfort, Sask.

Sixteen people lost their lives and 13 players were injured when Sidhu's semi-unit loaded with peat moss and the Broncos bus collided in rural Saskatchewan last April.

•  
  •  
  •  

Sidhu was charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 charges of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

"His position to me was, 'I just want to plead guilty. I don't want you to plea bargain. I don't want a trial,'" Sidhu's lawyer, Mark Brayford, said outside court, his client beside him with his head down.

"Mr. Sidhu advised me: 'I don't want to make things any worse. I can't make things any better, but I certainly don't want to make them worse by having a trial.'"

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The truck driver plead guilty today...which was a huge relief for families.

I believe he truly seems very remorseful.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-truck-driver-in-fatal-humboldt-broncos-crash-pleads-guilty/

Ye know this could be the one and only time I say this but I wonder if “x” years in prison will be of any use.

i guess from a deterrent standpoint yes.  But man, this guy is going to have a terribly sad and tormented life going forward. 

10 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Ye know this could be the one and only time I say this but I wonder if “x” years in prison will be of any use.

i guess from a deterrent standpoint yes.  But man, this guy is going to have a terribly sad and tormented life going forward. 

Prison is too often more like post secondary criminal education combined with  Linkedin  for criminals.  It allows criminals to hone/perfect their criminal skills and expand their professional criminal  networks. 

18 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Maybe but life is what you make of it. If you sit there wallowing in self-pity then you are as good as a dead man walking. While I can't put myself in this man's shoes I think if I were him I would try to spend the rest of my life trying to make up for this, impossible as that maybe.

Just now, Toews said:

Maybe but life is what you make of it. If you sit there wallowing in self-pity then you are as good as a dead man walking. While I can't put myself in this man's shoes I think if I were him I would try to spend the rest of my life trying to make up for this, impossible as that maybe.

Maybe he could talk to school kids about the consequences of making poor choices, or some such thing? 

29 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I don't think jail time would do any good at all. In the case of some of the victims' families, it might make them feel better, (I say "might", because I have no idea how they feel towards the driver) but the driver isn't an evil person. He's an undertrained and probably overworked guy who made a terrible decision that ended the lives of several people.

There has to be punishment meted out, because that the society we live in, but the true punishment will be living the rest of his life with the knowledge of what he did...

Just now, Alflives said:

Maybe he could talk to school kids about the consequences of making poor choices, or some such thing? 

I was thinking more in terms of volunteer work for the underprivileged. Your idea could work too but I don't think he should be too visible out there to minimize whatever trauma that may cause families of the victims. 

Archived