The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dota 2 World Championship - Rogers Aren

Ossi Vaananen

I didn't see a thread, so I figured I'd let my inner nerd shine. The DOTA 2 World Championship is being played at Rogers Arena this year. I believe the group stage is currently on going, while the championship takes place from Aug. 20-25th. I'm curious, is anyone going?

I haven't ever been to an e-sports event, but I might check this out. The prize pool is like 27 million, so big stakes. I'm not going to plug ticketmaster, or even link the event, just curious on people's thoughts. 

As someone that played at the the top tier of League of Legends, I despise DOTA 2 and really could care less about the game's competitive scene. With that said, I think eSports events are really taking off and they're a fantastic experience - so if you're not jaded about the game, I'd suggest going and taking in the atmosphere which will be more exciting than the game itself.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

As someone that played at the the top tier of League of Legends, I despise DOTA 2 and really could care less about the game's competitive scene. With that said, I think eSports events are really taking off and they're a fantastic experience - so if you're not jaded about the game, I'd suggest going and taking in the atmosphere which will be more exciting than the game itself.

You mean you couldn't care less? If you could care less, it means you care some...

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

4 hours ago, Fateless said:

dota > LoL -_-

I'm definitely a League of Legends guy and haven't really found an interest in DOTA, but it's cool to have some e-sports tournaments locally. A while back the League of Legends North American Finals were held in Vancouver. Back then I was still a newer fan, but if it were to happen again, I might head over, just to actually experience a live e-sports event in person.

On a vaguely related note, I always find it odd that DOTA flaunts the prize pool so much. In traditional sports, many leagues don't have any sort of prize pool for winning the championship (or it's minimal). You effectively get paid in endorsements and future raises in your salary. Does DOTA's market presence with advertisers and all that rival League's? I get the vibe that hyping up a prize pool seems like the way a smaller e-sport would have to hype up their tournament, but I know DOTA is far from small, so maybe I'm missing something. I haven't kept up with DOTA at all.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm definitely a League of Legends guy and haven't really found an interest in DOTA, but it's cool to have some e-sports tournaments locally. A while back the League of Legends North American Finals were held in Vancouver. Back then I was still a newer fan, but if it were to happen again, I might head over, just to actually experience a live e-sports event in person.

On a vaguely related note, I always find it odd that DOTA flaunts the prize pool so much. In traditional sports, many leagues don't have any sort of prize pool for winning the championship (or it's minimal). You effectively get paid in endorsements and future raises in your salary. Does DOTA's market presence with advertisers and all that rival League's? I get the vibe that hyping up a prize pool seems like the way a smaller e-sport would have to hype up their tournament, but I know DOTA is far from small, so maybe I'm missing something. I haven't kept up with DOTA at all.

LoL has a much larger player base but dota definitely owns the title of biggest esport tournament right now. With the hype, production value, prize money, advertisement, etc. placed in it. Lots of people don't play dota and only watch. 

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

LoL has a much larger player base but dota definitely owns the title of biggest esport tournament right now. With the hype, production value, prize money, advertisement, etc. placed in it. Lots of people don't play dota and only watch. 

I'd be curious to see the dollars involved in it, but for viewership (at least in 2017), it looks like League is still a bit ahead in viewership according to this one source anyways:

Dota 2 2017 International: https://esc.watch/tournaments/dota2/international-2017

League of Legends 2017 World Championship: https://esc.watch/tournaments/lol/2017-world-championship

That said, I notice Team Liquid seems to be big in Dota based on those last year numbers. In my experience, Liquid is a North American Team which would perhaps imply that in NA, Dota 2 may be more popular to watch.

Also, these numbers are from 2017, so maybe it's changed in the past year, who knows.

as someone who really struggles to enjoy 90% of anything sports-related, my interest in this sort of thing remains embarrassingly high. so naturally i went to the opening day today and had a good time. some amazing plays, very high production value, and a great fluid event that permitted easy coming/going with the games of interest

Rogers Arena really suited the event for this reason, imo. though all the best seats were taken throughout the entire day, there was a lot of 'good seats' constantly available from all angles. much better than when these events are held at smaller venues and you just don't want to lose your spot.

as a very long-time dota player, the quality of play was remarkable and mind boggling. embarrassing that even after all these years i don't think to even attempt half the sh-t these guys do

Archived