The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tom Wilson suspended 20 games

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Per their video Sundqvist was allowed to be checked and should have expected it. Their issue is that Wilson delivered a hit to the head instead of a check through the body.  He had time to control his hit and simply didn't.   

Did not have time.

12 minutes ago, DarkestThought said:

It's an arguable statement, but I guess not in todays NHL...

I get it. I am old school and watched live on my TV those Scott Stevens hits. And loved it. It's just fact that we are in a different era of liabilities, lawyers, and lawsuits. Time for players and fans to move forward in ther thinking. 

14 minutes ago, xereau said:

There is literally no way that this hit was avoidable.  It was less than 1 second from the time Sundqvist turned into the middle of the ice to the moment of impact.  Wilson was coming into the play area, and the man carrying the puck put himself in the line of fire. Wilson did not seek his head, his head ended up on his shoulder.  Is the correct play to allow the opposition free reign in the offensive end?  Is the correct play to put HIMSELF in a position to get massively injured by bailing on the play just because Sundqvist is an idiot?  Wilson did everything he was ever taught on this, and the end result was bad.  I am personally disgusted by this decision.

I'm not saying it wasn't avoidable. I'm saying the league is trying to change Wilson's game and trying to send a message that these types of hits are still not ok, regardless if it was avoidable or not.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I figured it was going to be 5 - 10 games.  But 20.  Wow.

If they really want to take head shots out, this is one way to do it.

If the league really wanted to take out head shots they wouldn't allow bare knuckle face punching, now would they?  

I am surprised at the suspension for sure.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the league really wanted to take out head shots they wouldn't allow bare knuckle face punching, now would they?  

I am surprised at the suspension for sure.  

I think that's coming.  I think we will see a day where fighting will be a game misconduct.  It's almost gone from the game now, so I don't see it as that big of a stretch to outlaw it completely.

Just now, goalie13 said:

I think that's coming.  I think we will see a day where fighting will be a game misconduct.  It's almost gone from the game now, so I don't see it as that big of a stretch to outlaw it completely.

There are a lot of US fans, who are the WWE type.  They like the fights, and think that's hockey.  Eliminating big hits and fighting will cost the league a lot of US fans.  Canadians will watch the game because it's in our blood.  

37 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

The man has been suspended 4 times within 105 games played, sometime he has to learn. That's the only reason he's been thrown the book. 

Oh I get that he has a significant history. But his history is only relevant (or should only be relevant) if the hit is a head shot. I don't consider this a head shot, or at the very least, a head shot that Wilson could avoid. 

23 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

This is going to be appealed by the NHLPA. It was a clean hit, he maybe came from the blind side, but he never targeted or made contact with the head. Not his fault the guy can't take a hard clean open ice hit.

wzExV5b.png&key=6da5bfe558a8d5f657e68f6b

I agree completely. Not a head shot in my opinion. Therefore his history shouldn't even be a factor. Seems to me they through the book at him because of his history, but the decision never should have made it to that point.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He will most certainly appeal this length of suspension.  An independent arbitrator will reduce, if not totally eliminate, the suspension.  

Totally eliminate? Never. At most I would expect a 5 game reduction if any at all. Just because you appeal doesn't automatically mean the suspension will change at all.

Archived