The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How did Elias Pettersson Fall to #5 in the 2017 draft? - Friedman's 31 Thoughts Podcast

Rush17

Thanks for that. I liked the part where they mentioned that if Elias had played junior in North America his draft year would he have gone number one? I think yes. Love the Gretzky comparison as I have used the same comparison. Not that EP will be a legend, but in the smarts and build comparisons. 

14 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Is Delorme our Swedish scout?

No. No he isn't.

It was Delorme. Non-Swedish scouts in general are not prohibited from watching or voicing an opinion on Swedish players. From a Kuzma article:

“Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.

5 minutes ago, dougieL said:

It was Delorme. Non-Swedish scouts in general are not prohibited from watching or voicing an opinion on Swedish players. From a Kuzma article:

“Ronnie saw him early and was a loud voice for him right from the start — even before any of us had seen him,” recalled Canucks general manager Jim Benning. “He was in my office and said ‘we’ve really got to watch this guy.’ He loved his skill and hockey sense.

I stand corrected.

That's what they say about assumptions eh!

So what the hell is Gradin doing over there anyways?

I remembered in the draft the sportsnet anchors was saying the GM's had to pic the best player on the board and not what they need. At that time Nico and Patrick was all anyone could talk about. How next top tier generational player they were projected to become so EP for me was whos this dude... and all anyone spoke of compared to Nico which was his constituency and defensive awareness - Patrick was his skating and injury history - EP all Sportsnet said was he was small and skinny. 

2 minutes ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

I remembered in the draft the sportsnet anchors was saying the GM's had to pic the best player on the board and not what they need. At that time Nico and Patrick was all anyone could talk about. How next top tier generational player they were projected to become so EP for me was whos this dude... and all anyone spoke of compared to Nico which was his constituency and defensive awareness - Patrick was his skating and injury history - EP all Sportsnet said was he was small and skinny. 

Yeah and Burkie all

"That's a small body" , or whatever it was.

JB was beaming over the pick, just like he was about Hughes.

Petterson was a steal. Last year draft talent was crazy good but Quinn Hughes maybe another steal only time will tell.

if Petterson wasn’t so skinny Canucks would of never got him also if Hughes wasn’t 5’10 Canucks wouldn’t of got him.

Canucks Future looks good.

Archived