The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Michael Del Zotto

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Let's hope not. If he plays a game this year we lose a protection spot for the Seattle draft.

What if Benning signed Hughes and Pettersson to new contracts with a NTC? Would they be exempt from the expansion draft? I would have no issue if these two guys had NTCs. I don't want them going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What if Benning signed Hughes and Pettersson to new contracts with a NTC? Would they be exempt from the expansion draft? I would have no issue if these two guys had NTCs. I don't want them going anywhere.

Can there be NTC clauses in ELC's?  Can there be an NTC before a player reaches his UFA years?

Just now, Alflives said:

Can there be NTC clauses in ELC's?  Can there be an NTC before a player reaches his UFA years?

Sorry, I have no idea, but that's an interesting thought. I guess it doesn't matter much, as Pettersson (and Hughes if he's affected) will be protected. Same with Boeser, Virtanen, Hutton, Gaudette and Horvat. 

I don't think MDZ is anywhere near as bad as some people think and although I generally trust Green's assessment of his personnel, I don't think he deserves to be a healthy scratch to the extent he has been in Vancouver this year.  Something about MDZ's style or decision-making out there that Green just won't overlook whereas Pouliot/Tony Stretcher are getting quite a long leash if you really dissect their games night-in-night-out.  Not saying the kids (Stretcher/Pouliot) are bad, far from it, just that they're certainly not outplaying MDZ to the point they should be getting almost twice the opportunities to play that MDZ is getting.  Maybe people see it differently and I'm definitely open to someone pointing out to me the deficiencies in MDZ's game compared to a couple other d-regulars but it must be incredibly frustrating for a veteran of almost 600 NHL games not to get into the line-up of a mediocre d-core on a more regular basis.  If Green is as good a communicator as people say he is you'd think MDZ would know exactly what he needs to do in order to stick in the line-up - and if Green has told him and he hasn't committed to doing it then I guess he's getting what he deserves I suppose. 

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

One - It's only NMC's (not NTC's) that require a protection slot (they're not 'exempt').

Two - neither are eligible for either.

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Doesn’t mean there exempt it means the team MUST protect them. Just like Eriksson must now be one of the player protected. 

Just now, Tracksuit said:

Doesn’t mean there exempt it means the team MUST protect them. Just like Eriksson must now be one of the player protected. 

Yeah, no, you are incorrect about that. Eriksson, specifically is not one of those players that the team HAS to be protected in the upcoming expansion draft. I suspect that it would be obvious that he would NOT be protected.

Addition by subtraction if we get rid of him.  His play in his own end simply isn't acceptable from an NHL defensemen.  I'm not thrilled about Pouliot in the lineup, but at least he's young enough where he can learn how to play defense.  MDZ is a total liability and it's unreasonable to expect he will ever be capable of playing even AHL quality defense.  Literally any return we get for this pylon is a bonus.

Just now, Tracksuit said:

Unless he agree to go he’s one on the forwards protected.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/loui-eriksson

2016-17 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $7,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000
2017-18 NMC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $7,000,000 $1,000,000 $8,000,000 $8,000,000
2018-19 NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $6,000,000 $1,000,000 $7,000,000 $7,000,000
2019-20 NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $4,000,000 $1,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000
2020-21 Modified NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000
2021-22 Modified NTC $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $3,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,000,000

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

2 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:
* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

He doesn't have a current NMC.

39 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Even Loui's own mother wouldn't claim him in an expansion draft.:P

That wasn't the discussion.

And who knows, we might be able to sell it with a 2nd piece. That said, I'd imagine we'll just lose a guy besides him and call it a day.

Archived