Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Penguins trade Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan, 2nd-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (MIN) to Panthers for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

Just now, shayster007 said:

Great trade for pits. Curious to what happens next. Brassard must be being moved again, and I wonder if that would effect our ability to move (if we wanted to) Sutter. Not saying I want Sutter gone, I would just love to see some young blood brought in, or a few extra picks in our home draft.

I’d take Bujgstad for Sutter straight up.. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’d take Bujgstad for Sutter straight up.. 

I as well. But if Sutter is up for grabs I assume JB would be looking for young D in return. With Gaudette steadily improving our center depth is stellar compared to our young Dman depth. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

giphy.gif

Best coach in the world.........one cup and NO Jack Adams. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Can anyone smarter then me tell me any reason why Florida does this trade?

Great trade for pits. Curious to what happens next. Brassard must be being moved again, and I wonder if that would effect our ability to move (if we wanted to) Sutter. Not saying I want Sutter gone, I would just love to see some young blood brought in, or a few extra picks in our home draft.

Not to insinuate that I'm smarter than you, but happy to give your inquiry a shot. Few reasons I can think of:

- Salary dump in order to spend on possible free agents come July 1 (Both Brassard and Sheahan are UFAs come July 1st)

- Trade deadline bait in both Brassard and Sheahan (According to David Pagnotta, an additional Brassard trade is in the works)

- Draft picks (Added a 2nd and two 4ths)

- Staying competitive this season while creating flexibility in the next few years.

Fair trade? Not sure. If I was Tallon I would've tried to pry Pittsburgh's 1st, but can't say it was considered. Chia level trade? Not at all. 

• Upvote 4

Bjugstad 12 pts in 32 games this season (5 goals).  He was struggling towards the end under Gallant.  Last season was a bit of a renaissance when he got moved to wing to play in the top-6 - 19 goals for 49pts.  Not really sure what he is at this point.

7 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Not to insinuate that I'm smarter than you, but happy to give your inquiry a shot. Few reasons I can think of:

- Salary dump in order to spend on possible free agents come July 1 (Both Brassard and Sheahan are UFAs come July 1st)

- Trade deadline bait in both Brassard and Sheahan (According to David Pagnotta, an additional Brassard trade is in the works)

- Draft picks (Added a 2nd and two 4ths)

- Staying competitive this season while creating flexibility in the next few years.

Fair trade? Not sure. If I was Tallon I would've tried to pry Pittsburgh's 1st, but can't say it was considered. Chia level trade? Not at all. 

Thanks bud! All solid points. I just couldn't wrap my head around why a team like Florida would make a trade that sent two younger players with term for pending ufas. I guess a 2nd and 2 4ths isn't bad, but doesn't seem like a great haul.

Wonder if they can find some value for brassard then equates to what the lost in the trade. Just seems like a poor trade to me.

Edited by shayster007
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Bjugstad seems to have a reputation for not using his size very well, and being extremely injury prone. McCann is a third liner. I can't see either player having a real renaissance in Pittsburgh. Supporting cast members? Sure.

• Hydration 2

33 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

He hasn’t really taken that much of a step forward since the Canucks moved him, it would be interesting to see how he does when he is given some ice time with players like Crosby or Malkin. 

?

He's played center this season for them and has almost as many points as Virtanen in fewer games.  Easier to progress as a winger than a center in the NHL  (makes what Linden did all the more impressive since he was a winger in junior but got switched to center in the NHL because we were so short in that position).

Looks nice for Pittsburgh tbh, nice trade. Should be decent for Florida too if they flip both guys and I imagine they will.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Let's say FLA flips Brassard and Sheahan for a 2nd and 3rd.  They end up with 2 2nds, a 3rd and 2 4ths for McCann and Bjustad's bloated contract.  That is a hell of a deal for them.

Then they also have $21 million in cap space next season. Lots of high profile ufa’s this summer (Karlsson, Panarin, Duchene, bobrovsky, and of course, MDZ ;))

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Thanks bud! All solid points. I just couldn't wrap my head around why a team like Florida would make a trade that sent two younger players with term for pending ufas. I guess a 2nd and 2 4ths isn't bad, but doesn't seem like a great haul.

Wonder if they can find some value for brassard then equates to what the lost in the trade. Just seems like a poor trade to me.

Guess it just depends on what Florida's needs are. If they're all about the draft picks, I'm sure they can acquire at least a couple of 3rds for both players. If they're looking for prospects, I can imagine a couple of B-level prospects. I think it will be a poor trade if they can't flip them, or if other GMs catch on to their plan and offer nickels on the dollar. I doubt either will remain with the team past July.

I dont know why but I feel like this move is going to lead to something along the lines of Murray for Bob.

52 minutes ago, firestorm238 said:

Jeet Sweezus - that's highway robbery.  

:blink:

A 2nd, 2x 4th and 2 players who could bring in more assets at the deadline...

For 

2 players with a combined 30 pts in 78 games...costing 5.350M$

IMO its a good hockey deal filling both teams' needs.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I dont know why but I feel like this move is going to lead to something along the lines of Murray for Bob.

can't see it, Bob's never been much of a playoff goalie. 

I think Florida got underpaid big time. They deserve it for robbing us of McCann to begin with though. 

Hope Jared does well for them. 

• Confused 6