Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Penguins trade Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahan, 2nd-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (PIT), 4th-round pick (MIN) to Panthers for Nick Bjugstad, Jared McCann

33 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

So what happens to Loui? Backup in Florida or retire?

How does it impact Van?

BADLY. 

Bh6uzX3CcAQFnWt.png

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

How does it impact Van?

His salary drops to 1.5 mill next year the 1  mill for next 2 seasons. 

He'll likely get "Injured" ;) and retire on LTIR if he can't make it as backup next season.

That way no one gets cap penalty. Canucks catch a big break.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

There's a reason that we held on to virtanen and there's a reason mccann's been traded twice. There's more to all of this than numbers on a screen man.

McCanns attitude is a bit "different". 

From day one when he got drafted i felt that way.  And when we traded him i thought that was part of reason he got traded. 

Virt is always smiling. Big happy go lucky guy..  that's part of the reason. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

How does it impact Van?

Luongo won't retire early - he wants to win a Cup.  He'll be back up.

4 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Can anyone smarter then me tell me any reason why Florida does this trade?

Great trade for pits. Curious to what happens next. Brassard must be being moved again, and I wonder if that would effect our ability to move (if we wanted to) Sutter. Not saying I want Sutter gone, I would just love to see some young blood brought in, or a few extra picks in our home draft.

I am wondering too.  I'm assuming they have figured Bjugstad and McCann have reached their ceilings (for the most part) and would rather make room for someone else at this point?

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Derp.

spare the plus/minus pseudolyticz apollo. 

If you're going to play that game, look realistically at McCann's outcomes - which aren't flattering (and he has a -9 himself in primarily ozone starts).

I'll take the Gud deal anyday over and over again.

Meh, just Apollo being Apollo.  Within a month of Gudbranson leaving this team, he will be roasting management for letting go of "the biggest toughest and most handsome bigman in the NHL.  This team has become wimp-city once again."

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am wondering too.  I'm assuming they have figured Bjugstad and McCann have reached their ceilings (for the most part) and would rather make room for someone else at this point?

Bjugstad has 12pts in 32 games this season and is earning 4.1M for another 2 seasons after this one.  There were already rumours that they were trying to move him when Gallant was still coach.  34pts in 67 games and then only 14 in 54 games in 2016/17.  They moved him to wing last year and he produced playing mostly with Barkov (49pts).  This season his production dropped though. 

LeBrun believes they will be aggressive in pursuing Panarin so he will be out of their top-6.  They have Dadonov, Huberdeau and Hoffman on the wings and Barkov/Trocheck as the Cs.  They have more cost effective options for their bottom-6 and need the cap space.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, timberz21 said:

You do know that McCann is not that overhyped, former 1st rounder, who had a decent 1st year in Vancouver as an 19 years old?  Now he's 22 years old McCann, who's already played  over 200 NHL games, is on his 3rd team, has a 0.33PPG and has career high of 9 goals and 28 pts...

Gotta move on and stop thinking about the 19 years old kid and realize he's a 3rd liner at best now.

Rutherford thinks McCann still has a lot of upside. 

George Richards in the Athletic (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/796329/2019/02/01/jim-rutherford-gives-details-explanation-of-blockbuster-deal-with-panthers/

Rutherford was gushing about him following the deal. Consider his scouting report on McCann.

“This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

• Upvote 1

Interesting how both of these teams are willing to move on from roster players albeit for different reasons.  This is Pittsburgh's move and it brings size and grit to their lineup.

I'd like the Canucks to change up two roster players as well.          

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Rutherford thinks McCann still has a lot of upside. 

George Richards in the Athletic (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/796329/2019/02/01/jim-rutherford-gives-details-explanation-of-blockbuster-deal-with-panthers/

Rutherford was gushing about him following the deal. Consider his scouting report on McCann.

“This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

Rutherford probably thinks McCann is an upgrade on Brassard as a 3rd line shut down centre. I like the move for Pittsburgh.  Maybe McCann can still turn into a Kesler type player with speed and grit and the ability to score.  That's what we hoped he would be when drafted. We'll see.  That said, I still like the Gudbranson trade and like what Gudbranson brings to the Canucks.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Rutherford probably thinks McCann is an upgrade on Brassard as a 3rd line shut down centre. I like the move for Pittsburgh.  Maybe McCann can still turn into a Kesler type player with speed and grit and the ability to score.  That's what we hoped he would be when drafted. We'll see.  That said, I still like the Gudbranson trade and like what Gudbranson brings to the Canucks.    

Rutherford said Bjugstad will start as C3 with McCann likely playing wing.  Rutherford prefers Kessel on the 3rd line to spread scoring although Kessel wants to play with Malkin.  Will be up to Sullivan.

He explains that Brassard had to change roles coming to Pittsburgh and wasn't playing at the level he is capable of.  He played top-6 C on his other teams - it just didn't work out as C3.  He also didn't kill penalties and had limited PP time.

Edited by mll

Holy smokes. Tallon thinks he won the trade. Benning better be calling Tallon every hour on the hour until Feb. 25th.

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Holy smokes. Tallon thinks he won the trade. Benning better be calling Tallon every hour on the hour until Feb. 25th.

Benning had similar words after trading McCann.  Yet, in both cases McCann was traded.  I think these are two good GM’s Who don’t say bad things about players, after they trade them.  (Remember Gillis’ comments about Hodgeson after the trade?). 

Something is not right with McCann.  Pittsburgh will be his last chance to be an NHL player.  

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Mean while he’s got nearly identical stats to Jake who’s the same age ....but I guess patiences only applies to prospects in the Canucks system. 

I love how the same posters who constantly overhype our own prospects and talk about patience are the same ones being super critical of other teams' prospects. That's CDC for ya

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

I love how the same posters who constantly overhype our own prospects and talk about patience are the same ones being super critical of other teams' prospects. That's CDC for ya

Funny, I've seen plenty here trash our own prospects and act like other teams prospects are all superstars. Nice try, but it works both ways.

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Not sure I see how Pittsburgh “fleeced” Florida like some of you claim. Is this because Bjugstad is tall? He doesn’t play up to his height, injured fairly often and not even playing all that well this season, although had a pretty good years last year. Only really good thing is they are younger than the players Pittsburgh shipped out and have some years on their deals. Pretty even deal imo. 

6 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I felt like a lot of heat towards Gudbranson because at the time it seems like we gave up on a “blue-chip” prospect and potential “top-6 center” in McCann plus a high draft pick in return for Gudbranson who is more suited for a 3rd pairing D. However, the reality is McCann isn’t someone special and he is just a 3rd line player. Trading a 3rd line player for a 3rd pairing D is equal in value. The only part that the Canucks wish they didn’t give up was the 33rd overall pick, because players like DeBrincat and Giard was available for that pick at the time. I don’t know who the Canucks would of picked with the 33rd overall pick, but it is a moot point now. Gudbranson brings an aspect of the game that the Canucks line up is really lacking. It is a hockey trade that JB felt he has to make to add depth and physicality for the back-end.

But then you have to ask yourself why did Vancouver pick McCann over Pastrnak?

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

But then you have to ask yourself why did Vancouver pick McCann over Pastrnak?

They probably had mccann ranked higher like 80% of the rankings and mock drafts.

• Hydration 1