The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense - Defense - Defense- DEFENSE

*Buzzsaw*

I'll start this by saying I like the drafts Benning has made... I like some of his trades.

But getting past that...  I really hope this game is making Jim Benning sit up and take notice of a real crisis in the Canucks lineup.

This game hilights the fact, all of his moves, all of his drafts, everything about what he does this summer SHOULD be focused on Defense.

The problem with the Canucks in this game was not about Jacob Markstrom... the problem was the D in front of him.

I'm sorry, maybe I like his drafting... but I have to question the lack of effort on the part of Benning to put an effective defense in front of Markstrom.

He has been letting D go... and acquiring forwards... all his moves with the exception of Schenn have been all about the forward position.

In the meantime, he has allowed two defensemen, (Gudbranson, Del Zotto) to disappear without replacement.

What is the obsession with acquiring mediocre forwards when the most glaring holes are on the D side???

With all the moves Benning has made, where are the defensive gains... or defensive prospects?

Yeah, Quinn Hughes is a good prospect, but it will take a lot more than one undersized D, no matter how slick his offensive skills are, to solve the problem the Canucks have with controlling their zone.  Those big bodies which Vegas brings to the table show exactly what the weaknesses of this team is... they don't have the size defensively to handle big teams.

This is an emergency and Benning needs to get his head around that fact... he needs to do what it takes to bring good defensemen to this team.  And that doesn't mean bidding a ton of money on a single star like Karlsson, the need is for 3-4 good journeymen defensemen... not one.  One of those holes should be filled by a big Russian... why Benning has not gotten Tryamkin on a plane and back in Vancouver is a complete mystery to me.

So Jim, wake up to the holes in the lineup defensively, and GET IT DONE.

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

With all the moves Benning has made, where are the defensive gains... or defensive prospects?

There are a few prospects.

Jett Woo, Toni Utunen, Jack Rathbone, Guillaume Brisebois.  And I'm still not ready to write off Olli Juolevi.  It sounded like he was doing fairly well in Utica until he got injured.

I agree he needs to draft more D, but it would be inaccurate to say he hasn't drafted any.

15 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

why Benning has not gotten Tryamkin on a plane and back in Vancouver is a complete mystery to me.

Tryamkin is under contract to a KHL team.  Can't come back until his contract is done.

11 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

He has been letting D go... and acquiring forwards... all his moves with the exception of Schenn have been all about the forward position.

In the meantime, he has allowed two defensemen, (Gudbranson, Del Zotto) to disappear without replacement.

Ummm... Del Zotto was traded for Schenn, so how was he not replaced?  I think JB got pretty good value there.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Weisbrod said they moved Gudbranson because they want to make changes on D in the summer.

That makes a lot of sense.  Looking forward to the offseason.  Seems to be a lot more options this offseason than last, where I remember really wanting De Haan.

7 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Ummm... Del Zotto was traded for Schenn, so how was he not replaced?  I think JB got pretty good value there.

Schenn was a waiver earlier in the season before the 'trade'... no team in the league touched him.

He was included in the trade for Del Zotto as a wooden nickel so Benning could say he got something.

If you consider him a legitimate D and a replacement for Del Zotto, then you are smarter than all the GM's in the league.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Weisbrod said they moved Gudbranson because they want to make changes on D in the summer.

So Benning was giving up on the season when he dealt Gudbranson?

So much for what Travis Green has been talking about all season... "...Team building."

No, the team will be ending their season on a full slide.

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Schenn was a waiver earlier in the season before the 'trade'... no team in the league touched him.

He was included in the trade for Del Zotto as a wooden nickel so Benning could say he got something.

If you consider him a legitimate D and a replacement for Del Zotto, then you are smarter than all the GM's in the league.

Doesn't change the fact he was replaced. And Quinn Hughes will be up by next week so that is both Dmen replaced now. 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

So Benning was giving up on the season when he dealt Gudbranson?

So much for what Travis Green has been talking about all season... "...Team building."

No, the team will be ending their season on a full slide.

Allows the team to get good value for Gudbranson instead of taking lower bids because we “have” to trade him. 

16 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It was more for Anaheim to clear a contract spot and salary - Anaheim has an internal budget.

44 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

D is the problem to many Smerfs Cant have a D so undersized .They all should be 6-2 or better. Mobile, play with grit. Time to reconfigure , Out  Biega, Stecher, Pouliot, Schenn, and Tanev.  No to Tryamkin , Keep Edler and Hutton only.

Arguably the best defense in the entire league,  NSH,  only has one guy 6'2" (Ekholm is 6'4" but is far from a bruiser).  The size over everything else ship has come and gone in the NHL just like the relevance of guys like Burke has come and gone.   Mobility,  skill and hockey-sense outweigh sheer size in today's prototypical defenseman. 

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

They are on record as saying so, try again. 

Where? Or is this more garbage from your Benning-hating ass? You Benning haters have your heads so far up your asses if you seriously believe Benning can't see that this defense isn't good enough. The fact that he brought them back tells me that that was his way of stealth tanking.

This team realistically needs two top-4 defenceman added onto what we already have if we want to compete for a playoff spot. Gardiner would be a prime UFA target for this team and there might be another available by trade. I doubt JB will find us two, especially with kids coming up, but we really need two if we want to be successful. We've got the young forwards, we've got good role forwards and we've finally got good goaltending. Defence is letting us down. When this team has a fully healthy defence they can beat just about any team, but with Edler and Tanev in and out of the lineup they've been abysmal.

Let's be honest, we're not getting Karlsson or Myers here, but Gardiner is probably going to be the odd man out in Toronto. Re-sign Edler, lock up Gardiner long term:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes/Juolevi - Gardiner

Hutton - Tanev

Hughes/Juolevi

Biega

Realistically that's what I'd expect JB to do and for us to see next season. Just one of the rookie defencemen up in the mix playing alongside a veteran. Biega as our 8th defenceman is palatable. In the ideal world though I'd love for us to find a decent young defenceman, maybe even through trade such as:

Goldobin + 2nd for Pesce + 3rd

Gives us a big strong shutdown D-man who can score as well on the R side to play with Juolevi or Hughes in the future. Wouldn't mind a bit of this:

Edler - Stecher

Hughes - Pesce

Gardiner - Tanev

Hutton

Juolevi

Biega

JB wouldn't go for that much depth, but sadly that's what you need in this league to make the playoffs because you can't take a step back or losing streak when injuries undoubtedly hit, and we've got one of the most injury-prone defences in the league. With us drafting possibly in the top-5 again and picking up a forward, we can afford to deal someone like Goldobin or Baertschi.

Future defence:

Hughes - Pesce

Juolevi - Tanev

Gardiner - Stecher

Archived