The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Would not want to be Benning if we win the first overall pick.

I feel like the social ramifications would be a lose-lose for him.

Take Kakko and you forever be the man who didn't unite the Hughes brothers.

Take Hughes and you potentially lose out on the BPA to make a positive PR move.

I agree, but for me the choice is simple: take Hughes even if you don't think it's the better player.

Maybe I'm overthinking but, considering the small difference between the two prospects, picking Jack you guarantees yourself the opportunity to have also Quinn for his entire career.

Just now, ItalianCanuck1 said:

I agree, but for me the choice is simple: take Hughes even if you don't think it's the better player.

Maybe I'm overthinking but, considering the small difference between the two prospects, picking Jack you guarantees yourself the opportunity to have also Quinn for his entire career.

I disagree with this, take the one you think is the BPA. 

1 minute ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

I would agree with you in the 99% of the cases.

In this situation, I really don't know, but I think I would pick Hughes. I'm honest.

I get the logic but I lean towards BPA. We went with team need in Juolevi and skipped on Tkachuk and while I like Juolevi a lot as a player and didn’t dislike the pick at all he's got a lot of ground to make up between the two of them. 

This is part of the reason a part of me hopes they don't win the lottery - but do win the 2nd overall pick.

I'd like this to be solved for management.

It would avoid them having to pass on Hughes - if that would be their intent - with Quinton being here.

If they're 2nd and Kakko goes first - well so be it.

But the simplification of the choice might be nice with the Hughes brothers effect here....I'd certainly be just as happy with Kakko - maybe more so.

3 hours ago, Dombrova22 said:

Just a feeling. I believe he will be hesitant to select Byram because of how Virtanen has panned out so far. Broberg has quietly risen on scouts rankings. Mckenzie now has him ranked #7. 

Not sure Virtanen has ruined all WHL prospects for Benning.  Byram is the only D projected in the 1st round that I'd want. Too many good forwards in the #5-10 range (if that's where they pick), Canucks need scoring as well. A player who could possibly join them next season. I don't think Benning is the type of GM to bring in a big name UFA (Panarin, Skinner) Broberg would seem to offer a different dimension to the Canucks D. He's got size and strength, speed and a booming slap shot. They could use "that shot" from the point. But he's also probably still 4-5 years away from playing in the league. 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd prefer Kakko over Hughes

Agree, kakko is amazing, and alot of the scouts, say hes gonna be better than laine ..so if that becomes true, a must...he would play perfect with EP ......but the 1st thing vancouver needs to do is tank tank tank, and have a chance at 1st or 2nd pick , as kakko will not last past that, hughes and kakko are 1 and 2

Kakko would be amazing.

Ferland - Pettersson - Kakko

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Out of their hands. The Hockey God's will decide. My hope is that the latest Roussel and Tanev injuries is Their way of sinking the Canucks to the bottom, and then the big reward on April 9.

6 hours ago, khay said:

Actually, I'm surprised that there hasn't been a riot in Edmonton yet. You go from top 6 of McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH, Caggiula to McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH... then, Lucic, Kassian, Chiasson? Whenever I check Edmonton's stats and I wonder what happened? I know they made some dumb moves but unless Chia did this on purpose, none of this makes any sense. They traded a superstar forward for a top 4 NHLer and a surefire NHLer like Eberle for a reclamation project, not to mention trading a first round pick in a deep draft for a project defender... The drop off in talent in Edmonton after McDavid, Draisaitl to  RNH is already huge, but then there's nothing after RNH. If the Oilers were patient, they would be contending to be the top team in the Pacific by now along with Calgary. 

Yea, Chiarellis tenure in Edmonton looks like straight up sabotage.

I agree Kakko is a better pick than Hughes... He can skate and shoot like Hughes, but has the size and physicality needed for the NHL.

But the chances of the Canucks getting him are really low... like around 5%.

Realistically we are looking at the #5 - #7 pick.  And with that I think the team should take Broberg... we need a defenseman and he has the size and skills to dominate.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Kakko would be amazing.

Ferland - Pettersson - Kakko

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Out of their hands. The Hockey God's will decide. My hope is that the latest Roussel and Tanev injuries is Their way of sinking the Canucks to the bottom, and then the big reward on April 9.

agree would be awesome, and Kakko would be amazing with EP .......cross fingers and hopefully the nucks read the forums and will tank, the fans will love them even more... 

and with the draft in vancouver, would only be perfect if we get 1st or 2nd pick :P

Personally I would be happy with Philip Broberg.

He has been moving up the European charts. 

He is big, fast, physical, has incredible puck carrying skills and a wicked wrister.  And he is more than capable in his own zone.

He fits exactly what this team needs... a 1/2 D... if he is partnered with Hughes, you have a double threat.

The idea that Boeser should be offered in a trade for Hughes is a bad idea... losing one of the Canucks key pieces just to move up to a small forward who might not pan out...  a risky gamble.  :picard:

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If the scouting team believes Kakko is the better player for this team, he has the size and the skill set we need. Screw marketing take the better player. 

Take Hughes ONLY if they believe he is the better player, not because he's the best sell. 

Even if kakko was slightly ahead they should go with the Center. 

Besides, This reeks of laine vs Matthews all over again. It was close at the time but Matthews seems to be the right choice even though many Laine supporters thought they knew better for sure.

We already have an underweight high skill center who at least may fill out his 6' 1" frame. Take the big winger over the 5'10" lightweight center. It's skill we need over skill we already have. Need over the feel good story every time.

Archived