The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[VIDEO] Kaapo Kakko: All of His Goals, Assists, Greatest Plays of the 2018-19 Liiga season. Over 60 Plays On Full Display. Why the Canucks Must Pick Him Over Hughes (if in that situation).

Blade Paradigm

Just now, stawns said:

Kakko is playing in a pro League, against men.  Hughes plays in what is, essentially, a Jr A league

I wouldn't consider it a junior A league. It's a step above that. Just like the Swedish Elite League is above Liiga. Difference is ice surface though. The size of the rink plays a huge role. Kakko doesn't have the mindset that Pettersson has, where it can translate. Go look at the quality of plays he's making in those highlights VS the quality of plays, say that Kyle Connor was making back in the day. The defense is more compact, tougher to get through and get shots off. With the ice surface, the ability to score goals is a lot easier because it's easier to find open ice. This to me eliminates the "men VS boys" mentality of the pro league VS kids. 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I wouldn't consider it a junior A league. It's a step above that. Just like the Swedish Elite League is above Liiga. Difference is ice surface though. The size of the rink plays a huge role. Kakko doesn't have the mindset that Pettersson has, where it can translate. Go look at the quality of plays he's making in those highlights VS the quality of plays, say that Kyle Connor was making back in the day. The defense is more compact, tougher to get through and get shots off. With the ice surface, the ability to score goals is a lot easier because it's easier to find open ice. This to me eliminates the "men VS boys" mentality of the pro league VS kids. 

He looked pretty damn good on small ice at the WJHC

6 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think it's closer to JR A than major junior.  The BCHL is a pretty darn good league.

4 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

This is a consideration for sure.  Also to consider is the quality of competition at the moment in both leagues.  Is Hughes passing Keller as the all-time leader in points (in less games played) pairtly due to the competition the last few years being worse?  Nope, it’s actually better than ever so that’s a plus when considering his comparable at the same age.  Don’t have a clue with Kakko but you can bet the scouts do.  

In the end these debates are media fueled and I guess entertaining for the fans.  Tyler or Taylor.  McDavid (obviously) or Eichel (they actually made this a thing) how about Daigle or Pronger, big miss there or going way back Lemuiex or the guy nobody remembers, but actually had a decent career including a cup, hint he went to NJ and if you really are interested can find articles that actually say he’s the better pick (again the media likes to create a story)..Laine or Puljajarvi..Patrick or Hirschier, Doughty or Bogasian (these exist too).

Not quite sure where this one lines up with others in the past but I can say that the experts don’t always get it right (Daigle big miss) with whom they think is the best of the crop (Yakupov wasn’t a bad pick either based on what was been said about him, check out his goals his draft year) both with the first overalls and some of the guys predicted to go near the top or near the top of their hockey position (Bouchard or Dobsin, Hughes or the other little guy) are yet to be determined.

All we can do is make an educated guess in the end, and sometimes that doesn’t make a lick of a difference.  Kakko could be the best of his class or fizzle out, same with Hughes.  We’ve seen it before and it will happen again despite way more tools for the scouting staff these days both in labour and in technology available to them to make the best choice come draft time.

Usually they get it right coupled with Q Hughes already on the team I’d go with Jack this draft if we could make the pick.

Id definitely settle with Byram otherwise...

42 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I think we should see how Quin does. He is very similar to his brother. Size and skill wise.

They play in different positions. Plus not all brothers are created equally. Wouldn't be fair to judge Jack based on Quinn, whether plays well or not.

41 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Are we selecting first? Something I don't know?

It's just something fun to talk about and we always have that chance in winning a lottery spot

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

If we pick Hughes can we play him on wing? We can’t have horvat down on the third line position. Is this somethjnf we should think about, given that captaincy most likely will go to Horvat 

He's been projected to potentially be a winger at the NHL level, but I guess we would have to see how he can handle draws and how good of a two way game he plays which IMO are important for a center. Put him and Pettersson on a line together and let them battle out who should be the center. Even if Horvat becomes a "3C", he may take over one of the defensive roles (most likely Sutter's) and be facing heavy matchups and taking plenty of draws while adding his offensive game to the mix so he would be getting tonnes of minutes regardless.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's been projected to potentially be a winger at the NHL level, but I guess we would have to see how he can handle draws and how good of a two way game he plays which IMO are important for a center. Put him and Pettersson on a line together and let them battle out who should be the center. Even if Horvat becomes a "3C", he may take over one of the defensive roles (most likely Sutter's) and be facing heavy matchups and taking plenty of draws while adding his offensive game to the mix so he would be getting tonnes of minutes regardless.

Green would have a lot of options.  Load a line up, make two scoring lines, run deep down center and add wingers along the way...and if one goes down it’s not the end of the world.  You can never have too many skilled centres (TO and TB say hello) when team Canada makes their teams more than half their forward group is made up of them.  They also have more trade value...

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

So name one please.  

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

Last month we brought awareness to the conversation that Jack Hughes’ grip on first overall was starting to change. That talk has not gone away as Kaapo Kakko continues to forge ahead.

While Hughes is the most dynamic player this draft class has to offer, he’s not of the same ilk as a Connor McDavid or an Auston Matthews. Kakko went from WJC hero and transitioned right back to top form by being a top producer for TPS in Finland’s Liiga. The fact he’s playing in a very good professional league and that a successful blueprint has been laid out before him (Aleksander Barkov, Patrik Laine, etc.) has encouraged this conversation.

But would the team picking first have the intestinal fortitude to go down this road despite what conventional wisdom has been telling the fan base all season long? That’s the million dollar question and one we’ll revisit with a mock draft just before the real draft goes in June.

Until then, here are your latest rankings:

1. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-2, 194 pounds: Patrik Laine and Jesperi Kotkaniemi have paved the way with a similar career path. There is some thought Kakko could play centre, and if the team picking first believes that, he may very well bypass Hughes.

2. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: If — and this is a big IF — he is a consolation prize, it will be like winning the lottery.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (VHL), 6-foot-1, 190 pounds: One scout deemed him a “special player.” Some teams will be out on him for fear he won’t come to North America or remain here, but buyer beware, he has star potential.

4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 181 pounds: Elite skating ability with size, while playing a premium position as a right shot — Cozens checks a lot of boxes. The question is if he’s a true centre, or better suited to play the wing?

5. Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP, 6-foot, 166 pounds: He’s played with and without Hughes, and has succeeded at every turn. The skill set is similar to Hughes, but with a bit more size.

6. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver Giants (WHL), 6-foot, 194 pounds: Competes like a demon and has played a huge part in the Giants rise to the top of the Western Conference. And by the way, he’s in the 30-goal neighbourhood, which is rare for a d-man in any league.
7. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL), 5-foot-11, 180 pounds: Works his tail off nightly, makes those around him better, and hasn’t made any noise about a difficult situation with the Ice moving next season.

8. Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-11, 189 pounds: Started the season on the edges of the top five and has worked his way back into that position. An all-around, reliable centre with underrated skill.

9. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 199 pounds: There’s some background noise surrounding this player, but the package of things he can do is one that doesn’t come around often.

10. Thomas Harley, D, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL), 6-foot-3, 188 pounds: It’s better to rein in a wild pony than to try and create one.

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

SHL ice is bigger than Liga

Finland has smaller ice surface, closer to NHL than Sweden 

29 minutes ago, Baggins said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/sportsnets-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

Last month we brought awareness to the conversation that Jack Hughes’ grip on first overall was starting to change. That talk has not gone away as Kaapo Kakko continues to forge ahead.

While Hughes is the most dynamic player this draft class has to offer, he’s not of the same ilk as a Connor McDavid or an Auston Matthews. Kakko went from WJC hero and transitioned right back to top form by being a top producer for TPS in Finland’s Liiga. The fact he’s playing in a very good professional league and that a successful blueprint has been laid out before him (Aleksander Barkov, Patrik Laine, etc.) has encouraged this conversation.

But would the team picking first have the intestinal fortitude to go down this road despite what conventional wisdom has been telling the fan base all season long? That’s the million dollar question and one we’ll revisit with a mock draft just before the real draft goes in June.

Until then, here are your latest rankings:

1. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS (Liiga), 6-foot-2, 194 pounds: Patrik Laine and Jesperi Kotkaniemi have paved the way with a similar career path. There is some thought Kakko could play centre, and if the team picking first believes that, he may very well bypass Hughes.

2. Jack Hughes, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-10, 168 pounds: If — and this is a big IF — he is a consolation prize, it will be like winning the lottery.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (VHL), 6-foot-1, 190 pounds: One scout deemed him a “special player.” Some teams will be out on him for fear he won’t come to North America or remain here, but buyer beware, he has star potential.

4. Dylan Cozens, C, Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL), 6-foot-3, 181 pounds: Elite skating ability with size, while playing a premium position as a right shot — Cozens checks a lot of boxes. The question is if he’s a true centre, or better suited to play the wing?

5. Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP, 6-foot, 166 pounds: He’s played with and without Hughes, and has succeeded at every turn. The skill set is similar to Hughes, but with a bit more size.

6. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver Giants (WHL), 6-foot, 194 pounds: Competes like a demon and has played a huge part in the Giants rise to the top of the Western Conference. And by the way, he’s in the 30-goal neighbourhood, which is rare for a d-man in any league.
7. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay Ice (WHL), 5-foot-11, 180 pounds: Works his tail off nightly, makes those around him better, and hasn’t made any noise about a difficult situation with the Ice moving next season.

8. Alex Turcotte, C, USNTDP, 5-foot-11, 189 pounds: Started the season on the edges of the top five and has worked his way back into that position. An all-around, reliable centre with underrated skill.

9. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon Blades (WHL), 6-foot-3, 199 pounds: There’s some background noise surrounding this player, but the package of things he can do is one that doesn’t come around often.

10. Thomas Harley, D, Mississauga Steelheads (OHL), 6-foot-3, 188 pounds: It’s better to rein in a wild pony than to try and create one.

This is sportsnet your talking about, there are dozens of other rankings out there including ISS March ranking and that still have Hughes on top.  Yes I’ve read their article, as far as I can tell they are the first legitimate source to rank him above Hughes.  Thanks for playing though...

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is sportsnet your talking about, there are dozens of other rankings out there including ISS March ranking and that still have Hughes on top.  Yes I’ve read their article, as far as I can tell they are the first legitimate source to rank him above Hughes.  Thanks for playing though...

Um, your post I quoted said "name one". I did. Thanks for playing though.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Kakko is playing in a pro League, against men.  Hughes plays in what is, essentially, a Jr A league

Kaako is also playying in a league that lost their best team to the khl. Numbers are gonna fluctuate. 

Archived