The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

14 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sometimes watching Tkatchuk I want to cry, but OJ will still be a decent player eventually. He’s too smart not to be a top 4 Dman. He’s got size too. Just worry about all these injuries. 

All these injuries? Like how many total?

Seriously, if he was in his late 30's or older it will be a problem but at that age, recovery is faster and easier.

Anyway OJ will be fine, did he get set back a bit by it? Sure but again, that young, it's a blip. Nothing to freak out over and write him off... oh wait, this is the cdc... 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, babalu said:

Can you have too many PMLHD? I vote Broberg!

Will Broberg be there for us at 10?  He’s friggin’ amazing!  He is clearly the best D man in the draft, after Byram.  I’d trade up to get him.   This guy is a brilliant player, and he’s big.  

He is my clear number three after Hughes, and Byram.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will Broberg be there for us at 10?  He’s friggin’ amazing!  He is clearly the best D man in the draft, after Byram.  I’d trade up to get him.   This guy is a brilliant player, and he’s big.  

He is my clear number three after Hughes, and Byram.  

Impressive

1 minute ago, aqua59 said:

Impressive

The kid looks too good to be passed over 9 times.  I could see him getting to 4 or 5 maybe?

Hughes

Kakko

Podkozin

Byram

Broberg

If the draft goes like this, then trading up to 4 or 5 to get one of those D men might be worth the cost.  I wonder what that cost would be though?  Certainly it starts with our 10 OA + ? + ? 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m high on  Zegras or maybe not. I just noticed his plus minus on team full of players full of super plusses.

Jack H +32

Boldy +33

Turcotte +20

Zegras -50

i got theses stats from

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-button-s-tsn-hockey-mock-draft-post-lottery-edition-1.1287914

so I don’t know how I feel about Zegras now.

?

Zegras was +18.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0054342019.html

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/424453/trevor-zegras

nvmd - see that you noticed that.

Regardless I wouldn't put much stake in +/-, even for Krebs - his entire team was outscored 324-181 this year....

Edited by oldnews

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

@oldnews

curious your thoughts on who would be better for us, if both are there at 10, Zegras or Broberg?

Or Soderstrom or Seider or Boldy or....   I don't know Alf.  Haven't seen enough of all the players in this range to pretend to recommend anyone.

I'm on team whomever Benning et al pick.  I lean towards hoping the bpa is a a defenseman at 10.

If I were rolling uninformed dice,, I'd probably take Soderstrom, although I want to see more of Broberg and Seider.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Or Soderstrom or Seider or Boldy or....   I don't know Alf.  Haven't seen enough of all the players in this range to pretend to recommend anyone.

I'm on team whomever Benning et al pick.  I lean towards hoping the bpa is a a defenseman at 10.

If I were rolling uninformed dice,, I'd probably take Soderstrom, although I want to see more of Broberg and Seider.

I think losing the lottery the last couple years helped us get two key core pieces in Petey and Quinn.  With the players that will be available at 10, we might just get lucky again.  Like you, I think JB and his staff will get us someone really good.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think losing the lottery the last couple years helped us get two key core pieces in Petey and Quinn.  With the players that will be available at 10, we might just get lucky again.  Like you, I think JB and his staff will get us someone really good.  

yeah - I'm not an advocate of burning craploads of assets to move up - when there are marginally/relatively comparable players throughout the range.

I also think some of the ideas being floated - of moving the pick for D-help now - are ironic considering all the outrage over alleged attempts to 'speed up' the rebuild.  Benning has never spent anything near a 10th overall pick (always longer shot 2nd/3rd,4th round pick) and has always acquired pieces he felt would be part of the group moving forward.  Those are understandable/acceptable expenditures imo - spending a 10th overall is another matter.  Unless we are getting a Chabot, Morrisey, Provorov, Werenski or whomever - guys that quality and age or younger  - and I'd say dream on if those are people's targets - I can't see the point.

When you look at most drafts - the 1st overall doesn't necessarily turn out to be the best player in the end (every year there seems to be 'generational player' hype around 1/2) - and there are endless examples of 7 being better than 3, 10 better than 5, etc, etc....

Just take the player they think is best at 10 - don't spend the farm to move up, and don't trade the pick (of course there are extremely slim possibilities that those scenarios make sense for the team, but I give that an extremely low likelihood).

The more people start to look at the actual players likely to be available, imo the less the hype over a few guys perceived to be world's better.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 4

Soderstrom is a good pick on D.  Right shot, good skater, smart, competitive, good shot

Boldy would be a good choice for LW

Benning should take the BPA and the needs of the Canucks are both at D and F.  I'd be happy with either.  It depends on the opportunity and the way this draft is being described, any prospect ranked 6-12 could be available.  

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - I'm not an advocate of burning craploads of assets to move up - when there are marginally/relatively comparable players throughout the range.

I also think some of the ideas being floated - of moving the pick for D-help now - are ironic considering all the outrage over alleged attempts to 'speed up' the rebuild.  Benning has never spent anything near a 10th overall pick (always longer shot 2nd/3rd,4th round pick) and has always acquired pieces he felt would be part of the group moving forward.  Those are understandable/acceptable expenditures imo - spending a 10th overall is another matter.  Unless we are getting a Chabot, Morrisey, Provorov, Werenski or whomever - guys that quality and age or younger  - and I'd say dream on if those are people's targets - I can't see the point.

When you look at most drafts - the 1st overall doesn't necessarily turn out to be the best player in the end (every year there seems to be 'generational player' hype around 1/2) - and there are endless examples of 7 being better than 3, 10 better than 5, etc, etc....

Just take the player they think is best at 10 - don't spend the farm to move up, and don't trade the pick (of course there are extremely slim possibilities that those scenarios make sense for the team, but I give that an extremely low likelihood).

The more people start to look at the actual players likely to be available, imo the less the hype over a few guys perceived to be world's better.

i read that soderstrom had a chabot in him waiting to come out. don’t know if thats true or not. 

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i read that soderstrom had a chabot in him waiting to come out. don’t know if thats true or not. 

there sure seems to be a lot to like about him

Great skater

Great shot

Great vision

High compete level

high level hockey intelligence

tested against men / in SHL at young age

mindful defensively / aggressive / responsible.

and he's also a RHD

is he ideal size?  not sure that's as vital in 'today's NHL' as the ability to compete, skate, etc.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

All these injuries? Like how many total?

Seriously, if he was in his late 30's or older it will be a problem but at that age, recovery is faster and easier.

Anyway OJ will be fine, did he get set back a bit by it? Sure but again, that young, it's a blip. Nothing to freak out over and write him off... oh wait, this is the cdc... 

OJ has had numerous injuries. I’m not going to list them all but he’s still a great prospect. Hopefully next season is injury free for him so he can get in a groove. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

OJ has had numerous injuries. I’m not going to list them all but he’s still a great prospect. Hopefully next season is injury free for him so he can get in a groove. 

Well don't list the injuries, just the source. Not including his 2 recently of course. Where did you look, site i mean.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:03 AM, Alflives said:

The kid looks too good to be passed over 9 times.  I could see him getting to 4 or 5 maybe?

Hughes

Kakko

Podkozin

Byram

Broberg

If the draft goes like this, then trading up to 4 or 5 to get one of those D men might be worth the cost.  I wonder what that cost would be though?  Certainly it starts with our 10 OA + ? + ? 

Haven't seen too many mock drafts that have him top ten so it's possible he's there at 10.