Jost

Rantanen

Ritchie

Nichushkin

Koekkoek

Brodin

McIlrath

Paajarvi

They were all selected at the @10 slot in the draft. So you kind of know what we're going to get this year. One thing I do know is after our selection there's going to comments such as "we can't believe he was still there for us" or " he has everything we are looking for" etc etc You can see from this list what we're likely to get. Some one who's likely two season before he hits the NHL ... if we're lucky

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

... And we happily look to be following in very similar footsteps, about 2'ish years behind their rebuild.

Obviously these are just loose comparables but...

Mackinnnon = Pettersson

Rantanen = Boeser

Landeskog = Horvat

Barrie = Hughes (hopefully)

Soderberg = Pearson

Kerfoot = Virtanen

Johnson = Edler

I'd imagine (assuming another solid summer at the draft, FA's, trades etc) and a another good year of development, we should be looking far more like a legit bubble team next year, as COL was last year.

Then the year following, hopefully we follow a similar trajectory as they did this year.

Mack is not ep by any remote comparison.

kerfoot and virtanen are not similar either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Kerfoot and Virtanen are literally the opposite in every aspect of playing style lol.

Didn't say they were, it's a mish mash of roles/play style/expected production.

Rantanen doesn't really have a similar play style to Boeser either for example, but they're both high end, scoring wingers.

Virtanen, like Kerfoot would be a depth scoring winger.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Mack is not ep by any remote comparison.

kerfoot and virtanen are not similar either.

See above.

They're different teams with different players.

Doesn't mean they can't have similar trajectories with their individual skill sets.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

What do the following players have in common

Bouchard

Tippett

Jost

Rantanen

Ritchie

Nichushkin

Koekkoek

Brodin

McIlrath

Paajarvi

They were all selected at the @10 slot in the draft. So you kind of know what we're going to get this year. One thing I do know is after our selection there's going to comments such as "we can't believe he was still there for us" or " he has everything we are looking for" etc etc You can see from this list what we're likely to get. Some one who's likely two season before he hits the NHL ... if we're lucky

Ok, I'll take Rantanen!   I can wait a year or two.....

At the same time......Barzal, Chabot, Connor - went in the next 10 picks of his draft... (or Boeser at 23, Aho at 35).....I'll take any of them - and again, I can wait.  Or Bouchard if it has to be a 10....

It is a bit odd how certain slots in the draft manage to have odd median/mean picks.....that would seem to be lesser than their position/surrounding value.

Sucks to get burnt in every lottery - but I still think 10 is a pretty good spot to sit in - pretty easy to get excited about the potential guys available there.

• Upvote 1

Did you guys catch the highlights of the Slovakia US a$$ whippin? Im 150% on the Caufield train, hes replaced Turcotte (who I think is still going to be a star) as my choice for the Canucks to pick at 10. 7 goals in 2 games. Nevermind the stats, its the way he scores is incredible, that release is absolutely handed down by the hockey gods, especially the 2nd goal. Doesn't even look at the net, split millisecond the puck touches the blade of his stick, the red light is on. Absolutely special, doesn't take much but Caufield just strikes like a rapier

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, appleboy said:

Colorado is building quite a team. Mostly through the draft. Then they were able to trade from their depth and secure another top 4 pick. Makar added late this year  and who ever they get out of this years draft just makes them deeper going forward. ( two firsts this year) It takes time to time to build like this but the result is a young team that can be expected to compete for years to come. Their best players are in their early twenties.  

The key is that they are drafting well. They seem to have a solid scouting crew. To me , this is how you build an organization. 

They've had some crappy draft picks too, Connor Bleakley, and Duncan Siemens. Joe Sakic was really on the hot seat until he pulled the Duchesne heist, which single handedly saved his job. Its really unfair that their D-core might have Dadanov, Barrie, Makar, Girard, and POSSIBLY Byram in the same sheet of ice. Good luck trying to forecheck those guys

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 4/19/2019 at 5:06 AM, spook007 said:

I've got a genuine question to all, who is wanting to draft Caufield at 10...

Did any of you want Ehlers in the draft we took Virtanen? and would you rate Caufield at the same level as Ehlers?

My question is more a reflection of the constant talk about Ehlers being a non- factor during the play-offs...

(I wanted Ehlers at that draft in 2015....)

I honestly don't know how to choose at no. 10....

In the beginning it sounded almost as if we barely had a choice and now there is probably still going to 3-5 players worth serious considering at our position.

Boldy would probably still be my choice, as I would like a bit of size in our top 6 going forward.

But a scoring Machine like Caufield,

A Zegras super skilled clone of the rat,

Defenders playing well against men in Sweden

or a big mean German playing against men at the age of 16...

And that's without the possibility of some of the other players dropping....(Dach, Krebs, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, etc....)

I think going with the 'safe' pick in Boldy is the way forward... A miss with our 10 OA will set us back in the rebuilding plans... I trust Benning to find us a player at our spot...

Yeah, I wanted Ehlers but don't want Caufield, and the difference is definitely the skating.  Ehlers was and is on a whole other level.  There's no way Caufield has anything close to the same acceleration, top gear and lateral movement.  I do agree that Caufield has a great release and is a great all-round finisher, but doubt he will be as effective when bigger, faster defenders are closing on him and he's not on a dominant team with better linemates.  Ehlers made most of his chances himself:  that's not at all the case with Caufield. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

... And we happily look to be following in very similar footsteps, about 2'ish years behind their rebuild.

Obviously these are just loose comparables but...

Mackinnnon = Pettersson

Rantanen = Boeser

Landeskog = Horvat

Barrie = Hughes (hopefully)

Soderberg = Pearson

Kerfoot = Virtanen

Johnson = Edler

I'd imagine (assuming another solid summer at the draft, FA's, trades etc) and a another good year of development, we should be looking far more like a legit bubble team next year, as COL was last year.

Then the year following, hopefully we follow a similar trajectory as they did this year.

Let's not forget that Colordo was looking good when they first got Duchenne.  Then they stepped back a bit. Their Organization was still not deep enough and they missed on a few picks. We could very well be in for the same . We are not very deep and have a ton of holes. No one wants to here it but I think we are going to see a few tough years yet. The problem also comes from whether owners will wait. Will they try to UFA our way out of it?

I would rather see a careful balance of both with making draft picks untouchable and spend money selling the youth to fans. Promote a stay the coarse plan.

Benning and Linden both said that there is no quick fix. It us so true. You must be deep at the A and the NHL to succeed.

45 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, I wanted Ehlers but don't want Caufield, and the difference is definitely the skating.  Ehlers was and is on a whole other level.  There's no way Caufield has anything close to the same acceleration, top gear and lateral movement.  I do agree that Caufield has a great release and is a great all-round finisher, but doubt he will be as effective when bigger, faster defenders are closing on him and he's not on a dominant team with better linemates.  Ehlers made most of his chances himself:  that's not at all the case with Caufield. 

Dont count out caufield yet. Top end he may not be as fast as ehlers but his edgework is way better then ehlers at that age, plus the kid has a way better hockey iq.

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

Dont count out caufield yet. Top end he may not be as fast as ehlers but his edgework is way better then ehlers at that age, plus the kid has a way better hockey iq.

Fair enough, especially about the iq issues w/Ehlers.  Reading the play well can often get you a lot further than a spectacular as an end-to-end rush.  We'll see if Caufield can make the space he needs to play his game against men.  Maybe so, but I do think that's the question to ask about whether his game will translate. 

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Fair enough, especially about the iq issues w/Ehlers.  Reading the play well can often get you a lot further than a spectacular as an end-to-end rush.  We'll see if Caufield can make the space he needs to play his game against men.  Maybe so, but I do think that's the question to ask about whether his game will translate. 

Always gonna be the isdue when you are that small. The one thing though that i look for in small players that have succeeded in the nhl is their willingness to go the dirty areas and pay the price to make things happen. Caufield has got that willingness it seems that could make him into a fleury type player.

44 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Let's not forget that Colordo was looking good when they first got Duchenne.  Then they stepped back a bit. Their Organization was still not deep enough and they missed on a few picks. We could very well be in for the same . We are not very deep and have a ton of holes. No one wants to here it but I think we are going to see a few tough years yet. The problem also comes from whether owners will wait. Will they try to UFA our way out of it?

I would rather see a careful balance of both with making draft picks untouchable and spend money selling the youth to fans. Promote a stay the coarse plan.

Benning and Linden both said that there is no quick fix. It us so true. You must be deep at the A and the NHL to succeed.

WPG did the same the year they won the lotto and got Laine. Yup, it's perfectly likely we have a 'set back' year, somewhere in the next 4-5 years.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

You can see from this list what we're likely to get. Some one who's likely two season before he hits the NHL ... if we're lucky

Yet another reason to consider Soderstrom as he's already played a full season of pro-hockey and didn't look out of place whatsoever.   Because of this,  several scouting reports describe his development as being ahead of most in this draft class. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

My biggest concern is the smaller players getting hammered constantly. 

I wanted Ehlers but must admit he does get shut down during the play offs. 

I just worry about us turning into the Vancouver Pee Wees...

We need some quality players w size.... at both end of the rink. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1