The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At Number 10 Who do we take?

Rate this topic

aqua59

Boldy looking pretty darn good at U18s.

Read somebody at HFboards refer to him as "Billy Guerin 2.0"... liking the sounds of that.

Draft Boldy to play with Horvat, sign Panarin to play with Petey.

I really like Heinola for our D corps, but I think a skilled winger with size would be a great snag at #10.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Caufield's biggest issue is not his size; it's his skating.  I think a guy his size (even though he can obviously score at his current level of play) with skating concerns will drop a lot in the draft.  He could fall out of the top 20, and maybe even in to the second round.  It's hard to take such a big risk with a top 10 pick.  

Skating

Caufield is a very good skater. While he has very good top end speed, his best attributes are his acceleration and agility. Caufield can dart in and out of open space quickly. He changes speeds and fools defenders as a result. He uses his edges very well and moves laterally with ease. This helps him to beat defenders in one-on-one situations, both with and without the puck. As mentioned Caufield lacks size. However, he has a very strong lower body and powerful stride. This gives him excellent balance and he is tough to knock off the puck or beat in battles in front of the net.

Elite Hockey prospects.

Edited by appleboy
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He has a hat trick today against Sweden. 

I’ve been dead set against small players in the past, but Caufield definitely looks intriguing. He has that goal scoring ability that he doesn’t even have to look where he’s shooting, and can find twine. I keep hearing he’s a Debrincat clone. 35-40 goal winger on Horvats wing would be nice. High iq as well. Issues with size though like I said and he’s not a blazing speedster which might drop him down the draft chart. 

8 hours ago, nergish said:

Boldy looking pretty darn good at U18s.

Read somebody at HFboards refer to him as "Billy Guerin 2.0"... liking the sounds of that.

Draft Boldy to play with Horvat, sign Panarin to play with Petey.

I really like Heinola for our D corps, but I think a skilled winger with size would be a great snag at #10.

I haven’t seen enough of Boldy, but Guerin was a really good hockey player. 

Man these prospects are giving me a head ache....

There is so much potential

Who knows who will be available, and who will be left 

when we pick...….

These U-18's will give us a better picture

Oh! I want more picks

But I do not think we should move up

Better to get a second pick if possible (dream!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

I’ve been dead set against small players in the past, but Caufield definitely looks intriguing. He has that goal scoring ability that he doesn’t even have to look where he’s shooting, and can find twine. I keep hearing he’s a Debrincat clone. 35-40 goal winger on Horvats wing would be nice. High iq as well. Issues with size though like I said and he’s not a blazing speedster which might drop him down the draft chart. 

I agree. His goal a game pace for USNDP isn't a one off like what Dane Fox did at Erie, Caufield has been practically a goal game his entire hockey career. The kid is goal scorer, and I believe he's better than Debrincat. He's a good skater as well, I don't buy the fact he needs to be blazing fast. You don't need to be a speed demon to slide into open spots on the ice because once the puck hits his stick, his hands are in the air celebrating. Caufield may have some red flags, but the box he checks is probably the most important one. Would you say no to an extra 30-35 goals a season?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gaudreau looks like a boy out there, totally ineffective. And then there's McKinnon. Wow. I think size would be good, but the player has to have speed and smarts as well. I'm liking the idea of Seider as a Dman, Soderstrom would be good too.

Any one of these guys with the 1st:

Turcotte

Podkolzin

Newhook

Soderstrom

Seider

Tkachuk and Monahan aren’t doing much either. But look how effective Sebastian Aho and marner are in the playoffs? 

Yes if mackinnon or rantanen are available someone with both size and speed you take them but to they aren’t really available. Like everything, you need the right mix.

And to the people that still think that Virtanen still has room to grow. ....haha please he is clueless. If you can give up on dahlen at 21, then you can and should definitely give up on JV at 22 or 23. We have seen more than enough to know what to expect from him.

Edited by Tomatoes11

I've got a genuine question to all, who is wanting to draft Caufield at 10...

Did any of you want Ehlers in the draft we took Virtanen? and would you rate Caufield at the same level as Ehlers?

My question is more a reflection of the constant talk about Ehlers being a non- factor during the play-offs...

(I wanted Ehlers at that draft in 2015....)

I honestly don't know how to choose at no. 10....

In the beginning it sounded almost as if we barely had a choice and now there is probably still going to 3-5 players worth serious considering at our position.

Boldy would probably still be my choice, as I would like a bit of size in our top 6 going forward.

But a scoring Machine like Caufield,

A Zegras super skilled clone of the rat,

Defenders playing well against men in Sweden

or a big mean German playing against men at the age of 16...

And that's without the possibility of some of the other players dropping....(Dach, Krebs, Podkolzin, Turcotte, Byram, etc....)

I think going with the 'safe' pick in Boldy is the way forward... A miss with our 10 OA will set us back in the rebuilding plans... I trust Benning to find us a player at our spot...

I just hope Benning stays consistent with what appears to be his current vision (not his initial plan of Bruins grit) and values skating and vision above other attributes.  Size and grit would be nice but really means little if player can't move with the rest of the team.

I look at how easily JB has been able to acquire forwards  (of varying skill levels admittedly) either through waivers/ufa/and or trades versus how virtually impossible it is to acquire a decent quality young defenceman and the choice at the draft mic seems automatic imo.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I agree. His goal a game pace for USNDP isn't a one off like what Dane Fox did at Erie, Caufield has been practically a goal game his entire hockey career. The kid is goal scorer, and I believe he's better than Debrincat. He's a good skater as well, I don't buy the fact he needs to be blazing fast. You don't need to be a speed demon to slide into open spots on the ice because once the puck hits his stick, his hands are in the air celebrating. Caufield may have some red flags, but the box he checks is probably the most important one. Would you say no to an extra 30-35 goals a season?

Caufield is quick enough. It is his change of pace that sets him apart. He quickly changes direction and speed. He can turn on a dime. Very elusive , hard to hit.

Newhook should not be overlooked either.     

There could be a real gem at number ten and it is up to our drafting crew to find it. They seem to be getting better each year. They were very high on Makar and may very well have taken him if he was available.

I am looking forward to see who they get this year.

• Cheers 2

Colorado is building quite a team. Mostly through the draft. Then they were able to trade from their depth and secure another top 4 pick. Makar added late this year  and who ever they get out of this years draft just makes them deeper going forward. ( two firsts this year) It takes time to time to build like this but the result is a young team that can be expected to compete for years to come. Their best players are in their early twenties.  

The key is that they are drafting well. They seem to have a solid scouting crew. To me , this is how you build an organization. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

We definitely should not draft any guys with low hockey IQ.  What I like about Broberg is his desire to dominate the game.  He's like Quinn Hughes that way.  I think Seider has that competitive nature to dominate too.  To me, that's the "it" factor.  

Isn't Seider playing in a weak league?  Harder to tell if he's going to be good?

• Upvote 1

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Isn't Seider playing in a weak league?  Harder to tell if he's going to be good?

Very true.  He plays in a much weaker league.  I’ve got my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that we get Broberg at 10, and JB trades to get us something around 17 to 20 (early exit team from this playoffs needing experienced defensively responsible players like Sutter and Tanev) and we get Seider.  That’s two potentially elite game dominating D men in this draft.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, appleboy said:

Colorado is building quite a team. Mostly through the draft. Then they were able to trade from their depth and secure another top 4 pick. Makar added late this year  and who ever they get out of this years draft just makes them deeper going forward. ( two firsts this year) It takes time to time to build like this but the result is a young team that can be expected to compete for years to come. Their best players are in their early twenties.  

The key is that they are drafting well. They seem to have a solid scouting crew. To me , this is how you build an organization. 

... And we happily look to be following in very similar footsteps, about 2'ish years behind their rebuild.

Obviously these are just loose comparables but...

Mackinnnon = Pettersson

Rantanen = Boeser

Landeskog = Horvat

Barrie = Hughes (hopefully)

Soderberg = Pearson

Kerfoot = Virtanen

Johnson = Edler

I'd imagine (assuming another solid summer at the draft, FA's, trades etc) and a another good year of development, we should be looking far more like a legit bubble team next year, as COL was last year.

Then the year following, hopefully we follow a similar trajectory as they did this year.

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

... And we happily look to be following in very similar footsteps, about 2'ish years behind their rebuild.

Obviously these are just loose comparables but...

Mackinnnon = Pettersson

Rantanen = Boeser

Landeskog = Horvat

Barrie = Hughes (hopefully)

Soderberg = Pearson

Kerfoot = Virtanen

Johnson = Edler

I'd imagine (assuming another solid summer at the draft, FA's, trades etc) and a another good year of development, we should be looking far more like a legit bubble team next year, as COL was last year.

Then the year following, hopefully we follow a similar trajectory as they did this year.

Kerfoot and Virtanen are literally the opposite in every aspect of playing style lol.