The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joe Biden Debates Donald Trump September 29

DonLever

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

It looks like Lord Maple of Burlington might not be as popular as he thought he was.

All the young BS fans are surprised that the boomers got out and voted.

Don't forget to use the cream and call your dermatologist if you feel the bern!

They actually had me convinced that there was a huge young voter turnout coming. I should have been more skeptical, most of the people I know wouldn't be able to name more than 2 current Canadian politicians. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

They actually had me convinced that there was a huge young voter turnout coming. I should have been more skeptical, most of the people I know wouldn't be able to name more than 2 current Canadian politicians. 

Sanders got some wind in his sail in 2016 because Putin did not want Clinton to win.

Younger voters are also very vocal and active on the social media.

I said this in 2016 and now, Sanders does not appeal to wider demographics in the U.S.

Also this is not scientific fact but in the last 25 years I have worked with and hired thousands of 18-23.

Overwhelming majority did not show any interest in the politics.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Sanders got some wind in his sail in 2016 because Putin did not want Clinton to win.

I said this in 2016 and now, Sanders does not appeal to wider demographics in the U.S.

Also this is not scientific fact but in the last 25 years I have worked with and hired thousands of 18-23.

Progressivism/liberalism exists in a big way on university campuses ... otherwise the working kids don't care that much. 

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I am in my late 20s and its not much different, the few people I do meet around my age who are into politics often seem to be really ideological and that too about a single issue. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Progressivism/liberalism exists in a big way on university campuses ... otherwise the working kids don't care that much. 

Not that I am dismissing your claim but I can't say my own experience supports this. The polls around my university used to be fairly dead, only a handful of people would show up and this was despite the university putting a lot of information out there regarding voting just about everywhere. 

I suppose what I am saying is that it doesn't translate into votes, not that the ideology that you mention hasn't found a foothold on campuses.

Edited by Toews
clarifying response

10 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

When I was young, I was so involved and preoccupied with caring for other people.

I can’t tell you how much money, goods etc. we sent to our relatives in a war torn country.

Now that I am older, my main concern is providing and worrying for my wife and kids.

Not the same person I was back in early 90s for sure.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It's pretty clear now that it is a 2 man race and 2020 Bernie is under performing 2016 Bernie that a lot of the 2016 Bernie vote was just anti Clinton vote.

Now on to the general election. Baffled that so many see Trump as unbeatable. Trump won 2016 in part because he won with white suburban women. They just did not want Clinton so they went with Trump. They have dropped their support of him en masse. Largely because they are horrified by his behavior. You saw this in the 2018 congressional elections. Where the House flipped by a wide margin and waves of women came out to vote and elected waves of Democratic women.

Nothing has changed since then. Now you have Covid-19. This will be considered as Trump's hurricane Katrina moment. Is he up to the test of a major emergency. I'll leave that up to each of you to decide. Angela Merkel says she expects 60-70% of the German population to contract the virus. 70% of the US population is 200 million people. Do you feel good with Trump in charge of a situation like that?

As long as Biden doesn't go off the rails and start wandering around in traffic with no pants on and his underwear on his head, he's the next Pres.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

It's pretty clear now that it is a 2 man race and 2020 Bernie is under performing 2016 Bernie that a lot of the 2016 Bernie vote was just anti Clinton vote.

Now on to the general election. Baffled that so many see Trump as unbeatable. Trump won 2016 in part because he won with white suburban women. They just did not want Clinton so they went with Trump. They have dropped their support of him en masse. Largely because they are horrified by his behavior. You saw this in the 2018 congressional elections. Where the House flipped by a wide margin and waves of women came out to vote and elected waves of Democratic women.

Nothing has changed since then. Now you have Covid-19. This will be considered as Trump's hurricane Katrina moment. Is he up to the test of a major emergency. I'll leave that up to each of you to decide. Angela Merkel says she expects 60-70% of the German population to contract the virus. 70% of the US population is 200 million people. Do you feel good with Trump in charge of a situation like that?

As long as Biden doesn't go off the rails and start wandering around in traffic with no pants on and his underwear on his head, he's the next Pres.

I don't understand it either, the TRUMP is a favorite to win narrative.  3 key states to his victory was Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania and the combined margin of victory was hardly what you would call a landslide victory.   

Also, his approval rating at this point of his presidency only really beats papa Bush, who lost reelection.   Hardly an inspiring narrative for someone who hasn't really did much to expand his vapid loud loyal base of voters.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

When I was young, I was so involved and preoccupied with caring for other people.

I can’t tell you how much money, goods etc. we sent to our relatives in a war torn country.

Now that I am older, my main concern is providing and worrying for my wife and kids.

Not the same person I was back in early 90s for sure.

Responsibilities of life replace ideals at some point. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Totally agree. Even more baffled when I hear that Trump will chew Biden, or anyone, up in a one on one debate. This is the guy who said “I’m not a puppet. Your the puppet!” only bested by the strategy to physically stalk his female candidate on stage after doing a press conference with her husbands accusers.

The credit he gets for what a 6 year old would usually get spanked for, just stumbles the mind.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I don't understand it either, the TRUMP is a favorite to win narrative.  3 key states to his victory was Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania and the combined margin of victory was hardly what you would call a landslide victory.   

Also, his approval rating at this point of his presidency only really beats papa Bush, who lost reelection.   Hardly an inspiring narrative for someone who hasn't really did much to expand his vapid loud loyal base of voters.

He made 3 big promises:

Build a wall and have Mexico pay for it - Fail

Repeal and replace Obamacare - Fail

Massive infrastructure projects - Fail

Tax cuts for the wealthy - Check (now to be fair the working class got cuts too, but theirs expire after 5 years. While the rich keep theirs forever)

Trillion dollar deficits as far as can be projected - Check

Dog crap growth rates - Check

They use to love to tell everyone Obama was the first President to never have a single year of 3% GDP. They stopped repeating that now that there are 2 Presidents never to achieve that feat.

He doesn't have Hillary to kick around this time. Same as Bernie didn't, and he's done too.

• Cheers 2

Trump’s loyalist base is consistent, but it remains a minority in the bigger picture. In nearly four years, he hasn’t grown his base much at all and there is some evidence that he has lost some women supporters. Even among his loyal supporters, there is support for his policies even if more are critical of how he conducts himself. If he runs against Biden I doubt if he will debate him, simply because he won’t prepare, he won’t listen to advice, and he can’t bully Biden like he did with Hillary. As long as Biden stays on message, all Trump will have is to attack Hunter Biden, call him Sleepy Joe and make a record number of false claims every day. This time the Democrats won’t sleep on the key swing states and will pour money and time into those states particularly hard hit by trade wars, dried up agricultural markets and promises not kept by Trump. On top of that, Trump’s incoherence is worsening by the week. Much of the time he rambles on and off topic, makes outlandish claims and keeps claiming everything he does is perfect. His act is wearing thin, even with some of his supporters. Still, it will be a close race, but know this: if he loses, heaven help the USA between the election and January 20, 2021. It will be one huge Trump grift for three months. Just watch.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Mike Bloomberg is going to have his revenge on Trump. "Mini Mike" is going to spend over $1 billion dollars blanketing every swing state with ads about the administrations lackadaisical response to Covid-19. How they had a 5 week head start to prepare for it's arrival as it ran through China, and squandered that precious time. How Trump is an incompetent leader and responsible for the deaths of Americans. It's going to be a constant drum beat.

14 hours ago, Down by the River said:

My concern isn't with how this will impact people that have already decided to vote democrat. This is the mistake that the left (which I guess I would be considered a part of) continues to make. They have no problem $&!#ting on moronic Trump voters. Yes, they're morons. Yes, 95% of them won't change their vote. But it is the small percentage of past Trump voters that could win you the election. Stop belittling them. If the Dems want to present itself as the moral party (at least more moral than the Republican party), they can't be hypocrites along the campaign trail. That is what will inhibit their ability to steal votes from Trump. 

I disagree that this is what happened. Biden didn't call out Trump voters, he called out one guy and rightly so. If you watch the video and read the many articles associated with it, the guy was waiting for JB. It wasn't a spontaneous "questioning of his position", but a pre-planned ambush.

It's worth noting that the original articles stated that the worker in question was berated by his co workers after the incident. It's also worth noting that auto workers likely remember the government that provided the 80 billion dollar bailout to the once failing auto industry. They're not all going to vote for Trump just because Biden told one grandstanding dickwad to STFU....

Andrew Yang is now supporting Joe Biden:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/10/andrew-yang-endorses-joe-biden-125317

Andrew Yang endorsed Joe Biden for president on Tuesday, joining the flock of recent opponents now backing the former vice president for the nomination.

The 45-year-old former entrepreneur made his announcement live on CNN during the network's coverage of the Tuesday night primaries.

“The math says Joe is our prohibitive nominee,” Yang said. "We need to bring the party together. We need to start working on defeating Donald Trump in the fall.”

"The math" has spoken.....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

In the 2016 campaign there were many women who charged Trump with raping them. Yet you are saying white women supported him because they disliked HRC SO MUCH? That was 4 years ago and Trump hasn’t done himself any favours. How Trump deals with the virus is important but he didn’t create it. The economic impact likely hurts him more. 

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

In the 2016 campaign there were many women who charged Trump with raping them. Yet you are saying white women supported him because they disliked HRC SO MUCH? That was 4 years ago and Trump hasn’t done himself any favours. How Trump deals with the virus is important but he didn’t create it. The economic impact likely hurts him more. 

No one has ever charged or accused him of raping them. His former wife Ivanna accused him of that but has since walked it back.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No one has ever charged or accused him of raping them. His former wife Ivanna accused him of that but has since walked it back.

Not hearing much about those in 2016 anymore but isn’t there a case in the court right now?