The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Draft day for Florida 1st Rounder #13 Overall

As I looked at team needs throughout the league, where they are in their lifecycle, depth and our team's assets and needs I realized Florida, who we have a good trading relationship with, could be a good partner for getting another first rounder.

Florida is at that stage where they NEED to start winning and making the playoffs. Looking at the stands every game, FLA needs to start competing in the post season if they want to stay there much longer. The attendance is atrocious and they must be bleeding money (reason why Bobrovski and Panarin are linked to them is obvious).

Looking at their depth:

Barkov, Huberdeau,Trochek, and Hoffman make a nice young (23-25) offensive core upfront, but all have very little playoff experience as they enter their prime years. Looking behind that, there's nothing much in their bottom six that's helping them win. The bottom six may not be sexy for teams and fans but they are key pieces to give the dancers the time and energy to dance. Sheahan and Henrik Borgstrom are their 3/4c for instance.

On defense, after Ekblad, Matheson, and Yandle they have very little. Their 2Rd is Mackenzie Weegar. Ya who? a 7th round pick who put up 14 pts and was a -9. He is followed by Josh Brown and Ian Mcoshen....again..who?

So if the assumption of Florida needing to get into the postseason is fair, which I believe it is, losing is starting to weigh on their young core, and clearly the fans care less and you need them back, then I believe their first round pick may not be as important to them as it is to other teams. Its #13, you've got 4 young players in their prime up front, and you need help NOW, not in 2-3 years when a #13 may just be entering the league and playing in your bottom 6 or bottom pairing at best.

Trade

Tanev - solves their RD issue, strengthens their D materially given their holes. Perfect #2RD behind Ekblad = more wins

+Sutter - solves their 3c problem, takes heavy minutes away from Barkov and Trochek and allows them to focus on scoring = more wins

If required throw in a sweetner prospect or retain some salary

For #13

We get another pick in a good range where we can grab another strong player to help our rebuild.

I believe where these two teams are in their life cycle, their respective needs, makes them perfect trading partners. We can back fill Tanev with a UFA if required.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

Two overpriced injury prone players will not get you a 13th overall pick. 

I am probably on the side that it is close, more than not

and it is exactly what Florida needs

maybe a prospect along the lines of Lockwood 

or 

a 2020 2nd would push it over (note that they are 2 different values)

or

Tanev and Sutter both at 50%, with a 2020 2nd gets it there

But for sure they both help defensively

Especially if Bob is going there to tend Goal

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am probably on the side that it is close, more than not

and it is exactly what Florida needs

maybe a prospect along the lines of Lockwood 

or 

a 2020 2nd would push it over (note that they are 2 different values)

or

Tanev and Sutter both at 50% gets it there

But for sure they both help defensively

They might if they somehow manage stay healthy for more than half a season. 

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, yes, but if Tanev stays healthy, he is closer to the 13th all by himself

But yes, it is a factor

You also have to take into consideration Florida will be in on Panarin so if they want to sign him, taking on around $9 million in salary doesn’t make sense.

• Upvote 1

This is probably a pretty fair trade

Tanev + Sutter(50% retained) + 2020 conditional 3rd (2nd, if combined they don't play 110 games)

for

13th overall

Probably a pretty fair deal that takes them into playoff contention.

With that said Im perfectly fine keeping both these guys and slotting Tanev beside Hughes and Sutter on a wing as defensive centre depth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Exactly, that's why the combination gets it done

I see your point, but there has to be a huge parachute for Florida, just in case both Sutter and Tanev go down as Pears is suggesting.....

Maybe Tanev and Suter and a Conditional 1st (Tanev has to average 70 games per or they get a the conditional 2021 1st - top 10 protected)

It is still a huge over payment, but if you want the 13 OA...you will have to pay something big, to have that right...……….

1 minute ago, Pears said:

You also have to take into consideration Florida will be in on Panarin so if they want to sign him, taking on around $9 million in salary doesn’t make sense.

Retain salary, and Luongo may be on LTIR - they have close to 22 mil in cap space- so actually it can be made to work quite easily. Sutter has 2 years left, Tanev 1 so there are no long term issues either.

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think if there was some salary retention for Sutter and Vancouver were to offer a second rounder in 2020 IF Tanev and Sutter both failed to play 60 games each, then I could see the Cats very much think about this deal.   They are loaded with prospects at the present time and their core needs some NHL-ready stabilizing and these two would help a lot.    

Yeah I don’t see this working unless there’s salary retention involved.

• Upvote 2

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

I see your point, but there has to be a huge parachute for Florida, just in case both Sutter and Tanev go down as Pears is suggesting.....

Maybe Tanev and Suter and a Conditional 1st (Tanev has to average 70 games per or they get a the conditional 2021 1st - top 10 protected)

It is still a huge over payment, but if you want the 13 OA...you will have to pay something big, to have that right...……….

I think a conditional second with salary retention is more than enough to make them think

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

What about Beagle and Tanev? :) Not that I'd want to move Beagle over Sutter as I think Beagle is more valuable, but he also has more value. It might be the deal to get it done if they push back, which I agee they would because of injury history.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Seeing as Tanev has never had a 70 game season, it's very unlikely at this stage in his career.

I think retaining 50% of Sutter's contract + Tanev gets it done.  Florida has been floundering around in the permanent rebuild mode for way to long.  It's time to get back into the playoffs.  They would still have the $ to go after a very good UFA if needed.

Florida also likes not having to protect either player at the ED, or being able to re-sign (without NTC at the end of their current contracts.

Good proposal, Jan.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Retain salary, and Luongo may be on LTIR - they have close to 22 mil in cap space- so actually it can be made to work quite easily. Sutter has 2 years left, Tanev 1 so there are no long term issues either.

They have $22M in cap space but that is with only 15 players under contract.If they sign Panarin and Bobrovsky, as rumored, that will eat up $16 - $18M of that cap space and leave them with $4M - $6M to sign another 6 players. Obviously, we don't know if if Panarin and Bob will sign with them and neither will Florida until after the draft so I think they would pass on Tanev and Sutter until they see what happens in Free Agency.

If they did agree to the deal to take Sutter and Tanev that would likely mean they would only be in on one of Panarin or Bob but not both......not sure that would be appealing to them.