The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hobbies Thread

Boeserker

37 years old. Have wanted to learn how to play piano my entire life. I’m pretty good at picking up musical instruments. Played violin and guitar growing up, and I still sing.

But piano was always something I wanted to learn. Been thinking the last couple months about taking beginners lessons this fall.

31 minutes ago, Monty said:

37 years old. Have wanted to learn how to play piano my entire life. I’m pretty good at picking up musical instruments. Played violin and guitar growing up, and I still sing.

But piano was always something I wanted to learn. Been thinking the last couple months about taking beginners lessons this fall.

I play guitar as well. Piano has always been black magic to me! How in the hell does one guy use 10 fingers to manipulate 88 strings in all the acoustically magical variations???

Wizardry. A lifelong pursuit that only gets better and more complicated the more you put yourself into it. I have a keyboard setup for my kids, hopefully one of them takes to it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

I am planing to shape a few surfboards this summer for next season.

That acrylic pour @Boeserker would look sick on a surfboard using resin.

My bro did one out of cedar strip and it turned out amaze balls.  Did kind of a weekend warrior dad egg shape.  Which works well on the west coat mushburgers.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I found a curled up arbutus tree branch that was about 3’ wide at its widest.

i milled it to 2” slabs in December and it’s been curing in my basement.  I won’t get any pieces big enough for a kitchen table able once I trim off the bad stuff, but I bet I’ll get a couple end tables and cutting boards which I will give away as gifts.

i experimented with countertop strength concrete as well and made my own fireplace hearth which turned out amazing.  I dyed it a charcoal colour.

my next experiment will be using some sort of acid stain on concrete and I plan to make my own concrete top fire table.

i also found a really colour paint product called “unicorn spit”. Amazing stuff.

83F72604-99BD-4506-83C9-B06781FAC04E.jpeg

Not my table but just an example of what can be done.

Dude I am renovating my house right now and want to do a concrete hearth - maybe charcoal colour as well. You have any photos?

Also want to do a concrete outdoor fire table

Edited by AV's Coin

39 with 2 kids (5 and 7).  We did acrylic pours on a canvas and we have them hung in the boys bathroom.  They really tie the room together :ph34r:.

I've also made a large amount of beaded flowers in the past (kept my hands buys while watching baseball.  I started making them in all the NHL team colours, and I swear I'll finish that one day.

My main hobby though is probably geocaching (will hit 2000 finds this summer).  The boys really like it, it gets us out, and you really do see areas of the community that you otherwise may not.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I found a curled up arbutus tree branch that was about 3’ wide at its widest.

i milled it to 2” slabs in December and it’s been curing in my basement.  I won’t get any pieces big enough for a kitchen table able once I trim off the bad stuff, but I bet I’ll get a couple end tables and cutting boards which I will give away as gifts.

i experimented with countertop strength concrete as well and made my own fireplace hearth which turned out amazing.  I dyed it a charcoal colour.

my next experiment will be using some sort of acid stain on concrete and I plan to make my own concrete top fire table.

i also found a really colour paint product called “unicorn spit”. Amazing stuff.

83F72604-99BD-4506-83C9-B06781FAC04E.jpeg

Not my table but just an example of what can be done.

Very nice. Did you mill them in your backyard or take it to a lumber mill? The guys I have talked to say they let the slabs cure for at least 2 years outside. 

You might be able to turn your slabs into a table using the epoxy.

Some of those concrete c-tops are super nice. Heavy as hell though! Would def make a great fire table.

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

I am planning to shape a few surfboards this summer for next season.

That acrylic pour @Boeserker would look sick on a surfboard using resin.

How much does a surfboard blank cost? Are they 100% fibreglass or is it a wood core/stabilizer at all?

18 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Does _________ (rhymes with HornPub) count?  :ph34r:

Like @Monty I also would love to learn to play piano  :) 

It counts if it's your own video, this is a creativity thread.

And pics or it didn't happen   :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

The Hobbit Thread?

Denise-Salway.jpg.1ccaaae29c53e8c3ce1560a7106c04ef.jpg

Edited by bishopshodan
I must confess, I don't actually make these cute dudes. I just wanted to post a pic of a 'hobbit made of thread' in 'the hobbies thread'. Seemed poetic. Hey, I might be like Deb!
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Monty said:

1 hour ago, Boeserker said:

I play guitar as well. Piano has always been black magic to me! How in the hell does one guy use 10 fingers to manipulate 88 strings in all the acoustically magical variations???

Wizardry. A lifelong pursuit that only gets better and more complicated the more you put yourself into it. I have a keyboard setup for my kids, hopefully one of them takes to it.

I'm a long time guitar player who recently got into keyboards. (It's not exactly the same as piano, but it's in the neighborhood)

I was in a band environment as the rhythm guitarist, but our lead guitarist owned a synth and suggested I play it on a few songs. At first, it was literally a matter of remembering where to put my fingers to make certain sounds, but after a while, I started to figure it out. Now I know most chords, (and how to figure them out, if I don''t know them)

I actually find a keyboard more intuitive than guitar, because it's laid out in a linear fashion. If you know what "C" looks like on a keyboard, it's easy to find any other note.

Now I'm playing keys on about half our songs and even doing the odd solo bit, but just like on guitar, I hate doing scales....

Still waiting for that magic moment when I can do two completely different things with each hand though. (Getting closer every day :) )

• Upvote 4