The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can't dress 777 up, can't take 777 out.  :picard:

Carrie Lam (aka. 777), representing HK at the Japanese enthronement ceremony for Naruhito.

20191022-19_VLI0r_1200x0.png

Who is she (777) and why is her presence at a Japanese ceremony important?  Is she a Chinese government official, and she's representing Hong Kong?

29 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

She's the supposed "Chief Executive" of Hong Kong, but she was not elected by the populace.  She is representing HK in her capacity as "Chief Executive".  She is also a massive bootlicker of the Chinese President - a $&!#-disturbing career civil servant who has no clue how to lead a region other than by looking up to China like the lapdog that she is.

If Hong Kong is now considered (by the local people) to be an occupied territory, then there will be those - as in all previous occupations of territories - who side with the occupiers.  It's a sad truth about people.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

True enough, I guess.  My biggest beef with her initially was her lack of leadership.  It hurts my sense of understanding/observing leadership to see her waffling through her term of office with no sense of (or perhaps caring to) understand how to lead.

Nowadays, I have a full laundry list of issues with her, some of which aren't directly related to her leadership style.

Would you consider her to be (pretty much) a puppet, and Beijing the puppeteer?  

FT report that China is drawing up plan to replace Carrie Lam as Hong Kong chief

Tue 22 Oct 2019 20:19:59 GMT

Financial Times with the report

• Chinese government is drawing up a plan to replace Carrie Lam
  • with an "interim" chief executive
  • Xi Jinping, China's president, will make the decision
  • if he agrees, Lam would be replaced by March 2020, cover the remainder of her term, which ends in 2022.

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/ft-report-that-china-is-drawing-up-plan-to-replace-carrie-lam-as-hong-kong-chief-20191022

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

FT report that China is drawing up plan to replace Carrie Lam as Hong Kong chief

Tue 22 Oct 2019 20:19:59 GMT

Financial Times with the report

• Chinese government is drawing up a plan to replace Carrie Lam
  • with an "interim" chief executive
  • Xi Jinping, China's president, will make the decision
  • if he agrees, Lam would be replaced by March 2020, cover the remainder of her term, which ends in 2022.

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/ft-report-that-china-is-drawing-up-plan-to-replace-carrie-lam-as-hong-kong-chief-20191022

22 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I can't help but wonder how much free reign any newly-appointed "comrade" will have to run the place, knowing how 777 botched things up so badly for him.  Perhaps Article 23 of the Basic Law will suddenly rise again to prominence...?  Or will they try to play the long game again and let it bubble under the surface until people are sufficiently placated from the current situation?

Once again those in power are late in their response.

Had they just sacked her from the start, while it doesn't really change anything, it would have perhaps be sufficient for many people.

As for the next person, probably just another bootlicker to take over.  

It's so disappointing that for a country/people that prides itself for being very good at math.... those CCP supporters can't seem to count to the number "2", as in "2 Systems".

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dajusta said:

In that situation, don't you want a HK police to stop it?

You mean cracking down on peaceful protesters?  Pepper spraying innocent passerby?  Tossing exploding tear gas canister at the media?

Sure, there are a bunch of more militant protesters, but there are tons of videos of the police just randomly harassing and assaulting people.  

The CCP and their HK lapdogs has really messed up the situation and instead of actually doing what's right, they're doubling down.  

All they have to do is do what would be done in any functioning open system and agree to the 5 demands.... and also follow the Sino-UK treaty that they signed.  The whole 2 system part... it's not a hard concept for rational people to understand.  

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hong Kong government announces suspension of all schools for tomorrow

Wed 13 Nov 2019 06:17:40 GMT

The civil unrest in Hong Kong is getting worse by the day

The protests continue to grow in the city and offices/banks' operations are already being affected today. As the situation is starting to get further out of hand, we're now seeing schools closed for safety reasons.

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/hong-kong-announces-suspension-of-all-schools-for-tomorrow-20191113

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to think that lots of blood will need to be spilt before change can be made.

Both the CCP and HK are literally in a life/death struggle.  

If HK falls, that's pretty much it.  Every year that goes by, the grip of the Chinese Communist Party increases.  Huge amount of migration from the mainland will skew public opinion even more within the next decade or so.

If HK gets what it wants... it will only be a matter of time that many neighbouring cities in Guangdong and in the large cities will demand and expect the same level of rights as HK... and we all know how glasnot and perestroika worked in the USSR.

Should China clamp down violently, the response from the international community will be immediately felt.  Investments pulling out, economic sanctions, etc... suddenly millions of workers (many who are former PLA soldiers) suddenly without work.  They will look for someone to blame and it wouldn't be hard for them to pick Winnie the Pooh.  

That would also mean reunification with Taiwan will never be done, ever... at least not without force, but the US 7th fleet normally hangs out there.... so it's unlikely.

With Emperor Pooh having lots of egg on his face (how many rich supporters would be pissed that they're losing millions/billions due to him, plus he promising that he will definitely bring Taiwan into the fold)... he may lose lots of his political clout.  Potential political crisis may brew.  

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

To be honest, I'm not sure I like the fact that students/protesters are now using bows and arrows, but given the great disparity between the type of weapons and arsenal that the police have at their disposal, and what the protesters have been using to date (molotovs, rocks, slings), I guess it was a natural progression of the mode of weaponry used.  Primative, but perhaps effective in the context.  However, this will give the police justification to fire live ammunition at will.  Then again, they never really followed their guidelines, or perhaps more accurately, their ever-changing goalposts in the guidelines they are following has long since allowed them to use deadly force to deal with non-deadly situations, so nothing really changed other than the perception, for which the blue-ribboned lot (ignorant as they are) will gladly trumpet as justification.

I am totally siding with hong kongers 110% behind them, but for them to start using deadly force is not good. one guy said that one of theirs was shot by a bullet.... well yes... he reached for the officers gun, what else was that officer suppose to do?  but this is getting ugly, and I tell you, I love hong kong makes me sad this is happening to them.

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I am totally siding with hong kongers 110% behind them, but for them to start using deadly force is not good. one guy said that one of theirs was shot by a bullet.... well yes... he reached for the officers gun, what else was that officer suppose to do?  but this is getting ugly, and I tell you, I love hong kong makes me sad this is happening to them.

Unfortunately there's little recourse left.  When the government is outlawing regular protest, violence is usually the next step.  

Most of the city is already on-side with the protesters... the lawyers, the civil service, many businesses and corporations, students, fire department, medical personnel, etc.... the only key exception are the police.  

Maybe it's too late for redemption, but if many officers just switch side en mass.... that would really change things up.  

• Cheers 1

Hong Kong was screwed from the get-go.  There was no reality where China would not accelerate matters and make HK like any other part of the country, agreement be damned.  It is not like China has any history of treating their people well, especially those who run counter to the party line.

Incredibly sad, but the world needs to get its act together, and vote with their wallets, stop giving them tech for free, and cut back on buying their knockoff crap.  It's not easy, but every little thing you can do helps.  I've found a few sites that help point you in better directions, whether you just don't want to buy their stuff for political reasons, or are looking to avoid harmful ingredients/components.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The second stanza to that song though is usually military action, because when a country gets shut out of a market, the next thing they do is to force their way into the market by means of demonstrating their might. That's the playbook the Yankees took with the Japanese, the Brits with the Chinese (as the prequel to our current story) and any modern day incursion into the Middle East.

Given China's expansionist dreams (some of which have been achieved) and their overall military strength, as I mentioned either in this thread or one of the others (can't remember now) the end result is likely to be war on a global scale, and the question then becomes - does the west have the stomach for that kind of action, given the relatively fresh memories of the two world wars...

Given China's expansionist dreams, it is likely inevitable anyway.  If the rest of the world decides to sit back and do their collective best Neville Chamberlain impressions, it just makes China harder to deal with later, as we should all remember from what happened 80+ yrs ago.

If they can't play nice, they don't deserve to play at all, and it is pretty easy to play nice.  While Japan was desperate for oil and resources, apparently China is desperate for money and tech.  Participating in fair trade as a member of the global community can bring in at least one of those things in good quantity.  Of course, emulating Hong Kong instead of assimilating them would go a long way, too, but they're too blind to see that option.

• Upvote 1

Hong Kong protests: Police officer wounded with arrow at campus stand-off

Police have besieged a university campus in Hong Kong occupied by protesters who have been fighting back with arrows and petrol bombs.

Officers have warned that they could use live ammunition if protesters do not stop attacking them using such weapons.

A media liaison officer was earlier wounded in the leg with an arrow near the Polytechnic University (PolyU).

Months of anti-government protests have caused turmoil in the city.

The latest violence is however some of the worst the semi-autonomous Chinese territory has seen since the movement began. The police have become targets for radical demonstrators, who accuse them of excessive force.

Police have so far been responding to violence around the PolyU campus mostly with tear gas and water cannon.

Those occupying the university have been told to leave immediately. Dozens have reportedly been arrested but many hundreds remain inside. There are fears of bloodshed should police move in to quell what they have now declared a riot.

image.png.21fb249383f8cdc1c37ee94c0f9a1eff.png

"I hereby warn rioters not to use petrol bombs, arrows, cars or any deadly weapons to attack police officers," police spokesman Louis Lau said in a statement broadcast via Facebook.

"If they continue such dangerous actions, we would have no choice but to use the minimum force necessary, including live rounds, to fire back."

Earlier on Sunday police fired a live round in response to what they said was a car hurtling towards officers near the university.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50452277

Hong Kong police threaten to use live bullets as standoff with protesters escalates

HONG KONG (Reuters) - Hong Kong police threatened on Monday to fire live bullets if “rioters” did not stop using lethal weapons in the latest flare up during anti-government protests that have convulsed the Chinese-ruled city for five months.

The police statement followed fresh clashes outside a university in the center of Hong Kong where protesters were hunkered down behind makeshift shields and hurled petrol bombs at police in a standoff blocking a vital tunnel link.

Police had said on Sunday one officer had been treated in hospital after being hit in the leg by an arrow and another had his visor struck by a metal ball, although he was not hurt.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hong-kong-protests/hong-kong-police-threaten-to-use-live-bullets-as-standoff-with-protesters-escalates-idUSKBN1XR0O2