The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

14 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

This whole rona situation reeks of sketchy BS coming from China. Every last bit of it.

I don't trust that country one bit and nor should any other sane person

The sketchy part was the gov’ts cover up. That is being known more, day by day. 

Just remember that it doesn’t have anything to do with the actual citizens of China or anyone here that is of Chinese descent. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The sketchy part was the gov’ts cover up. That is being known more, day by day. 

Just remember that it doesn’t have anything to do with the actual citizens of China or anyone here that is of Chinese descent. 

Agreed, I was referring strictly to the government. I mean, I barely trust any government, but theirs is certainly quite something.

Just now, NickTheGreek said:

Agreed, I was referring strictly to the government. I mean, I barely trust any government, but theirs is certainly quite something.

I took you to mean the Chinese govt. Just to be clear. I know you didn’t mean anything more. 

The reason I always give the caveat is so that posters don’t think it’s carte blanche  on the Chinese people or Canadians who are of Chinese descent. 

I always want to make sure that my posts about the Chinese govt are never used to denigrate, stigmatize or castigate, our many good fellow Canadians who are of Chinese descent.

Respecting people of different backgrounds has to always be our default position even when we criticize the govt’s of where they may have immigrated from or their ethnic country of familial origin. 

It’s the Canadian and equally the civilized thing to do. 

10 minutes ago, NickTheGreek said:

I completely take you at face value. 

And, I would certainly describe the govt of China as more than “quite something”. I’m more vitriolic about them but I appreciate your Canadian default politeness in describing them as such. It’s what makes us ‘us’. 

Keep on being a dignified Canadian. There’s a shortage of that(Canadianism) in this world right now, in how we speak to one another, regarding this pandemic, here and abroad.  

See folks, this is why we can have nice things. It’s when we talk about things in a measured way, with thought, logic and understanding. 

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I completely take you at face value. 

And, I would certainly describe the govt of China as more than “quite something”. I’m more vitriolic about them but I appreciate your Canadian default politeness in describing them as such. It’s what makes us ‘us’. 

Keep on being a dignified Canadian. There’s a shortage of that(Canadianism) in this world right now, in how we speak to one another, regarding this pandemic, here and abroad.  

See folks, this is why we can have nice things. It’s when we talk about things in a measured way, with thought, logic and understanding. 

People are people where ever you go. I have been to China a couple of times and had interesting conversations with people there. One particular young fellow was asking us for foreign currency as that gave him access to foreign goods that he could not buy with Chinese currency. His parents were professionals who had suffered during Mao's Red Guard, back to the earth movement. This young guy was a real go getter and had no political illusions from what I could see. 

I also went to Moscow for the WHA hockey series in 1974. I ended up in a bar with 3 Mongols who were in Moscow taking a meat cutting course. Only one spoke broken English but they were very interested in the West and what we saw as important. As Don would say we had a few to many wobbly pops as we closed the bar down. They were great guys. 

My take from these two experiences was that media control by politicians is a very dangerous thing but most people recognize BS when the hear it enough times. They measure their experiences with what they hear and decide what is believable or not. I actually find many Canadians very naive as they accept what they hear as truth.    

Reports that China has expanded the scope of its Hong Kong security law

Wed 27 May 2020 03:02:19 GMT

Reuters conveying reports that China has enhanced the scope of its draft national security legislation

• to cover organisations as well as individuals
RTHK and the South China Morning Post reported "Mainland lawyers who have handled national security cases in the past say this change could bring not just individuals, but also organizations under the scope of the law," RTHK said.

Background to this is the draft legislation 
  • could pave the way for mainland security agencies to open up branches in Hong Kong It targets secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference - terms that are increasingly used by authorities to describe last year's pro-democracy protests.
Even more likely to trigger US sanctions. 
--
ps. While I refer to it as 'draft' legislation, it goes before the China parliament this week where its expected to be almost automatically accepted into law.

Reuters conveying reports that China has enhanced the scope of its draft national security legislation

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Reports that China has expanded the scope of its Hong Kong security law

Wed 27 May 2020 03:02:19 GMT

• to cover organisations as well as individuals
RTHK and the South China Morning Post reported "Mainland lawyers who have handled national security cases in the past say this change could bring not just individuals, but also organizations under the scope of the law," RTHK said.

Background to this is the draft legislation 
  • could pave the way for mainland security agencies to open up branches in Hong Kong It targets secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference - terms that are increasingly used by authorities to describe last year's pro-democracy protests.
Even more likely to trigger US sanctions. 
--
ps. While I refer to it as 'draft' legislation, it goes before the China parliament this week where its expected to be almost automatically accepted into law.

image.gif.2408e9c355a2637b1e6518548cd44cc7.gif

If there was any doubt. Let's see some global cooperation for once maybe... 

U.S. Says Hong Kong’s Autonomy Is Gone, Sowing China Trade Doubt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-27/pompeo-finds-hong-kong-is-no-longer-autonomous-from-china 

The Trump administration said it could no longer certify Hong Kong’s political autonomy from China, a move that could trigger sanctions and have far-reaching consequences on the former British colony’s special trading status with the U.S.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/hong-kong-pompeo-certification/index.html 

Pompeo certifies Hong Kong is no longer autonomous from China, jeopardizing billions of dollars in trade

Last year, Congress passed and President Donald Trump signed into law the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act in support of the region's pro-democracy protesters. Under that law, the US must annually verify to Congress that Hong Kong remains autonomous from China, or it risks losing its special status.
Pompeo said the decision on Hong Kong's autonomy "gives (him) no pleasure," noting that "Hong Kong and its dynamic, enterprising, and free people have flourished for decades as a bastion of liberty."
"But sound policy making requires a recognition of reality," he said. "While the United States once hoped that free and prosperous Hong Kong would provide a model for authoritarian China, it is now clear that China is modeling Hong Kong after itself."
Pompeo said in past weeks that he had delayed the required report to Congress because they were "closely watching what's going on there."

This is HK today, a 23-year-old female university student was sentenced for three-month imprisonment for possessing a 90cm long hose.

On the same day, a 22-year-old female relative of a police officer, who was involved in the trafficking of 3 kilograms of dangerous drug Ketamine, got her case dismissed by the Department of Justice and released in court. 

China legislature votes to endorse national security law for Hong Kong

Thu 28 May 2020 07:11:23 GMT

As you would expect

Today is the final NPC plenary session and this has been the biggest topic over the past week and as you would expect, the Chinese legislature has voted to pass the national security law for Hong Kong. Now that it is official, let's see what the US response will be later this week.

Official US response will be a joke. But that hardly makes me Nostradamus.

Hong Kong is no more.

Heard China instituted a law of no more dual citizenship for HK.

After HK, China will take over Taiwan.

USA the only military might to counter China is not going to stop them with all the turmoil that is going in the states.  Russia won't do anything as well cuz they don't care.

Edited by BPA

11 hours ago, BPA said:

Hong Kong is no more.

USA the only military might to counter China is not going to stop them with all the turmoil that is going in the states.  Russia won't do anything as well cuz they don't care.

Easier said than done. 

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Easier said than done. 

Yep.  The US and Taiwan has an agreement where the US will defend Taiwan.  If they choose not to honour that, that will probably also mean the end of NATO, ANZUS, US-South Korea, US-Japan Alliance, etc, since no country would trust them anymore.  

Whatever stance you have for/against #45, on US first policy, or whatever.... ending these alliances will automatically means the decrease in defense spending and lots of jobs lost in weapons manufacturing.... so it's never going to happen.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Yep.  The US and Taiwan has an agreement where the US will defend Taiwan.  If they choose not to honour that, that will probably also mean the end of NATO, ANZUS, US-South Korea, US-Japan Alliance, etc, since no country would trust them anymore.  

Whatever stance you have for/against #45, on US first policy, or whatever.... ending these alliances will automatically means the decrease in defense spending and lots of jobs lost in weapons manufacturing.... so it's never going to happen.  

I would think that Taiwan has a nuclear deterrent by now. Might not admit publicly but then neither does Israel. 

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would think that Taiwan has a nuclear deterrent by now. Might not admit publicly but then neither does Israel. 

Would be better if they actually did.

They used to have a nuclear program, but had to stop since the PRC stated that Taiwan getting nukes would mean they will automatically attack.  The US also told Taiwan to stop.  

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Would be better if they actually did.

They used to have a nuclear program, but had to stop since the PRC stated that Taiwan getting nukes would mean they will automatically attack.  The US also told Taiwan to stop.  

With the Norks hard at work on their nuke program I cannot see Taiwan not doing the same. Pakistan was selling stuff and so were the Ukrainians. They don't have to go public they just have to let the CCP know. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 12:26 AM, BPA said:

Hong Kong is no more.

they will not take Taiwan.  

5 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

they will not take Taiwan.  

Who's gonna stop them? The USA? The EU?

Who stopped Vlad when he annexed Crimea? Who stopped China in this action in Hong Kong? Who held Saudi Arabia accountable when they chopped up Khashoggi?

When the Cats away, the Rats will play.

21 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Who's gonna stop them? The USA? The EU?

Who stopped Vlad when he annexed Crimea? Who stopped China in this action in Hong Kong? Who held Saudi Arabia accountable when they chopped up Khashoggi?

When the Cats away, the Rats will play.

They won't take Taiwan because Taiwan probably have nuclear weapons. If the Norks have weapons then Taiwan probably does.