The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks inquired about Sabres defenceman

2 hours ago, Darius said:

Why so many assuming that its Risto?

watch it be Brandon Montour 

That would be amazing and a great move. RD, puck moving dman who’s solid in his own end and puts up points. Will be cheaper than Risto for sure, and less of a defensive mess.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

27 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Oh I wonder who Buffalo has had playing on the penalty kill on the right side besides Bogosian? Doesn't sound like Ristolainen has been doing much of that. The other right handed guy they have is Brandon Montour. Also another offensive guy. What does that tell you? It tells me that BOGO has been playing as hard of minutes as Tanev with no one capable of having his back and as soon as he has gotten injured, the team has floundered again and again. How much do you wanna bet if we have both BOGO and Tanev on the same team that next season, we have a top 5 to top 10 PK and that neither of these guys are getting injured so badly?

Face it. They are getting injured. Tanev brings it on himself by laying in front of shots and absorbing every check rather than avoiding or rolling away from the kit. Don’t know much about Bogosions injury history but it’s ugly and he’s missed 125 games the last 4 seasons alone. You have these two in your top four it’s only a matter of time before bottom pairing D are playing 20+  a night in their absence because of the lack of depth and the Canucks start losing games. 

Edited by Pickly

4 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

That would be amazing and a great move. RD, puck moving dman who’s solid in his own end and puts up points. Will be cheaper than Risto for sure, and less of a defensive mess.

Goldy for Montour.  Montour is kind of small, and I don't think he's really great along walls or in net front is he?  

21 minutes ago, khay said:

He brings offence, Guddy didn't. Maybe JB is building a team that wins games 6-5.

If we re-sign Edler,

Edler-Ristolainen

Hughes-Tanev Stralman

Hutton-Stecher

Not too bad. 

*Tanev traded

FTFY

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Goldy for Montour.  Montour is kind of small, and I don't think he's really great along walls or in net front is he?  

Buffalo traded a 21 year D prospect and 1st round pick for Montour. Pretty sure they value him more than a Goldy.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Buffalo traded a 21 year D prospect and 1st round pick for Montour. Pretty sure they value him more than a Goldy.

And we traded McCann and a second for Guddy.  Teams make mistakes, and then move on from them.  I hope we aren't trading for Montour.  I don't think he's what we need.  He's far too small.  He's not nearly so gifted as Hughes

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Maybe it’s Montour?

They recently acquired Montour (for a pretty high price), possibly opening up Risto to be available. I doubt they're ready to move on from him already. He got 10 points in 20 games so if he can keep that up, it would above his career best in production so far offensively.

It's not impossible, but maybe (hopefully) they are blinded by that +/- that they move on from Risto prematurely.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And we traded McCann and a second for Guddy.  Teams make mistakes, and then move on from them.  I hope we aren't trading for Montour.  I don't think he's what we need.  He's far too small.  He's not nearly so gifted as Hughes

He had 10 points in his 20 games there. I doubt they've seen enough to want to move on from him just yet. If he's too small, then what are Hughes and Stecher?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

They recently acquired Montour (for a pretty high price), possibly opening up Risto to be available. I doubt they're ready to move on from him already. He got 10 points in 20 games so if he can keep that up, it would above his career best in production so far offensively.

It's not impossible, but maybe (hopefully) they are blinded by that +/- that they move on from Risto prematurely.

Montour was a minus 20 last year, and got a whopping 30 something points.  How in the heck does that make us better?  

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

You replace him with a competent UFA.

Adding a legit top 4 D, to an improving Demko and a solid vet UFA with Ian Clarke goalie whispering them sure doesn't sound like 'nullifying' to me...

But Markstrom wasnt just competent he was amazing. Team would've been much worse if he was merely 'competent'. 

Adding 1 top 4D (thats better in a 2nd pair role) wont improve the defense so much that it doesnt matter whos in net. Whereas having a great goalie can mask poor defense. So I still think it nullifies.

Besides, i doubt they are targetting Markstrom with only 1 year left for one of their prime expendable assets.

A player's worth is determined by how much demand there is for him.  According to LeBrun, now that Trouba's been moved, plenty of teams are inquiring about Ristolainen including Tampa Bay.

https://theathletic.com/1034335/2019/06/18/lebrun-notebook-after-some-time-to-reflect-lightning-gm-julien-brisebois-sees-no-reason-to-alter-course/

One player that I believe BriseBois has shown interest in not only before the February trade deadline but also again this offseason is Rasmus Ristolainen in Buffalo. With three more years on a deal that carries a $5.4-million cap hit, Ristolainen’s contract is more than reasonable for what he brings. And he just turned 24.  Which is also why the Sabres aren’t going to deal him unless the package is absolutely right.

Tampa is far from the only team that’s expressed interest. In fact, now that Jacob Trouba has been traded, I’m told interest has picked up again over the past 24 hours. Ristolainen is probably the top target now for teams eyeing to trade for a top-pairing D.

If I’m the Sabres, I don’t get into a serious discussion with Tampa unless Mikhail Sergachev is on the table.

The Canucks aren't going to be able to afford Ristolainen without making it hurt.

Edited by SabreFan1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

But Markstrom wasnt just competent he was amazing. Team would've been much worse if he was merely 'competent'. 

Adding 1 top 4D (thats better in a 2nd pair role) wont improve the defense so much that it doesnt matter whos in net. Whereas having a great goalie can mask poor defense. So I still think it nullifies.

Besides, i doubt they are targetting Markstrom with only 1 year left for one of their prime expendable assets.

Hey, I was one of the few people here defending Marky before he went on his run. But we can't keep both and his contract is up next summer. And I have a lot of faith that Clarke can get Demko and 'UFA' playing at a pretty high level personally.

No goalie was arguably their biggest weak point last year. It's kind of an important piece.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1