The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

At the time of the pick, I was a little surprised at first. I was expecting Benning and Co to go with Boldy/Krebs. As I did my homework on the pick, read what scouts had to say and watching YouTube highlights. All I can say is WOW....

7 other GM’s are going to be regretting not taking this guy. I get the Russian X factor, however the one constant in guys who don’t make it is that drive. Think Valeri Nichuskin, Nail Yakupov, heck throw goldobin in that mix.

This kid oozes compete, drive and dedication to his game. He was the captain of that junior team for a reason.  This smells just like when Tarsenko slipped to the middle of round 1. Dare I say it Bennings done it AGAIN. Steal of the draft - book it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He's a tank. 

Reminds me of Tod Bertuzzi, hard to contain because he’s just so powerful. And such soft hands and some good speed.  He’s got some intimidation to his game too.  Looks like he survived The Russian Hunger Games for 17 year olds. He looks like he could take your lunch money, I like that lol. 

A4474769-E440-4D47-9306-C462E97C098E.jpeg

I think the thing I’m most excited for will be hearing all the various ways people are going to butcher his name. If “Pettersson” was giving people issues than “Podkolzin” is going to give them nightmares. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I think the thing I’m most excited for will be hearing all the various ways people are going to butcher his name. If “Pettersson” was giving people issues than “Podkolzin” is going to give them nightmares. 

Smyl is still having nightmares about it

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Idk Podkolzin seems pretty simple to pronounce but if people start calling him VPodz I am going to lose it.  

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't see any reason why Miller would be on the third line. The dude is a legit top 6 forward.

Also, I have high hopes for Hoglander. The dude was playing in the SHL as a teenager before he was even drafted and wasn't completely overwhelmed (keep in mind that the SHL is not only a men's league, but probably the 3rd best league in the world). I think it's entirely possible, assuming he can put up some numbers in the SHL next season, that he can be competing for a spot on the roster as early as next season. 

I wouldn't write Jasek out, either. I think he'll be competing for a roster spot pretty soon as well. 

Not sold on Virtanen as a top six or that Gadjovich is an NHL player. 

Overall, I think our forward group is looking pretty damned good going forward. Upgrades are always possible, but it seems to me that we have gamebreakers in every position now.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podkolzin

Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Leivo Madden Lind/Jasek

Something like that., anyways.

The biggest thing now is finding a legit top pairing right D. It's the one massive hole is our prospect/young player  pool that needs filling, and we won't be a legit contender until we find that guy.

Completely forgot about Hoglander

I like your lineup much better. Given who we have in the pipeline, I don't expect Pearson to be in our long term plans unless he really plays well these next two years.

Also, just read Anders Lee is likely to hit free agency. 8 year 58-60 million contract. (cant remember if we would be able to offer him 8 or only 7).

Lee Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Looks like a contender roster to me

6 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Completely forgot about Hoglander

I like your lineup much better. Given who we have in the pipeline, I don't expect Pearson to be in our long term plans unless he really plays well these next two years.

Also, just read Anders Lee is likely to hit free agency. 8 year 58-60 million contract. (cant remember if we would be able to offer him 8 or only 7).

Lee Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Pearson

Baertschi Gaudette Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Looks like a contender roster to me

We need D more than Lee, don't you think?