The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

41 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not even that, with the Rangers retaining.  Buying him out would be $1mil for the next two years, but we could just as easily send him to Utica.  He was a PPG guy there, would be a big boost, and won't make a difference cap-wise.

That's my vote. One year, $2m hit just frees up more money for next year vs two year $1m hit.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

That's a given, we have way too many forwards. He can light up the AHL and help our prospects get rolling.

Long shot at 13th F but otherwise, yup.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That's a given, we have way too many forwards. He can light up the AHL and help our prospects get rolling.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's my vote. One year, $2m hit just frees up more money for next year vs two year $1m hit.

Long shot at 13th F but otherwise, yup.

I think Benning should go after Martin Frk as a depth forward for Utica. He could play with Spooner. Imagine Frk and Spooner on a line together. Huh? Huh?

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Benning should go after Martin Frk as a depth forward for Utica. He could play with Spooner. Imagine Frk and Spooner on a line together. Huh? Huh?

There's vet limits on NHL rosters and we may already be sending down Spooner, Schaller and Eriksson (along with Boucher). No more vets.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

There's vet limits on NHL rosters and we may already be sending down Spooner, Schaller and Eriksson (along with Boucher). No more vets.

Spooner needs to be bought out, we'll need the 2.6 mil saved this year. 

27 minutes ago, ynwa said:

The trade has been made and we can only hope that it turns out to be a good one, obviously that's something that time will tell. However I do think that trading one's only first round pick is not a good move, no matter how low down the order you may be—who knows you may end up picking 23rd and just get lucky :rolleyes:

You say this as if it’s impossible to acquire draft picks in the future. This pick is potentially two years away. Lots can happen in two years. Even if we don’t reacquire a first at this point one lost first round pick shouldn’t sink the entire franchise. Lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on what other moves are made.

respectfully disagree - I dont see a scenario where Spooner contributes more than freeing up 2.6 mil in cap space. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

By not eating up another $1m again NEXT year.

but we can afford that more next year, if Jim really goes for it and wants to sign say Myers and Nyquist and do a long term deal with Boeser we'll need that 2.6. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

but we can afford that more next year, if Jim really goes for it and wants to sign say Myers and Nyquist and do a long term deal with Boeser we'll need that 2.6. 

Not sure we do, particularly if we move Eriksson. But as I said, the option is there if we need it. Otherwise, I'd prefer to rip that bandaid off in one season vs two personally.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Not sure we do, particularly if we move Eriksson. But as I said, the option is there if we need it. Otherwise, I'd prefer to rip that bandaid off in one season vs two personally.

I don't think Loui is going anywhere but Uitca, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think Loui is going anywhere but Uitca, unfortunately. 

And he ain't showing up there.  I'm very much expecting Loui will be gone by opening night, and his cap will be gone too.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why do we need to save 2.6 million this year? 17 million in cap space isn't enough?

Never mind the difference of buying him out is only actually $1.6m vs waiving him. And with waivers, who know, maybe someone even picks him up/trades for him once cleared.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why do we need to save 2.6 million this year? 17 million in cap space isn't enough?

I think we'll need it 

Boeser 7

Myers 6-7

Nyquist 5-6

Benn 1.5

We can save 2 mil more by burying Schaller and Loui in Utica incase Lu retires. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill