The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

3 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Hopefully they're piquing the interest of some other NHL teams who need scoring help. We'll know the Canucks are on the right trajectory when they can start trading some of their veteran depth players for draft picks, which is something we've almost never been in a position to do (not that I want to see the Comets weakened though).

We need scoring help :0

• Upvote 1

If Goldobin and Baer continue to tear it up down in Utica the way they have, and I don't see why the shouldn't, it'll be hard to justify keeping them there. As others have mentioned I can only imagine what this Comets lineup would be capable of if they had Gaudette too. 

The Canucks will inevitably run into injuries so this probably won't last, but I hope the Comets can keep this run going and carry it through the season. They longer this goes on the more cushion they've got once guys jump up to the bigs. 

I have a very hard time seeing the team resisting the lure of Baertschi's dominance if he keeps it up. Goldy has done this before and not succeeded much in the NHL, so I could see him being left down in Utica, but Baer has had success in the NHL, so we know he can translate his skill.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I have a very hard time seeing the team resisting the lure of Baertschi's dominance if he keeps it up. Goldy has done this before and not succeeded much in the NHL, so I could see him being left down in Utica, but Baer has had success in the NHL, so we know he can translate his skill.

Agreed, Baertschi keeps showing well and that injuries haven't affected his style of play, he will be back, with Bo hopefully.

• Cheers 2

Hard to watch Baertschi score 8 pts in 4 Utica games, Boucher 2PPG and Goldobin close as well. They're absolutely killing it right now, Utics are top of the AHL.

Seems clear to me. Baertschi on our 3rd or 2nd line would bring plenty. Leivo or Virtanen need to make way for him. They're bringing no offence.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hard to watch Baertschi score 8 pts in 4 Utica games, Boucher 2PPG and Goldobin close as well. They're absolutely killing it right now, Utics are top of the AHL.

Seems clear to me. Baertschi on our 3rd or 2nd line would bring plenty. Leivo or Virtanen need to make way for him. They're bringing no offence.

I agree about Baer; he is clearly NHL quality and is far to good to be playing in the AHL. But saying that Leivo and Jake are bringing no offence isn't really fair. Both have recorded a few points and Jake brings a physicality that Sven doesn't, and as for Leivo, the last time the Canucks won, do you remember who scored the goal that got them the win?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Oh yeah he’s getting called back up. If we have a few more lack lustre games with no scoring they will have to do it just so the pitch forks don’t come out lol. He’s gotten himself up to pace very quickly. His first game for Utica was “ok” but since then him and Goldy have really taken off. 

Then you add add in the fact that Cull has them pencilled in as their “3rd” line is pretty crazy. I can see why he’s doing that tho. The first 2 lines he has grouped together have more of a chance staying on he farm compared to Goldy and Baer. 

I’m liking the top 3 lines in Utica this year...Lind, Camper/Graovac,Boucher....then Gadj, MacEwen, and Bailey (big body line), then Baer, Jasek, and Goldy...all 3 lines are scorching hot right now!

I’d love to see more of Baer with Gaudette to see if there is some real chemistry there. 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

my issue with Baer in Vancouver is whether he can handle heavy CUP play. There is no doubt he is NHL capable. If, as Green and Benning keep saying, they are building a multi year CUP contending team then the question is whether Baer fits. Do they bring Baer back in and take TOI from a player who might mature into a CUP contender. On a short term basis Baer might work well. With his injury history I am more concerned about the long term. 

If Baer's play in Utica continues both he and Goldy will get offers. The big bonus for Benning is that his depth is allowing him to play a longer game in deal making. I love what JB has accomplished during his tenure.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Oh yeah he’s getting called back up. If we have a few more lack lustre games with no scoring they will have to do it just so the pitch forks don’t come out lol. He’s gotten himself up to pace very quickly. His first game for Utica was “ok” but since then him and Goldy have really taken off. 

Then you add add in the fact that Cull has them pencilled in as their “3rd” line is pretty crazy. I can see why he’s doing that tho. The first 2 lines he has grouped together have more of a chance staying on he farm compared to Goldy and Baer. 

I’m liking the top 3 lines in Utica this year...Lind, Camper/Graovac,Boucher....then Gadj, MacEwen, and Bailey (big body line), then Baer, Jasek, and Goldy...all 3 lines are scorching hot right now!

I’d love to see more of Baer with Gaudette to see if there is some real chemistry there. 

I'm not really sure that you can say that Goldy and Baertschi are on the third line. I would say that Lind - Camper - Boucher are the first line but based on usage Goldobin - Jasek - Baertschi and Bailey - Perron - MacEwen are 2A and 2B.

Has Sven or Goldy been used on the PK...if so how much and how have they looked. CDC people seem to think Sven in particular can't play bottom 6 as that is PK role players. I realize Goldy is not suited for a 4th line limited role but I think Sven could play 4th line at worst and be able to help PP#2 unit out and maybe slide in for some PK work as well. But that is just me!

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Has Sven or Goldy been used on the PK...if so how much and how have they looked. CDC people seem to think Sven in particular can't play bottom 6 as that is PK role players. I realize Goldy is not suited for a 4th line limited role but I think Sven could play 4th line at worst and be able to help PP#2 unit out and maybe slide in for some PK work as well. But that is just me!

Goldy has and he also did two years ago in his last stint with the Comets in an effort to improve his defensive awareness.  Sven has not.

Just now, UticaHockey said:

Goldy has and he also did two years ago in his last stint with the Comets in an effort to improve his defensive awareness.  Sven has not.

That is too bad Sven hasn't. If we were giving him some PK time I could see them trying that out and then if he gets called up he could fit that bottom 6 role more effectively for some... Goldy on the other hand, I don't see Green ever giving him PK time on the Canucks roster.

Really wish those 2 guys the best, especially Sven with all he has gone thru he still is a legit NHL player in my opinion and it was the wrong decision to send him to Utica over some other players. Hoping he can make it back up but I have my doubts unless we get a few you know whats...

48 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I'm not really sure that you can say that Goldy and Baertschi are on the third line. I would say that Lind - Camper - Boucher are the first line but based on usage Goldobin - Jasek - Baertschi and Bailey - Perron - MacEwen are 2A and 2B.

You bet, that’s why I said “pencilled” in. I’ve looked at their game day roster charts and found it funny that they were the “3rd” line. I agree it’s more a 2 a/2 b situation. Hoping Graovac gets back in the line up soon. He was looking good before getting injured!

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You bet, that’s why I said “pencilled” in. I’ve looked at their game day roster charts and found it funny that they were the “3rd” line. I agree it’s more a 2 a/2 b situation. Hoping Graovac gets back in the line up soon. He was looking good before getting injured!

Might be getting Gaudette soon also

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is too bad Sven hasn't. If we were giving him some PK time I could see them trying that out and then if he gets called up he could fit that bottom 6 role more effectively for some... Goldy on the other hand, I don't see Green ever giving him PK time on the Canucks roster.

Really wish those 2 guys the best, especially Sven with all he has gone thru he still is a legit NHL player in my opinion and it was the wrong decision to send him to Utica over some other players. Hoping he can make it back up but I have my doubts unless we get a few you know whats...

Goldobin never played PK before going to Utica.  Baerstschi has played plenty of PK in juniors - even 3v5.  WD used him on the PK towards the end of his tenure and he looked good.    

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Goldobin never played PK before going to Utica.  Baerstschi has played plenty of PK in juniors - even 3v5.  WD used him on the PK towards the end of his tenure and he looked good.    

Too bad Green doesn't see Sven the same, was Green the coach when Sven played PK in Portland or was it Johnson?