The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

1 hour ago, DS4quality said:

very little change from last year

That's exactly it! Last year everyone was saying we just didn't have enough talent in the line up. Now we have a much better line up and we're playing exactly the same. So if isn't the players then who is it? It's the coaching staff.

• Cheers 1

In typical fashion, 2 games in and the coach’s leash is shortened.

Give the guy 10-15 games before making a fair assessment on things. New faces, 4 new lines, 3 new defense pairings.. there have been a lot of changes. Luck has never been on our side where we hit the ground running at the start of the season, especially with so many changes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cluminati* said:

In typical fashion, 2 games in and the coach’s leash is shortened.

Give the guy 10-15 games before making a fair assessment on things. New faces, 4 new lines, 3 new defense pairings.. there have been a lot of changes. Luck has never been on our side where we hit the ground running at the start of the season, especially with so many changes. 

Yeah, 4 new lines and 3 new defensive pairings, if they don't all gel instantly, of course it must mean that the coach is incompetent. After all, in video games when you pick up several new impact players, the team is instantly a powerhouse, right? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

With this new coach reckoning, which is a reflection of society's reckoning/cultural updating of manners, how do people feel about Green now?

I, for one, see Green as the coach of the future, where players love to play for him and always know where he stands. 

However, I wonder if the Nucks will look into Dahlen and Palmu to find out what may have really happened?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

With this new coach reckoning, which is a reflection of society's reckoning/cultural updating of manners, how do people feel about Green now?

I, for one, see Green as the coach of the future, where players love to play for him and always know where he stands. 

However, I wonder if the Nucks will look into Dahlen and Palmu to find out what may have really happened?

If we are going to do that, can we ask Tryamkin what happened with Willie?

I can't stand him because of his bush league treatment of Virtanen. He has more goals than Ericksson, Leivo, graovac combined and they've all had PP time and Virtanen hasn't had one shift there. Don't tell me it's a hockey IQ thing unless you're talking about Green. Virtanen has been playing good and we've watched his ice time decrease. He also had Schaller on the third line while Virtanen was on the fourth line with less than 10 minutes a game. Maybe they are doing this purposely because he's in a contract year? I just don't get it,

5 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

I can't stand him because of his bush league treatment of Virtanen. He has more goals than Ericksson, Leivo, graovac combined and they've all had PP time and Virtanen hasn't had one shift there. Don't tell me it's a hockey IQ thing unless you're talking about Green. Virtanen has been playing good and we've watched his ice time decrease. He also had Schaller on the third line while Virtanen was on the fourth line with less than 10 minutes a game. Maybe they are doing this purposely because he's in a contract year? I just don't get it,

When a coach is treating 4th line plugs better than the 2014 6th overall pick, then I think that's a problem. From my vantrage pioint, it looks like Green has developed Jake in Utica, but he also seems to be holding him back by limiting his ice time, limiting his role. I don't get it either, Jake has played well. He's using his speed when he needs to, he hits, he backchecks, and he's producing here and there.

Free Jake!  

6 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

He has more goals than Ericksson, Leivo, graovac combined and they've all had PP time and Virtanen hasn't had one shift there.

image.thumb.png.5228546a5220537d944b55e660955777.png

False.  JV has gotten time on the PP, not a lot but to say he hasn't had a shift is BS.

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, Jester13 said:

Green was already up with the Canucks when Dahlen and Palmu decided to leave Utica. 

2 hours ago, Clock Tower Prison said:

Green was already up with the Canucks when Dahlen and Palmu decided to leave Utica. 

Sure was. I was referring to the Utica coaching staff. I don't think we need to worry about Green's coaching style. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

When a coach is treating 4th line plugs better than the 2014 6th overall pick, then I think that's a problem. From my vantrage pioint, it looks like Green has developed Jake in Utica, but he also seems to be holding him back by limiting his ice time, limiting his role. I don't get it either, Jake has played well. He's using his speed when he needs to, he hits, he backchecks, and he's producing here and there.

Free Jake!  

Game management everyone.  JV came into camp not as prepared as he should have been and has struggled with stamina and energy in the past.  

Green expects more from Jake and it shows.  He could be nursing an injury or Green wants him strong in the second half.  

Who knows, but it is clear they aren't show casing him, so he is likely in their long term plans still.  

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Game management everyone.  JV came into camp not as prepared as he should have been and has struggled with stamina and energy in the past.  

Green expects more from Jake and it shows.  He could be nursing an injury or Green wants him strong in the second half.  

Who knows, but it is clear they aren't show casing him, so he is likely in their long term plans still.  

So he's never going to forgive him for not meeting the personalized targets that he gave to him and no one else on the team? If you think he has stamina issues still, you must not be watching the games. He has about 10 times more hits than Horvat, always at the top of the hits category but he stamina issues....ok. 

8 hours ago, Timbermen said:

So he's never going to forgive him for not meeting the personalized targets that he gave to him and no one else on the team? If you think he has stamina issues still, you must not be watching the games. He has about 10 times more hits than Horvat, always at the top of the hits category but he stamina issues....ok. 

I know as much as you.  Green and JV have along history and JV could have easily not made it after all his early issues.  Green rebuilt JV's game from the ground up.  Maybe it's like having your dad as the coach and he always goes out and pushes you harder than anyone else.  

We are not inside the room, the coaches office, the trainers office, the GM's office.  JV's game has improved every year Green has had him as a player, just not quickly.  

What is one aspect of the current team that is our strongest... depth scoring.  JV Gaudette and Rousell looks poised to be a serious threat as a third line.  

Leivo has done really well with Horvat and Pearson.  Can't say that line needs to be split up, JV isn't going to supplant Miller or Brock on Ep40's wing anytime soon.  

None of that is a bad thing.  Roster moves and injuries happen all time, this isn't a static situation and JV will get his chance.  To be fair, JV did not start his year on the right foot, something he has done previously, so Green has some reason to be harder on him than most other roster players.

BTW, JV has had issues with his fitness alot on his pro career, game management would definitely be part of Green's strategy with him and others.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The way I see it, Green knows Jake as a player on a deeper level than what we see. He's coached him on the farm and the big club. I don't believe anything negative is going with how Green uses Jake. 

Everyone develops differently. Some guys get complacent and lazy when they're rewarded and feel safe. I think this is where a lot of that comes from. Not coming to camp prepared, imo, is an example of that. 

If Jake is the type of guy that you need to keep on an edge, so he plays with an edge, it makes sense. The only way Jake will be rewarded and truly feel safe on the team is when he's consistent in all areas of his game and not giving in to complaceny. There also seems to be a maturity issue as well, which is a slow burn for some guys.

Who knows for sure. Jake is getting better by the year, so something's working. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The way I see it, Green knows Jake as a player on a deeper level than what we see. He's coached him on the farm and the big club. I don't believe anything negative is going with how Green uses Jake. 

Everyone develops differently. Some guys get complacent and lazy when they're rewarded and feel safe. I think this is where a lot of that comes from. Not coming to camp prepared, imo, is an example of that. 

If Jake is the type of guy that you need to keep on an edge, so he plays with an edge, it makes sense. The only way Jake will be rewarded and truly feel safe on the team is when he's consistent in all areas of his game and not giving in to complaceny. There also seems to be a maturity issue as well, which is a slow burn for some guys.

This could well be. These points are changing my opinion of Green as coaching is more than meets the eye of the fans. The only thing that bothers me is when he plays really good putting up a couple of points, he always gets his minutes cut the next game. It seems strange to me.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:43 AM, CptCanuck16 said:

IS Rep hanThat's exactly it! Last year everyone was saying we just didn't have enough talent in the line up. Now we have a much better line up and we're playing exactly the same. So if isn't the players then who is it? It's the coaching staff.

OR,  maybe it's not having the full lineup to work with - last year when injuries hit we went on a terrible 12 game losing streak.   This year not quite so bad.   Two of the last five game we've won TG used his toolbox and made an impact.  Complaining non-stop about his abilities as a coach is about as tiring as one Bertuzzi fan relentlessly attacking Myers.    He's not bad - one of 11 coaches to get votes for the Adams at the quarter mark.   Wha wha wha f@cking wa.   All these posts critiques about the coaching staff - and little suggestions about who would be a better coach.  Anyone?  Ha ha just go see how much fun it is on Leaf land with Sheldon Keefe.   9 times or 9.5 times out of ten it's the players that make the difference.   Coaching changes usually give the team a small boost, occasionally it works - most of the time it's the first step before guys get traded (it's almost always a personal thing).  

Very rarely do you see a Berube effect.  Like hardly ever.  It happens though - Keenan did it and then used it to keep himself relevant until Vancouver.   But their GM changed half the team too that year and mortgaged their future ( and won a cup).  

We have never our entire history had a collection of young guys and prospects like we do now.  We have to pay our dues like every other team and so does TG.    Give them some time and I'm pretty confident the results will come.   Changing the coach with a veteran team is a Hail Mary -  changing a coach on a young team that is going through the paces is almost always not going to affect the standings in any way - and often goes the other

edit: Say what?  Exactly the same?  The past two years we couldn't buy a goal most of the time.   This team has one of the best secondary scoring in the entire league.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Timbermen said:

This could well be. These points are changing my opinion of Green as coaching is more than meets the eye of the fans. The only thing that bothers me is when he plays really good putting up a couple of points, he always gets his minutes cut the next game. It seems strange to me.

Yeah, it is unconventional and frustrating. When you really think about it - and this is only one way of looking at things - it's not about being "rewarded" when he puts up points.

It's more about putting up those same points without having to be rewarded and finding a way to do it with the ice-time he's given. To me, that would make sense why we see his minutes cut the next game. I can't imagine that he and Green don't talk about it. 

Again, who knows ... just a different take on it from my view.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

mortgaged

35 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Good post and I agree.  TG was a relative high pick himself and he's said that it took time to figure out the right way to play.  I'm pretty sure that's what he's trying to instil in all our young players and he trusts certain players more.  Babcock is criticized for judging guys and the ones he doesn't like don't get the minutes or even the chance to play (Leivo for example - obviously TG feels differently).   JV is a big part of our team and I believe TG is working hard to get the best out of him where as others would have just asked to trade him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1