The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

So heard a lot about keto and did a fair bit of research on the keto diet.  Year after year it is rated as last place on list of best diets. Also the studies do tend to point towards that higher amount of fats coming from red meats/fried food ect... do tend to raise the chance of heart attacks. I do realize they are doctors and studies to prove benefits of Keto and I know 4people who have gone it and lost a lot of weight. I know bodybuilders will go on Keto when they are cutting so it does seem like a good weight lost diet but the risks put me off big time. I am not here to hate by any means. Anything that causes people to feel better, lose weight, enjoy food and become better then before I am for. I do have a few questions out of curiosity.

Who/what and how were you convinced?

Any heart issues?

what do your doctors say about it?

do you guys feed your kids Keto stuff and what are the effects of that?

I will probably be in this thread a lot. Just been scared to be on it longer then a meal or two. 

I started just to lose weight,  but then I started to do research on it and the benefits are overwhelming.

Heart issues no carbs are what causes heart issues,  when you eat carbs they are literally poison that your body needs to get rid of by producing insulin which pushes the carbs through your arterial walls which produces micro tears,  over time this causes your arteries to eventually weaken and rip.  Your body then needs to produce cholesterol in order to repair the tears/rips which clogs your arteries and you eventually get heart disease.

Doctors says he's going to do it as after he saw my results he started researching it and agrees its the way to go.

We try to keep our kids low carb not keto its too hard on kids not physically but they feel like there missing out.

You can get many of the health benefits just by lowering the amount of carbs you eat you just wont get the weight loss. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

A typical day for me would be:

Breakfast

2 strips bacon, 2 fried eggs, a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese (or any sugar free dairy)

Lunch

Breadless sandwiches, handful of lower carb nuts, pickles! Basically I construct the sandwich using the meat as the outside to hold everything in. 

Dinner

Chicken Pizza with Caesar Salad. Flatten a chicken breast as the bread. A homemade sugarless Caesar dressing with lots of parmasan and bacon.

I don’t count calories or carbs. Just eat the diet and enjoy the fatty foods! Once your body starts producing a large amount of Ketones in order to break down the fat stored in your body, you will naturally reduce the amount you want to eat. I will literally eat half the calories while on this diet but feel just as full. My energy goes up too.

This sounds too good to be true!  There is a God, and his name is Keton.  

2 minutes ago, thrago said:

I started just to lose weight,  but then I started to do research on it and the benefits are overwhelming.

Heart issues no carbs are what causes heart issues,  when you eat carbs they are literally poison that your body needs to get rid of by producing insulin which pushes the carbs through your arterial walls which produces micro tears,  over time this causes your arteries to eventually weaken and rip.  Your body then needs to produce cholesterol in order to repair the tears/rips which clogs your arteries and you eventually get heart disease.

Doctors says he's going to do it as after he saw my results he started researching it and agrees its the way to go.

We try to keep our kids low carb not keto its too hard on kids not physically but they feel like there missing out.

You can get many of the health benefits just by lowering the amount of carbs you eat you just wont get the weight loss. 

:picard:

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

Thanks. I had no idea. Weight loss or gain is built on a calorie surplus or deficit. It's a numbers game. 

What works for you doesn’t work for everyone. Some people don’t have the time to exercise as much as they should. Some people have tried other diets without results. Some people have trouble sticking to diets because they feel deprived. This is a fantastic diet for people that fall into those categories. 

Thanks. I had no idea. Weight loss or gain is built on a calorie surplus or deficit. It's a numbers game. 

its actually more of a hormonal game the more insulin your body produces the fatter you will be.  Carbs have the biggest effect on your insulin levels thus they cause you to gain weight.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Who cares about all this negative stuff!  Can you say all you can eat BACON?  

What about green crap.  My wife is always sneaking greens into my meat with those stir fry things.  It’s a pain picking through that crap hunting for meat.  

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

this will be a juicy topic.  I have a feeling

I will not be part of if going forward. After reading the posts of a few people swearing by this cult diet, I refuse to continue the discussion. It is clear these people don't understand the causes of heart disease and cardio vascular problems. The saying too good to be true can apply here. People who can logically convince them selves a diet high in animals fats is healthy scare me...

Just now, Alflives said:

Who cares about all this negative stuff!  Can you say all you can eat BACON?  

What about green crap.  My wife is always sneaking greens into my meat with those stir fry things.  It’s a pain picking through that crap hunting for meat.  

green stuffs ok but root vegtables are no good.

3 minutes ago, thrago said:

its actually more of a hormonal game the more insulin your body produces the fatter you will be.  Carbs have the biggest effect on your insulin levels thus they cause you to gain weight.

So basically I get to live on meat?  OMG!  What guy wouldn’t love this diet?  

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I will not be part of if going forward. After reading the posts of a few people swearing by this cult diet, I refuse to continue the discussion. It is clear these people don't understand the causes of heart disease and cardio vascular problems. The saying too good to be true can apply here. People who can logically convince them selves a diet high in animals fats is healthy scare me...

Well the thread was created for people on Keto to share successes, failures, and recipes, as I said in the description. The intent is not to convert people, and certainly not for unnecessary arguments. If you don’t like Keto that’s fine. Probably not the thread for you. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You and Ansil Keys would get along great.  By the way he's the guy who they now know falsified the 7 counties studies that convinced everyone into believing saturated fat was bad for you. BTW you don't have to eat animal fat Coconut oil is a great and healthy source of fat which also happens to be saturated as well.

Edited by thrago