The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

13 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Diet that is heavy in fats usually leads to heart disease.

That's not true even the American heart association has reversed there thinking on that.  That's ideas that was instilled in us in the late 70's and has been proven to be completely faults.

17 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The original post that I replied to said “all you can eat bacon”

Unless I missed something eating lot of bacon is not good for you.

Nah its all about macro nutrients you just want to keep your calorie intake to about 75% or more of your energy coming from good fats,  Some people do Keto as vegetarians is a lot harder but doable. 

One of the big things if you want to eat lots of meat is to try to get grass fed meat as corn fed meat has problems to if you eat to much of it.  That being said its not the easiest to find and is expensive.  Coconut oil is a great way to add fat to your diet and is very healthy you can buy huge tubs of it at Costco for about $25 so its not too expensive either.

40 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

The original post that I replied to said “all you can eat bacon”

Unless I missed something eating lot of bacon is not good for you.

No one really knows for sure there was study a couple years back that sent out a questionnaire and asked people a lot of questions about how often people ate processed food and bacon over the last year and came to the conclusion that you have about a higher chance 2% to get cancer.  However in the medical community the study was considered to be invalid which didn't stop the media from running with the story.  

It was riddled with too many problems to consider valid for one it's very hard for people to remember what they ate yesterday never mind what they ate all last year.  It also didn't ask other health related questions like do you smoke or drink a lot etc. and the difference in health outcomes was so low it really didn't mean anything.  I wish they would do a proper study but it would be very expensive to run and would take many years. 

The effects of a poor diet take a lot longer to measure then those of a healthy diet do.  People don't get cancer after eating bacon for a year at least not in that year it would happen many years in the future at least for most people.

Edited by thrago

One thing I will say for sure is that there is that excessive eating of carbs especially refined carbs is terrible for you so whether you agree with Keto or not everyone should make a conscious effort reduce carb intake as much as they can Low carb/Paleo diets are still much healther then the SAD (standard American diet) but not as extreme (for lack of a better word) as Keto.  If your like me and you like to do research on things that interest you, it wont take long to find out how bad carbs really are for you.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Canorth said:

Just realizing the gravity of planning a day of meals with only 20g of carbs.... they’re absolutely everywhere. 

Not saying I can’t do it; I already minimize my carb intake because they make me feel gross. I’ll have to grab the wheel for every single meal. 

And learn how to cook...

Yeah I cook way more now then I ever did in the past, the good thing about that is I now actually know what I'm eating is which whole foods not a lot of preservatives, food coloring etc in my diet anymore. 

Edited by thrago
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Losing 10 to 15 lbs is the goal. Will do a month and see how it goes and how I feel. I just can't give up beer and whisky forever but have cut WAY down on that this past year. 

I'll post some pics and the recipe here when it happens :) 

At about the 1 month mark I started loosing weight myself.

https://www.delish.com/food/g26987069/low-carb-beer/  

Theres another my buddy showed me in a light blue/white can that he got at some liquor store in abby, I can't remember its name right now.

3 hours ago, thrago said:

No one really knows for sure there was study a couple years back that sent out a questionnaire and asked people a lot of questions about how often people ate processed food and bacon over the last year and came to the conclusion that you have about a higher chance 2% to get cancer.  However in the medical community the study was considered to be invalid which didn't stop the media from running with the story.  

It was riddled with too many problems to consider valid for one it's very hard for people to remember what they ate yesterday never mind what they ate all last year.  It also didn't ask other health related questions like do you smoke or drink a lot etc. and the difference in health outcomes was so low it really didn't mean anything.  I wish they would do a proper study but it would be very expensive to run and would take many years. 

The effects of a poor diet take a lot longer to measure then those of a healthy diet do.  People don't get cancer after eating bacon for a year at least not in that year it would happen many years in the future at least for most people.

Carbs are part of the normal diet, humans have been consuming them forever.

The problem is overconsumption of refined sugars, flours, artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, cereals, sodas coffee drinks etc.

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Add sedentary lifestyle and of of course type 2 diabetes has skyrocketed.

People that are replacing carbs with processed meats, cured bacon, sausages, grilled meats etc. are not doing themselves a favor.

Of course olive oil, avocado, nuts etc. are examples of good fats, the problem is typical American diet includes more of the above mentioned meats.

Well that's not true about the Carb thing its only been about 10,000 years that we have started eating carbs other then what was found in fruits and vegetables and those where only available seasonally.

Being Keto has nothing to do with eating any of the stuff you mentioned.  I eat about a pack of bacon every week other then that the other things you mentioned are pretty rare. Because my diet is so high in fat I eat roughly half as much  as someone else my size.  I ate 3-4 times what I do now pre keto, I was also 245 lbs vs 180 now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Other than learning how to cook.  I'm finding it hard to give up beer.:sadno:

There are some kingcans of beer that have 3 carbs. I can't remember the name but I picked a couple up before going to a golf tournament this summer. So you could fit 2 or 3 into the diet once in awhile if you liked.

Edited by thrago

3 hours ago, thrago said:

Well that's not true about the Carb thing its only been about 10,000 years that we have started eating carbs other then what was found in fruits and vegetables and those where only available seasonally.

Being Keto has nothing to do with eating any of the stuff you mentioned.  I eat about a pack of bacon every week other then that the other things you mentioned are pretty rare. Because my diet is so high in fat I eat roughly half as much  as someone else my size.  I ate 3-4 times what I do now pre keto, I was also 245 lbs vs 180 now.

Not true, starch granules have been found on tools and teeth that are at least 100 000 years old.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/stone-age-diet-included-processed-grains-1.838541

1 hour ago, thrago said:

There are some kingcans of beer that have 3 carbs. I can't remember the name but I picked a couple up before going to a golf tournament this summer. So you could fit 2 or 3 into the diet once in awhile if you liked.

But hard to find low carb beers when dining out.  I guess I'll have to settle for water.

13 hours ago, thrago said:

One of the big things if you want to eat lots of meat is to try to get grass fed meat as corn fed meat has problems to if you eat to much of it.  That being said its not the easiest to find and is expensive.  Coconut oil is a great way to add fat to your diet and is very healthy you can buy huge tubs of it at Costco for about $25 so its not too expensive either.

My local grocery has NZ and Aus beef typically which is grass fed.  Just bought one of those giant tubs of coconut oil actually :) 

3 hours ago, BPA said:

But hard to find low carb beers when dining out.  I guess I'll have to settle for water.

Phillips has a 78 calorie one thats ok.  But I like IPA's...  

I'm curious as to how active are the people on the keto diet.  How well did changing over to the keto diet maintain your energy levels for the highly active individual. 

By highly active, I mean 6 days a week of 90 to 120 minutes of high intensity strength training and cardio exercises.  Would changing to a keto diet affect the ability to maintain those energy levels continuously through the diet change?

2 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm curious as to how active are the people on the keto diet.  How well did changing over to the keto diet maintain your energy levels for the highly active individual. 

By highly active, I mean 6 days a week of 90 to 120 minutes of high intensity strength training and cardio exercises.  Would changing to a keto diet affect the ability to maintain those energy levels continuously through the diet change?

It would be tough at first it takes a bit for your body to do the change once your Keto adapted you will be much better off.