The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

20 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

In this thread we have people that have tried it and are disciplined have had great results and those who have no idea what they are talking about being negative. Aggressive ignorance is what it is. Everyone here can do what they wish of course but I'm going to keep going ahead with this because it works. Not all fats are good, some are downright dangerous such as margarine and pretty much every type of cooking oil you can buy except olive, avocado and coconut. Animal fats are excellent for you, I have whole cream cream and berries quite often too and occasionally yogurt as well. When you find out almost everything we were taught about food is wrong it will make you angry. All these weird autoimmune diseases and the spike in heart attacks and numerous other diseases started to go up when what's called the "standard American diet" was implemented.

Excellent post Gerry35.

Keto Bun

Ingredients
● 1¼ cups almond flour
● 5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder
● 2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1 teaspoon sea salt
● 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
● 1 cup boiling water
● 3 egg whites
● 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry
ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg
whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for
about 30 seconds. Don't over mix the dough, the
consistency should resemble Play-Doh.
3. Moisten hands and form dough into 6 pieces of bread.
You can also make hot dog or hamburger buns. Place
on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes,
depending on the size of your bread. They're done
when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom
of the bun.
5. Serve with butter and toppings of your choice. Store the
bread in the fridge or freezer.

Number of Servings: 6
Net Carbs per Serving: 2

Literally tastes just like bread to me... I don't bake but this is super easy to make. Sometimes I add baker's yeast to get a fluffier bun. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Tbf we expect to live longer now then say a 100years ago. Partly less wars and technology but from what I have read is that a person who eats less animal fats and eats a lot of vegetables and fruits will live longer and healthier

Curious on the chrorestoral post that will be coming. My family does have a history of diabetes and heart issues. So managing sugar intake and chrorestoral has been my habit for years now 

Edited by milk and honey

1 minute ago, milk and honey said:

Tbf we expect to live longer now then say a 100years ago. Partly less wars and technology but from what I have read is that a person who eats less animal fats and eats a lot of vegetables and fruits will live longer and healthier

Don't forget that infant mortality rate is included in that statistic. Although yes people are living longer today the statistic is also skewed because we are much better at keeping newborn babies alive than ever before. 

If the old adage "you are what you eat" has any truth to it, you probably don't want to be eating dead stuff all the time. 

• Upvote 1

The general idea behind Keto is that your body in no longer using carbs as source for fuel. 

Changing that fuel to fat.  Once your body adapts to the new fuel source (fat) you will begin to lose weight (fat).

And since you primarily have to prepare everything yourself, you bypass all the "fast food" joints that is typically not good for you.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Darius said:

Ive gone the opposite way - whole food plant based diet.  High in non refined carbs like whole grains, fruits and vegetables.  I'm middle aged.  never felt better.  Been sick once in three years.   Blood results come back excellent.  Inflammation markers like CRP measured lower than the smallest number the test is sensitive for.

My family thinks im nuts.  If you told me id be doing this 5 years ago i would have laughed.  Ill break down once in a while and eat what they eat, but other than that keep trucking along.

End of the day just do whats best for you.  Good to see all the success stories.

That's great man.  We all have to do what works for us. I like to refer to it as a lifestyle instead of a diet as even though technically true people associate diet as a temporary thing to lose weight. 

I'm glad you found your thing and your feeling good, that's all I hope for anyone.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

The general idea behind Keto is that your body in no longer using carbs as source for fuel. 

Changing that fuel to fat.  Once your body adapts to the new fuel source (fat) you will begin to lose weight (fat).

And since you primarily have to prepare everything yourself, you bypass all the "fast food" joints that is typically not good for you.

Absolutely I rarely if ever used to cook now I do every day which I think for a lot of people is one of the hardest things.

Someone earlier mentioned this is a diet full of trans fats which frankly I have no clue how they came to that conclusion as I dont eat any on this diet/lifestyle.

• Cheers 1

My co-worker friend is on the Keto diet - lost 15 pounds in 2 months (this was last summer)  My co-worker was to try the diet but never did.  He couldn't get started as he doesn't generally cook.  That's probably the hardest thing...doing something you're not accustomed to doing.

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Question about carbs and starchy "vegetables": how does the keto diet view potatoes, corn, and beans?

I think it depends on how you are approaching the keto diet.

Short answer: you can't have any of those starchy plant foods.

Long answer: it depends:

The main factor in the Ketogenic diet is to get in (and then stay in) Ketosis.

Ketosis:

Spoiler

Ketosis is a metabolic state where the body starts to burn fat for energy rather than carbohydrates or sugars due to an absence of the latter.

(A good analogy might be that carbs are like gun powder whereas fats are like candles - carbs are great for quick energy (but if not used will turn to fat very rapidly) - Fats are great for sustained energy as it burns much slower) 

In order to get yourself into ketosis you must deprive the body of sugar and carbs for a period of time. Before going into Ketosis however, the body will turn to the liver and muscles to get glucose (sugar) from a process call glycogenolysis - where glycogen is basically broken down into glucose to keep blood sugar up.

This is why it is important not to be cheating on the Keto diet as this glycogenolysis is a strain on the liver and muscles. (i.e. once in ketosis do your best to stay there) 

Once this glycogen supply is depleted the body should now move into Ketosis where the liver produces ketones as a result of the breakdown of fat into energy. 

If this fat metabolism happens too quickly there is the risk of moving into a state known as Ketoacidosis - this can drastically lower the pH of the blood and lead to some serious conditions even death.

So what does all that mean? Those starchy veggies can be useful in a Keto diet (in limited quantities) to regulate the fat metabolism happening in the liver. This would be more useful for some people (especially diabetics) in preventing acidosis.

That being said one would have to keep a close watch on ketone levels either through urine strips or as others have mentioned breath monitors. 

In which case it might be better for that person to not count the amount of carbohydrates they consume but rather the net carbohydrates which is:

# of grams of carbohydrates - # of grams of fibre = net carbohydrates 

Limiting net carbs to about 20-40 per day should be sufficient for most people to get into ketosis without running the risk of ketoacidosis. 

Since those foods you mentioned can be very high in carbs and some also being high in fibre, they could be used in this form of Ketogenic Diet. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

eggs or egg whites okay to have? Green veggies are good also right?

Yes to both but having the yoke in is better.  All veggies are fine except for root veggies, meaning the ones that grow in the ground Eg Potatos, carrots.

13 hours ago, Stelar said:

Have tried this for a couple of weeks a couple of times. Could barely get up and down the ice. Felt bagged. Maybe I didn’t do it long enough. Definitely dropped the pounds though. 

When I started, the first month I lacked some energy then one day it seemed like my body suddenly got a shot of addrenaline for the whole day and thats when I figure my body finally hit ketosis and started burning the fat as opposed to the carbs like it usually does.

12 hours ago, gerry35 said:

In this thread we have people that have tried it and are disciplined have had great results and those who have no idea what they are talking about being negative. Aggressive ignorance is what it is. Everyone here can do what they wish of course but I'm going to keep going ahead with this because it works. Not all fats are good, some are downright dangerous such as margarine and pretty much every type of cooking oil you can buy except olive, avocado and coconut. Animal fats are excellent for you, I have whole cream cream and berries quite often too and occasionally yogurt as well. When you find out almost everything we were taught about food is wrong it will make you angry. All these weird autoimmune diseases and the spike in heart attacks and numerous other diseases started to go up when what's called the "standard American diet" was implemented.

Its funny I have heard of people who had all these problems all their lives going keto/carnivore and after a few months their body seemed to repair themselves once they got off the "american diet" of carbs.  I don't really have anything myself but people have sworn by the diets that its fixed things that doctors for years would prescribe and only minorly fix or temp fix their issues.  Don't know if theirs any hard evidence but I read it all the time.