The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks assign Adam Gaudette to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, fatigue and lack of puck possession. Our improved skill, size and depth are likely to continue to reduce our chronic injury woes.

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And puck movement. Hughes especially but also Myers and even Benn have mad a HUGE difference in how much time we spend without the puck and/or in our own end. And the improvements at forward ensure once we get it back and at the other end, it stays there more.

These are good points, we are not getting stuck in our own end anymore because we can't gain possession. The board play is probably the main factor and the improved size of the team. A little bit more skill and veteran presence has helped as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I get the options arguement and I understand the depth we have that we have never seen on this team before, but Gaudette deserved 9 games and if he didn't fit in or produce then theres a reason to send him down but 3 games and press box time after the preseason he had and considering we have had a hard time scoring for the most part, I'm just sayin

Why 9 games? He deserved it just because? What was our record with him in and what's our record with him out?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a ridiculous idea. Hopefully Gaudette doesn't have nearly the sense of entitlement you have. 

With what it appears JB has been able to assemble, I highly doubt he would be grooming such a player that carries such attributes. That's what makes this young group so hopeful is that they come with a lot of character and a team first attitude. I think we can safely say he is not that type of player.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

With what it appears JB has been able to assemble, I highly doubt he would be grooming such a player that carries such attributes. That's what makes this young group so hopeful is that they come with a lot of character and a team first attitude. I think we can safely say he is not that type of player.

I hope so because Gaudette will be a good player for years to come I just hope its for us. One day if he's still with our organization he will be our 3rd line center and Sutter won't be here forever probably not even the entire season

Edited by Sbriggs

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

That poster is pretty confused. He is probably thinking of the 9 game limit for junior players before they eat into their contracts, something that does not apply to Gaudette. And he doesn't want to answer which player he thinks should sit out for Gaud, just wants to say "somebody (unspecified) oughta do something (unspecified)."

Your right I was confused on the 9 game Jr rule but I am not confused as to why I think he should of had a better shot, at least better then 3 games and as to who comes out of the line up you could have and still could move Ferland down to the 4th line and have Sutter play wing, right now Ferland is not playing his best and pretty much any of Motte, Leivo or Schaller could have done press box time to allow Gaudette more ice time to see if he continues to earn his right to stay

Edited by Sbriggs

57 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Your right I was confused on the 9 game Jr rule but I am not confused as to why I think he should of had a better shot, at least better then 3 games and as to who comes out of the line up you could have and still could move Ferland down to the 4th line and have Sutter play wing, right now Ferland is not playing his best and pretty much any of Motte, Leivo or Schaller could have done press box time to allow Gaudette more ice time to see if he continues to earn his right to stay

The main theme over the past while has been that we need to be, "harder to play against". Sorry but Gaud does not fit that bill yet. The guys you identified?....Do. Although he has improved over last year, he still has work to do. You seem to like to notice his pluses but you really need to look at the things he needs to work on still, he's still young. Faceoffs for sure but he still needs work on the defensive side of his game as some one has already stated. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:16 AM, Dombrova22 said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if this kid requested a trade. And I wouldn't blame him one bit either. 

Okay. Either you are looking just to get a reaction out of people with this comment (ie. obvious trolling) or you're not surprised by anything, realistic or unrealistic....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The main theme over the past while has been that we need to be, "harder to play against". Sorry but Gaud does not fit that bill yet. The guys you identified?....Do. Although he has improved over last year, he still has work to do. You seem to like to notice his pluses but you really need to look at the things he needs to work on still, he's still young. Faceoffs for sure but he still needs work on the defensive side of his game as some one has already stated. 

No better place to learn then with the big club, like I said he deserved it

23 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

No better place to learn then with the big club, like I said he deserved it

Not at the expense of a team trying to make the playoffs. Not gonna help us win games if we throw him into a checking role he is not ready for. We are icing a winning lineup and he's better served getting way more ice time and responsibility down in Utica.

If he was playing wing it would be different since he could be slotted into the top 6 but it looks like they want to develop him as a C that can eventually take up Sutter's defensive responsibilities as well as the 2nd PP. Right now he is only good on the 2nd PP and that is not enough. 

When injuries to any C hit, he'll be the first call up. That's depth I am happy about.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Not at the expense of a team trying to make the playoffs. Not gonna help us win games if we throw him into a checking role he is not ready for. We are icing a winning lineup and he's better served getting way more ice time and responsibility down in Utica.

If he was playing wing it would be different since he could be slotted into the top 6 but it looks like they want to develop him as a C that can eventually take up Sutter's defensive responsibilities as well as the 2nd PP. Right now he is only good on the 2nd PP and that is not enough. 

When injuries to any C hit, he'll be the first call up. That's depth I am happy about.

ok too much, lets agree to diagree. Like I said I was only going by JB statement of giving someone a spot if they earn there spot and Most agree Gaudette earned his spot

49 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

ok too much, lets agree to diagree. Like I said I was only going by JB statement of giving someone a spot if they earn there spot and Most agree Gaudette earned his spot

He did earn a spot but that doesn't mean he'll keep it.

Motte got back and started playing well. Schaller has been playing his best hockey. Sutter handles PK/defensive duties as does Beagle.

Gaudette isn't ready for the role we need him to play and we have players better suited for it hence why he was sent down

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, brownky said:

His number of "pro games in" is significantly lower than others in his age group. He's ready physically for the pro game, but there's still valuable experience to be had down there. Make the mistakes in the Dev league rather than the NHL.

IMO It's the biggest mistake that was made with Virtanen. He was not sent to the AHL to 'learn to be professional' straight away. Once bad habits creep in, they're a 'karma' to get rid of.

Virtanen couldn't go to the AHL and Calgary was a mess at that time. 

• Upvote 1

Team is officially stacked up front with good two-way forwards and skilled guys. Utica's top-6 is essentially most bottom-10 NHL forward lines right now.

This will bode well for the off-season when JB will have LOTS of decisions to make about shaking up and changing our bottom-6 forwards. I think how the forwards grow and develop over the course of the season will really dictate what we have going forward.

Motte, Schaller, Virtanen and Leivo's contracts expire this season and a lot of things could change. So far Schaller and Motte (who's only 24) have been part of arguably the best 4th line in the league. Virtanen has been steadily contributing as a decent 3rd liner but Leivo IMO has been no better than a 3rd liner. With Baertschi, Roussel, Goldobin and Gaudette waiting in the wings I think Leivo will be the odd-man out but still plenty of hockey to play.

Hopefully Gaudette gets a full time NHL roster spot once Sutter's contract expires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

How was Calgary a mess? 

The Canucks weren’t happy with the way the Hitmen were run at that time. They lacked structure to their game that they felt Jake would be better served staying with the team and learning structure. They were a mess because they were all over the place that year. 

26 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Team is officially stacked up front with good two-way forwards and skilled guys. Utica's top-6 is essentially most bottom-10 NHL forward lines right now.

This will bode well for the off-season when JB will have LOTS of decisions to make about shaking up and changing our bottom-6 forwards. I think how the forwards grow and develop over the course of the season will really dictate what we have going forward.

Motte, Schaller, Virtanen and Leivo's contracts expire this season and a lot of things could change. So far Schaller and Motte (who's only 24) have been part of arguably the best 4th line in the league. Virtanen has been steadily contributing as a decent 3rd liner but Leivo IMO has been no better than a 3rd liner. With Baertschi, Roussel, Goldobin and Gaudette waiting in the wings I think Leivo will be the odd-man out but still plenty of hockey to play.

Hopefully Gaudette gets a full time NHL roster spot once Sutter's contract expires.

Is Sutter up this year, or next?