The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Babcock or Green. Who would you rather see coach the Canucks.

Rate this topic

rekker

Who would you like to see coaching the Canucks?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I posted this in another thread but likely more relevant here.

I'm extremely frustrated with Green in relation to team toughness.. and i think if this isn't addressed, either through firing or a stern talking to by the GM, the nucks are destined to fail.

After watching Green behind the bench for 2 full seasons.. I'm of the opinion that Canucks lack of push back and team toughness is 100% Green's coaching style.

Keep in mind, with the exception of some European players, everyone else grew up playing hockey through the ranks in North America. The culture of hockey being a rough game where players engage in retribution, fighting, team strength, eye for an eye is well ingrained in North American hockey. The fighting might be dieing off, but the players don't simply lose the passion for physicality the second they make the NHL. This type of thinking is being coached out of our players. Green using terms like "hockey play" when Petterson is dumped to the ice is an example of whats going on in the room. 

Do i think Green is a bad coach... no... but is he responsible for the lack of pushback and team toughness? 100%. Guys like Horvat are all character guys...the fact that Horvat isn't preaching team toughness to his squad is not because he doesn't believe in it, it's because his coach doesnt believe in it.

That’s just a fans wishfull thinking.   Two games ago Horvat went out and set a record for the ninth most face off won in any game ever played - and he had the third best winning percentage of the top ten guys all-time.   Horvat hasn’t ever demonstrated a tough guy attitude since he joined the league - but he is a leader regardless.   Horvat is his own man.  Don’t expect a coaching change to alter how he plays the game - they install systems for sure but it’s a rare coach that changes a player’s fiber.  JB is ultimately responsible for those things by who he brings in.   WD forcing Tree to watch videos of Pronger ...  well we all know how that went - Horvat doesn’t need videos of Wendel Clark or Shanahan or Howe or whomever.  Won’t change a thing.  He’s tough enough to handle himself but when has he ever acted like Mike Keane?  He’s not soft per say but he’s not old time hockey tough either.   At least so far.  And that’s on him - not Green and it’s OK. 

23 hours ago, coastal.view said:

really? how do you know this

there were many rumours about the babs and dubas relationship

that babs relied far too much on veterans in dubas' eyes

and so dubas emptied the cupboard of veterans that he felt babs was overplaying

particularly marleau in the playoffs last season

Those moves made by Babcock were purely performance-based. 

They did get 100 points last season.

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, goalie13 said:

Have you ever seen a head coach be demoted to assistant coach and a new head coach brought in?

Maybe it has happened, but I can't think of a time.

Had to look it up but it did happen a while back:

"GM Glen Sather named himself head coach and demoted Watson to assistant coach alongside Billy Harris."

Yeah idk if Green would be cool with a demotion, but why not have two good coaches instead of one? It would be like a mentorship until Green learns enough from Mr. B.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Babs didn’t inherited a stack team in Anaheim. They barely made the playoffs that year and was the 7th seed in the West. 

oh really  scott niedermayer , chris pronger  teemu selanne    getzlaf and perry    3 guys already in the hall of fame  no not stacked at all   

23 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Look at the Canucks all time coaching stats. AV, Marc Crawford, and Pat Quinn are the only coaches we've had that achieved a winning record. They also stuck around the longest. Most unsuccessful coaches are 2 and out. I really don't understand why people want to go against the grain and keep giving Green more chances. How long until enough is enough? 2 more seasons, 3??? In the coaching world you either get results or you get fired, there is no 'waitng for someone to develop" behind the bench.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/coaches.html

1. Technically Tort also had winning record with Canucks - 0.506 :)

2. To prove your point you should have a stats for first 2-3 years for AV, Crow and Pat Quinn. And then compare it to Green. 

I don't think Green deserves to get fired so it's a moot point.  

I think you need to see how far the team can go with Green.  

Also, if the Canucks get to the point where the play is poor enough that someone gets fired... is it going to be another coach?  A lot of people feel it's playoffs or bust for Benning.

To play along though, I'd pick Green.  I think Babcock is a great coach but his abrasive style is only worthwhile if it means you're challenging for the Cup.  This current lineup is unlikely to do that.  

I think this potentially up and coming team could use some AV right now.