The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Smart money - leaving Alberta

kingofsurrey

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You know what really sucks for the majority of my voting life this is always been the case provincially and federally pretty sad actually.

Yeah, we don't  grow very good leaders in this country, it would seem  There's been the odd good one, but the general track record is pretty mediocre.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nucklehead said:

yeah, I was puzzled by a population forecast recently that saw so many people moving to Alberta in the next 20 years that their population will surpass BCs. How would that ever happen?

It'll happen because you shouldn't believe all this nonsense on CDC. Alberta has more International Investment here than any other province. Alberta is already over 4 million now so look how fast we've grown just in 30 years.

Smart money?

I suppose it's why most people loose money in the stock market. If stock prices are low, of course you should sell! It's not going anywhere! The world has enough oil already, and we have made the full transition to green energy! Of course, all that oil is used for energy. You don't need it to say make a road, or plastics, or lubricants for your electric car.

So clearly you divest at a moment when the price is low. 'cuz it's going to zero right?

In the bright side, don't have to hear about all the big bucks big oil is making these days!

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Imo the liberal party under JT has moved to far to the left leaving true centre voters wondering who to vote for.

Honestly had Chretien not thrown Martin under the bus we may never have had a conservative government up until even now. All the infighting and the egos in my opinion is what put Harper in power. Many many conservatives we're very happy with a Martin lead government and under Chretien the energy sector was left alone.

Martin really was a PC. He could have probably walked the floor and won under that banner. 

Sad thing is, Harper made his name on attacking Chretien's last two years of (admittedly terrible) governing and Martin paid the price, but even worse it probably hurt AB the most. I think we wouldn't be talking about pipeline battles today, they'd be long built. 

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It'll happen because you shouldn't believe all this nonsense on CDC. Alberta has more International Investment here than any other province. Alberta is already over 4 million now so look how fast we've grown just in 30 years.

not sure thats true anymore. 

Not from Asia: https://www.investmentmonitor.ca/insights-reports/investment-monitor-2019-report-city-level-foreign-direct-investment-between-canada#chapter-5

And Ontario is claiming 1st place in job growth from FDI: https://news.ontario.ca/medg/en/2019/09/ontario-top-destination-in-north-america-for-foreign-direct-investment.html

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Because of my research. You said you heat your home and you drive a vehicle.

LOL.   Wow.  Amazing to think that you feel we need to live in tents in the bush to show we are lowering carbon foot print.

Driving a fuel efficient hybrid is actually a good first step for Canadians want to move to electric vehicles....

Very foolish approach that you have.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Wow... this is news to me.

12 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

That growth in some ways explains the level of spending that has gone on in AB for the past 30 years. At one point Calgary had 50,000 people a year moving there. AB

per capita spending was +$7500/ year. That was a massive infrastructure build out. Lots of examples, like all governments, of money spending excesses. Contrary to the thinking of many Canadians outside of AB when the balance sheet of AB is fully discussed with their citizens the rage against the east will only grow.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

There was nothing to do but laugh. 

"Do as I say not as I do."

Ok, David..

It's still somehow surprising yet not at all surprising that you'd boil down a complex, grey area argument down to cynical, simplistic, obtuse one so you can just ignore it and feel somehow superior in your ignorance. And the worst part is you aren't actually an idiot or blindly ignorant, you're choosing to be ignorant and cynical which is a lot worse. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Halliburton

encana 

Houston Oil & Gas

junior oil and gas

huge reduction of Husky

Those are the major players that have left in the last 6 weeks. 

As for your 2013 comment, I can’t find much about that but I see that in 2017 there was also a mass exodus from the tarsands.

The layoffs and shut downs started in late 2013.  Major producers were already shipping equipment towards the bakkans and in to the Permian after Obama effectively opened the gates to tracking and slant tech  is all I'm saying.

The layoffs really ramped up in 2014 when the supply glut hit and OPEC started pushing back.

The exodus has far more to do with market prices and cost of production than any pipeline issue.

Even with pipeline capacity increase in Canada, our price per barrel will still be well above $21 per barrel give it take vs the bakkans at $10 a barrel and the Permian around $7.

Factor in lower wages, less environmental regulations and of course refining capabilities of heavy dilbit vs light crude and it paints a larger overall picture.

17 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I feel ya. 

0EB64B1D-B8C2-4B46-91C2-E60409F71FE1.jpeg

100% agreed.  

No way I listen to people who've never left a concrete jungle tell me how to manage my backyard

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

LOL.   Wow.  Amazing to think that you feel we need to live in tents in the bush to show we are lowering carbon foot print.

Driving a fuel efficient hybrid is actually a good first step for Canadians want to move to electric vehicles....

Very foolish approach that you have.

The majority of Canadians live in places where electric cars are of no use for 6 months of the year.

As for the rest of what I said, I was making the implication that you’re nothing more than a hypocrite. You can’t criticize the oil and gas industry when you use many of the products that come from there and expect to be taken seriously.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The majority of Canadians live in places where electric cars are of no use for 6 months of the year.

As for the rest of what I said, I was making the implication that you’re nothing more than a hypocrite. You can’t criticize the oil and gas industry when you use many of the products that come from there and expect to be taken seriously.

Lol I'd ask for evidence of this but I know it doesn't exist.

Wanting to make changes to a society while simultaneously living in that society does not make your point about society somehow invalid.

Everyone does hypocritical things every day. So what? 

Edited by inane
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, inane said:

Lol I'd ask for evidence of this but I know it doesn't exist.

Wanting to make changes to a society while simultaneously living in that society does not make your point about society somehow invalid.

Everyone does hypocritical things every day. So what? 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/drive/culture/article-the-trouble-with-electric-vehicles-winter/

And we all know the west coast is the only place that doesn’t experience a Canadian winter.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37

17 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/drive/culture/article-the-trouble-with-electric-vehicles-winter/

And we all know the west coast is the only place that doesn’t experience a Canadian winter.

Get a level 2 ( EV ) charger. Problem solved.   Or if you are that worried get a hybrid.

Edited by kingofsurrey