The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Markus Granlund, Brandon Manning, Eric Comrie, Andy Andreoff

There are former Canucks that I enjoy to see experience some adversity after leaving the organization *cough* Brandon Prust *cough*, but Granlund isn't one of them. Granlund has been a solid player during the worst times of the rebuild. He did his job, never complained nor did he bad-mouthed the organization after he left. Wish Granlund nothing but the best.

• Upvote 1

Markus never quite recovered from the wrist surgery he had after his 19 goal season, imo. He lost that nice sneaky wrister and that was his only offence weapon really. He's a good defensive player and doesn't deserve to be shart on. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Markus never quite recovered from the wrist surgery he had after his 19 goal season, imo. He lost that nice sneaky wrister and that was his only offence weapon really. He's a good defensive player and doesn't deserve to be shart on. 

He got those 19 goals while playing with an injured wrist - it was nearly a season long injury.  They shut him down once the playoffs were out of reach so he could have time to recover for the start of the following season.  Green didn't see him as a top-6 player so put him in the bottom-6 which was not the role he had when he scored those 19 goals.

1 minute ago, mll said:

He got those 19 goals while playing with an injured wrist - it was nearly a season long injury.  They shut him down once the playoffs were out of reach so he could have time to recover for the start of the following season.  Green didn't see him as a top-6 player so put him in the bottom-6 which was not the role he had when he scored those 19 goals.

he had surgery on it after tho, he was playing with pain all season. He never had the same shot after that season. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he had surgery on it after tho, he was playing with pain all season. He never had the same shot after that season. 

I think it's the change in role that affected him the most - he had to re-adjust his expectations. Granlund was hoping to be a top-6 player and in camp Green has him in the bottom-6.  Green admitted that Granlund was surprised and addressed it with him.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

I think it's the change in role that affected him the most - he had to re-adjust his expectations. Granlund was hoping to be a top-6 player and in camp Green has him in the bottom-6.  Green admitted that Granlund was surprised and addressed it with him.  

kudos to Loui then for making the transformation in a similar situation. I always liked Granny, seemed to me like a good team guy. 

• Upvote 2

Granlund is gone for almost entirely CAP reasons.  Oilers probably can save some money.

Who did the Canucks replace Granlund with?

Tim Schaller.

Schaller is being paid 3.8 million a year.

Schaller has 4 goals and zero assists this year and is a -8.

He has a career 28 goals and 27 assists over 261 NHL games.

Granlund is being paid 1.3 million per year.

He has 3 goals and 1 assist and is a -1.

He has a career 58 goals and 43 assists over 332 NHL games.

Both are 4th liners and both played the PK in the last few years.

Granlund is capable of moving up to the top six if called upon... Schaller is not.

Schaller is heavier and likes to hit... Granlund is not as physical.  Schaller will sometimes fight.

Both are good PK'ers, Granlund has a edge as a threat to score shorthanded.

Who is more valuable?

I think it is a case of Coach's preference. 

Green likes all grinders on his 4th line.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

17 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Granlund is gone for almost entirely CAP reasons.  Oilers probably can save some money.

Tim Schaller.

Granlund is capable of moving up to the top six if called upon... Schaller is not.

Schaller is heavier and likes to hit... Granlund is not as physical.  Schaller will sometimes fight.

Who is more valuable?

Granlund is on waivers for a reason. It’s because he’s not as serviceable a player as he used to be, not because of cap reasons. If Edmonton puts a player on waivers, that’s never a positive on a player’s performance. 

sure Schaller is slightly overpaid, but he’s established a solid chemistry with Motte and Beagle. And he’s a physical player who doesn’t really have issue defending his teammates. 

18 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tim Schaller.

Who is more valuable?

Shaller is paid 1.9 million per year and is on an expiring contract, he's a UFA after this season and although I think he does a decent job on the 4th line, he won't be back. We now have other, cheaper options in our prospect pool, who can do the same job.

If should also be noted, Shaller was not signed to score goals, he was signed to prevent them, which he does better than Granlund does. For Granlund to be effective, in my opinion, he needs to play middle 6 minutes and role. Shaller was brought in specifically to play bottom 6 role and add experience.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Tim Schaller.

Who is more valuable?

Schaller makes a shade under 2m not 3.8. Granny's contract is 1.3m. You're splitting hairs here. 

Schaller's been a valuable part of our PK and fits in well with Beagle and Motte. We've got younger players like Virtanen and Gaudette who can jump up into our top six if need arises, we didn't really have much of that when Granny was around. We've also got Lind, MacEwan, Goldy and Baer in Utica if needed. We've also got Leivo and Graovac who've been healthy most of the season albeit their being hurt now. 

Edited by Coconuts

Granlund was part of the process Van had to go thru as they developed their roster towards a CUP. Benning picked him up and he played a number of solid games for the club. Eventually he was replaced but no one should be sad about the experience. Hope he finds a spot. 

On 1/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Shaller is paid 1.9 million per year and is on an expiring contract, he's a UFA after this season and although I think he does a decent job on the 4th line, he won't be back. We now have other, cheaper options in our prospect pool, who can do the same job.

If should also be noted, Shaller was not signed to score goals, he was signed to prevent them, which he does better than Granlund does. For Granlund to be effective, in my opinion, he needs to play middle 6 minutes and role. Shaller was brought in specifically to play bottom 6 role and add experience.

You're right on the total... I was looking at the full two year amount.

• Upvote 1