The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

U.S. air strike kills top Iranian military general and Iraqi commander at Baghdad’s international airport

nuckin_futz

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think someone else already mentioned this but Tehran is very smart in not vilifying the entirety of the US (most of whom didn't support the strike, outside of Trump nuthuggers), and instead seeing the situation for what it is. An unhinged, narcissistic moron of a president making uninformed and short-sighted decisions purely to serve his own interests.  

At least Trump will give you something to rant about until 2024. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Should've done what you guys (eg. CIA) did in 1953 Iran.  Take out the democratically elected government in Iran and install a stooge who'll 'follow orders' (probably a good reason the Iranians don't think much of you guys today...).  Not saying remotely it was the right thing to do but if "in for a penny in for a pound". 

That's exactly what the US did and the entire Iranian population rebelled against the US in 1979.  Jimmy Carter mishandled Iran before, during, and after the US embassy hostage situation began and was one of the main reasons Iranians stormed the embassy.  He pretty much kept saying stupid things that enraged Iran's conservative young people.

Believe it or not, it was Canada's diplomatic attache in cooperation with the CIA that rescued a handful of the initial US hostages from Iran.  The main body of hostages were finally released after Algeria helped the US negotiate with Iran.  Iran purposely waited until Reagan was sworn in to release them.  They had nothing but disdain for Jimmy Carter.

Ever since then, Iran has been an aggressive theocracy headed up by the Ayatollah.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's exactly what the US did and the entire Iranian population rebelled against the US in 1979.  Jimmy Carter mishandled Iran before, during, and after the US embassy hostage situation began and was one of the main reasons Iranians stormed the embassy.  He pretty much kept saying stupid things that enraged Iran's conservative young people.

Believe it or not, it was Canada's diplomatic attache in cooperation with the CIA that rescued a handful of the initial US hostages from Iran.  The main body of hostages were finally released after Algeria helped the US negotiate with Iran.  Iran purposely waited until Reagan was sworn in to release them.  They had nothing but disdain for Jimmy Carter.

Ever since then, Iran has been an aggressive theocracy headed up by the Ayatollah.

Most Canadians of a certain age know who Ken Taylor is.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I was looking over Iran’s armament and what a mish mash of equipment they have.

Homemade, Chinese, Soviet, American, French, West German, Brazilian, Ukrainian etc.

Its like a garage sale of military equipment, lot of it just old and useless.

The only way they would be able to overcome the armament gap, is by using people as cannon fodder.

Mobilize millions of Basij members and attack, it would be a massacre.

Hopefully cooler heads prevail and orange man child gets some sense into his noggin.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That’s not I learned from the Hollywood film Argo by BatFleck.

:P

I didn't watch Fargo, but Canada went in with the CIA and helped get a handful of hostages released.  If I remember the details correctly, they issued Canadian credentials to some of the hostages so Iran would release them since Iran didn't have anything against Canada or Canadians.

It was brilliant in it's simplicity and relative effectiveness.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I didn't watch Fargo, but Canada went in with the CIA and helped get a handful of hostages released.  If I remember the details correctly, they issued Canadian credentials to some of the hostages so Iran would release them since Iran didn't have anything against Canada or Canadians.

It was not easy getting those people out of Minnesota.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Yeah, they pretty much axed all of the Canadian involvement from Argo. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, they pretty much axed all of the Canadian involvement from Argo. 

That's a shame.  I understand when you say a story is based on reality like most Hollywood movies say so they can add in or take out stuff, but when you delete, or worse yet, change a fundamental part of that story, you are doing a disservice to the people involved.

Edited by SabreFan1
reworded to make my point clearer

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's a shame.  I understand when you "base" a story on reality, but when you delete, or worse yet, change a fundamental part of that story, you are doing a disservice to the people involved.

It's "Hollywood".

Here's another "Hollywoodized film":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-571_(film)

• Upvote 2

To be fair though, you have to look at their target audience.  Of COURSE they're going to alter some facts (sometimes obliterate all the facts lol) to make the movie more "palatable' to this target audience.

Still, you get movies or TV shows that attempt to go 'outside the box'.  Look at the following old TV series "The Man from UNCLE".  At pretty much the height of the cold war, you've got the two main leads - one American agent & one Soviet agent protecting the world from "evil":

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Still, you get movies or TV shows that attempt to go 'outside the box'.  Look at the following old TV series "The Man from UNCLE".  At pretty much the height of the cold war, you've got the two main leads - one American agent & one Soviet agent protecting the world from "evil":

That series and it's spin-off were before my time.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

That series and it's spin-off were before my time.

Yeah a few years before my time as well just am amazed how such a series can be successful given the political environment at the time.  Granted, it was (from what I gather) more 'camp' than 'serious'.  

• Upvote 1

Iran lawmakers reportedly approve bill designating Pentagon as terror group

Tue 7 Jan 2020 07:18:14 GMT

ICANA, Iran parliament's official news service, reports

It says that under the legislation, "all members of the Pentagon and related companies, as well as actors and commanders involved in the martyrdom of Qassem Soleimani, are designated in the list of terror groups".

The bill is drafted as a form of retaliation against the recent US attack that killed Soleimani and was passed by a vote of 228-0, with two abstentions.

Iran is said to be assessing 13 retaliation 'scenarios' against the US

Tue 7 Jan 2020 07:30:35 GMT

Fars News Agency reports

The headline is crossing the wires now with Iran being cited as saying that the weakest retaliation scenario itself will cause a "historic nightmare".

More details on Iran's reported retaliation 'scenarios' against the US

Tue 7 Jan 2020 08:05:02 GMT

Iran says that the "revenge operation" will not just be one single operation

Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary, Ali Shamkhani, says that "a total of 19 bases, including 11 head bases, the closest to the eastern and western borders of Iran, and along with 8 US bases in the north and south of Iran, are on high alert".

Adding that "we are aware of their military personnel and equipment and we are tracking their smallest developments".

This is basically an outright threat towards the US and it will be interesting to see how Trump responds to this - whether verbally or actual military action.

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/more-details-on-irans-reported-retaliation-scenarios-against-the-us-20200107

Edited by nuckin_futz