Sign in to follow this  
Nuxfanabroad

VAN & OTT Beautiful Solution(Proposal)

Recommended Posts

Sounds brilliant to me. 

I am a bit worried about that year cause what if a team offer sheets Petey seeing that we are in a cap crunch? And (assuming we make trades and match it), it would probably end up being more than what the Canucks and him would have agreed on

  • Burr 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Sounds brilliant to me. 

I am a bit worried about that year cause what if a team offer sheets Petey seeing that we are in a cap crunch? And (assuming we make trades and match it), it would probably end up being more than what the Canucks and him would have agreed on

That would have to be the highest level of offer sheet. Only so many teams have the required picks and cap room to make such an offer sheet without the picks being a chance at a very high draft position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That would have to be the highest level of offer sheet. Only so many teams have the required picks and cap room to make such an offer sheet without the picks being a chance at a very high draft position.

Well you never know what the standings/rosters will look like then. And most teams do have the required picks since they are spread out. Also.. the compensation will likely be close to $11M+ for max (4 draft picks). So my concern is a team offers him $10.99 (2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd) which causes us headaches since lets say since we are trying to sign him at 10.5

I don't want to get into the numbers too much but that was the original thought behind my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well you never know what the standings/rosters will look like then. And most teams do have the required picks since they are spread out. Also.. the compensation will likely be close to $11M+ for max (4 draft picks). So my concern is a team offers him $10.99 (2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd) which causes us headaches since lets say since we are trying to sign him at 10.5

I don't want to get into the numbers too much but that was the original thought behind my post.

I guess now that I write it out it, I'm essentially worried about having to trade an AHLer and fork up an extra $500k in salary.. so maybe nvm :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a decent idea but if you were the GM could you go to Aqua and ask for that big cheque?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what Loui will cost us (cap hit) if he retires after his bonus this summer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Anyone know what Loui will cost us (cap hit) if he retires after his bonus this summer?

I believe if he retires all monies owed and the corresponding cap hit for the remainder of the contract fall off the books immediately.

 

When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator

 

If a player retires, any remaining signing bonus(es) is/are no longer payable, although if the contract took effect after the player turned 35 the full cap hit of the contract will still be charged to the team.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's Colin White's situation?  Is he going to become a dud which will haunt us for years?

 

If he's going to hinder us I'd rather see if we could find a buyer for Sven (I still believe someone could take him on) and wait for Loui to retire than take on another dead weight contract.  Also could someone do the math of what's going in and coming out of the books?  Not sure what we're looking at with bonuses and whatnot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I believe if he retires all monies owed and the corresponding cap hit for the remainder of the contract fall off the books immediately.

 

When a player retires, the team has the option to pursue the return of a portion of the signing bonus equal to the unplayed portions of the contract, and that money is no longer counted against the salary cap. This is typically done through an arbitrator

 

If a player retires, any remaining signing bonus(es) is/are no longer payable, although if the contract took effect after the player turned 35 the full cap hit of the contract will still be charged to the team.

 

 

That would be the ultimate dream. Hopefully he can just end his career on a high note (Continue his modest success this season) Get his bonus and hang em up. I mean If he has any pride I think that would be the best scenario. If he’s lost a couple steps now, what would the next 2 season looks like for him. Press box, minors? Go out head high Loui 

 

Gotta hope that’s the plan 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta think Ottawa still believes in the kid. It’s relatively normal for a young player to have some growing pains. I thought it was a pretty risky move for Ottawa to sign him like that at the time but it’s reasonable to believe that it could still work out and that cap hit would look pretty good for them down the road..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

What's Colin White's situation?  Is he going to become a dud which will haunt us for years?

 

If he's going to hinder us I'd rather see if we could find a buyer for Sven (I still believe someone could take him on) and wait for Loui to retire than take on another dead weight contract.  Also could someone do the math of what's going in and coming out of the books?  Not sure what we're looking at with bonuses and whatnot.

From a cap hit perspective we would be ridding ourselves of $8.9M next year and $6M the following year. In return we would be taking on a cap hit of $4.75M for five years. However, if we bought out White in the summer of 2020 we would only have a cap hit of $800K through the 2029/30 season. The 2020/21 season cap hit would be $1.6M.

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/colin-white/2020-07-15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Gotta think Ottawa still believes in the kid. It’s relatively normal for a young player to have some growing pains. I thought it was a pretty risky move for Ottawa to sign him like that at the time but it’s reasonable to believe that it could still work out and that cap hit would look pretty good for them down the road..

I agree that it is too early to write off a talent like this and that is what makes this proposal such a good deal from a Canucks' perspective, other than the obvious cap savings.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A little research on HFOttawa page has revealed a GEM/diamond plan to dance around our coming cap-conundrum. They have a player who was so promising, they signed for big $$$, & now he has spiraled. Because he's so young, his buyout-hit is a sweet song.

 

Colin White. Signed 4.75 AAV(back loaded) for 5 more seasons. That's 20+ mill that EMelnyk would looove to dump.

Due to his youth, you can stretch his buyout over EIGHT(or nine?) yrs for a meagre 817 k cap hit

 

Van: LouiE AND Baertschi(pay Loui's bonus, he's only 5,000,000 owed/2 seasons, for a 6 mill AAV - Melnyk Special!)

 

OTT: White, I'd argue we should get a cond 2021 2nd/3rd, for taking on an EXTRA(approx) 15,000,000 $ real $ commitment!

 

Important point: You can ride this cheap buyout option for TWO more seasons(only 817 k), then it goes up to about 1.8 mill.

 

If we bought him out after next season, you immediately open up 5 mill for the important 2021-22 season, where EP & QH need new deals.

 

White: 2018-19 - 71 gp..41 pts(impressive, got a 6 yr doozy deal)

2019-20: 43 gp ..only 14 lousy pts! (rumour is he's struggling with similar injury to BSutter, groin/hernia)

 

*********************************************

 

Lastly, OTT has a slew of young C's, so they can easily fill this bloke's spot. Also prob two top-10 picks this 2020(fwd heavy) draft. Bet they'd JUMP to move this deal.

Give Melnyk a call Nux and get this deal done! Offer up a case of Sake if he needs a sweetner.......

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

From a cap hit perspective we would be ridding ourselves of $8.9M next year and $6M the following year. In return we would be taking on a cap hit of $4.75M for five years. However, if we bought out White in the summer of 2020 we would only have a cap hit of $800K through the 2029/30 season. The 2020/21 season cap hit would be $1.6M.

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/colin-white/2020-07-15

Almost seems like a no-lose situation.  Wonder if we could acquire him early enough and see if we could create some value for him, that maybe just maybe if we threw a pick and him at Seattle they would take him instead of Demko, since from his draft and HF comments he was touted as something of a mix of Dave Bolland and Patrice Bergeron, plus he's still young and a former 1st round pick.

 

Just hope that he doesn't get injured if we acquired him, since wouldn't we be kept from buying out players if they're on LTIR?  (Thinking back to when the Leafs and Jackets swapped Horton and Clarkson, they did it to lose that dead cap space for the injured player, correct?); we would need to hope that he's not actually injury-prone.

Edited by Phil_314

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Anyone know what Loui will cost us (cap hit) if he retires after his bonus this summer?

I kind of expect to hear this happen July 2 2020.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I agree that it is too early to write off a talent like this and that is what makes this proposal such a good deal from a Canucks' perspective, other than the obvious cap savings.

And thats what makes it a no go from Ottawa’s side 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Almost seems like a no-lose situation.  Wonder if we could acquire him early enough and see if we could create some value for him, that maybe just maybe if we threw a pick and him at Seattle they would take him instead of Demko, since from his draft and HF comments he was touted as something of a mix of Dave Bolland and Patrice Bergeron.

 

Just hope that he doesn't get injured if we acquired him, since wouldn't we be kept from buying out players if they're on LTIR?  (Thinking back to when the Leafs and Jackets swapped Horton and Clarkson, they did it to lose that dead cap space for the injured player, correct?); we would need to hope that he's not actually injury-prone.

I think you are correct that players on LTIR cannot be bought out. The teams does get cap hit relief though for players on LTIR.

 

If I remember the Clarkson/Horton trade correctly, I believe the Leafs wanted to get out of the terrible Clarkson contract and Columbus was paying Horton big bucks while he would never play again (salary not insured). Toronto did not mind taking Horton on, placing him on LTIR, and quite happily paid him as they were/are such a rich team. The trade was actually good for both teams as the Leafs were able to free up the cap space that Clarkson occupied and the Jackets got a serviceable player for about the same money they were paying to Horton on LTIR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Give Melnyk a call Nux and get this deal done! Offer up a case of Sake if he needs a sweetner.......

Just got back from a 2 hr run, RB(we a runnin' joke here?!)..seems every time I read your reply, just returning from LSD(long, slow distance) where I was goin in circles!

 

Yeah, I'd really like to see a deal like this to clean up the books. Sake has been known to expedite dirty biz...

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

And thats what makes it a no go from Ottawa’s side 

You shouldn't speak in absolutes(about trade spec), as frequently as you do. There are many variables involved, & you can't claim to know what Melnyk is thinkin' - even if you're his own brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.