The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make Canada What again?

Warhippy

1 hour ago, BPA said:

That's why I said some and not all.  It just irked me that someone so young was audacious enough to plainly say she just wanted free money.  I've been working since I was 14yrs old.  Held onto 2 jobs for a couple of years (even 3 jobs one summer) until I got a good paying job.  Never collected EI or UI (whatever its called nowadays).  Hard work is what my father instilled into me.  Something I intend to pass onto my children.  Work hard and get a good job. 

Do you spend as much time worrying about hyper-driven executives, scientists etc working 100+ hours a week and the effects that must have on their relationships, families etc? Or that their hyper driven personality type could lead to negative societal costs (greed, power, megalomania etc)?

There are a great many more of us in the middle of either extremes on that spectrum that we should focus on and concern ourselves with IMO.

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

Funny, people blaming the youth for their attitude, to afraid to look in the mirror and hold themselves responsible for doing a crappy job of parenting.

And, it isn't something new.  Older pople have been wagging their fingers at the new generations going way back.

BBC article link

Older people love to gripe about the entitled, lazy millennial generation. But it's nothing new – by delving into the archives, we found plenty of parallels stretching back 2,000 years.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And, it isn't something new.  Older pople have been wagging their fingers at the new generations going way back.

BBC article link

Older people love to gripe about the entitled, lazy millennial generation. But it's nothing new – by delving into the archives, we found plenty of parallels stretching back 2,000 years.

It's funny....as one of the "older" people, I see it as the opposite. I think young adults have it more difficult.

When I left high school in '79, there were plenty of jobs available for people who hadn't gone to college. If you worked a Blue collar job, or is certain sales fields, you could earn enough to buy a home and raise a family.

Now I have three daughters, all in their 20s, who have zero chance of achieving that goal, unless they go back to school. And even if they do that, there seems to be a lot more competition for those jobs....

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's funny....as one of the "older" people, I see it as the opposite. I think young adults have it more difficult.

When I left high school in '79, there were plenty of jobs available for people who hadn't gone to college. If you worked a Blue collar job, or is certain sales fields, you could earn enough to buy a home and raise a family.

Now I have three daughters, all in their 20s, who have zero chance of achieving that goal, unless they go back to school. And even if they do that, there seems to be a lot more competition for those jobs....

Yup.  Too bad that there isn't enough "older" people with your sensibilities.   Not too many families can afford the stay at home mom.  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm in that boat. I'm 23 and been working since highschool for the most part. Im rly debating going back to school. But I'd have to work to live & how do I do both? My parents don't have money to pay my way. So live at home till late 20s and go into debt. Or school part time & live with parents till your 30? Depending on what you take? Which is a whole other thing.

Getting a degree (or more) increases your chances of making more money in the long run. School just seems so inefficient here. I've been thinking of looking into going to University in Europe or Scandinavia maybe, apparently some countries offer it cheaper to international students. And get life experience traveling.

Such tough decisions to figure out. I'm confident in my ability to work & make money for myself, but it would be nice to try & shoot a little higher. It does feel very overwhelming. 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm in that boat. I'm 23 and been working since highschool for the most part. Im rly debating going back to school. But I'd have to work to live & how do I do both? My parents don't have money to pay my way. So live at home till late 20s and go into debt. Or school part time & live with parents till your 30? Depending on what you take? Which is a whole other thing.

Getting a degree (or more) increases your chances of making more money in the long run. School just seems so inefficient here. I've been thinking of looking into going to University in Europe or Scandinavia maybe, apparently some countries offer it cheaper to international students. And get life experience traveling.

Such tough decisions to figure out. I'm confident in my ability to work & make money for myself, but it would be nice to try & shoot a little higher. It does feel very overwhelming. 

One of my girls has moved back in with us. We've spent several thousand dollars (and several hundred hours) fixing up the basement for her. It sounds like a pretty big burden, but the way we look at it, it upgrades the value of our house and when we truly do become empty nesters, we'll be able to ask a higher price when we sell.

She works at the local SPCA, so there's pretty much no way she could be on her own. At some point, we'd like to see her go back to school (we both work at a College, so we could help with that) but there's no point in pushing her until she's ready.

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One of my girls has moved back in with us. We've spent several thousand dollars (and several hundred hours) fixing up the basement for her. It sounds like a pretty big burden, but the way we look at it, it upgrades the value of our house and when we truly do become empty nesters, we'll be able to ask a higher price when we sell.

She works at the local SPCA, so there's pretty much no way she could be on her own. At some point, we'd like to see her go back to school (we both work at a College, so we could help with that) but there's no point in pushing her until she's ready.

My son is moving back in with me this weekend. He goes to school in the fall. I purchased a style of home (double master bedroom) that would accomodate a move back in for either of my kids. Feels good to help him out.

Only problem is he is bringing the girlfriend with him. :lol: 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

My son is moving back in with me this weekend. He goes to school in the fall. I purchased a style of home (double master bedroom) that would accomodate a move back in for either of my kids. Feels good to help him out.

Might want to do some soundproofing....B)

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Remember to always knock on the door and clear throat loudly to announce your presence. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Big challenge I think for a lot of young people is figuring out what you'd actually want to do for work, that actually has a job market for it both now, and in a future that is rapidly becoming less and less clear thanks to automation, AI, globalization, polarized politics, and massive debt/fiscal/economic questions. Hell, 'jobs' as we've traditionally known them, may not even particularly exist in 20+ years. And we're massively unprepared for THAT transition as well.

THEN you have to figure out how/where to get the best education/training for whatever that is and figure out how to pay for it all. All after being told their entire, young lives how amazing they are and how they could do 'anything' they can dream of, and raised in a 2 minute attention span society that expects them to stay focused and on task.

I don't envy young people these days. We've gone decades now with poor long term planning and performing idiotic social experiments on our poor, unwitting offspring and are going to pay the price for it barring some miraculous discoveries and innovation, likely by your generation.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I feel you man. I'm balancing a full time job in Burnaby while attending BCIT at night, usually only one or two nights a week because of time constraints. Incredibly inefficient, but at least once I get my certificate I can get a good enough job to alleviate some of the financial pressure, and ideally work toward a degree later (not in BC — Hightailing it to Ontario later in the year). But it's painful as hell trying to do this as a 28 year old under the circumstances aGent mentions below.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Big challenge I think for a lot of young people is figuring out what you'd actually want to do for work, that actually has a job market for it both now, and in a future that is rapidly becoming less and less clear thanks to automation, AI, globalization, polarized politics, and massive debt/fiscal/economic questions. Hell, 'jobs' as we've traditionally known them, may not even particularly exist in 20+ years. And we're massively unprepared for THAT transition as well.

THEN you have to figure out how/where to get the best education/training for whatever that is and figure out how to pay for it all. All after being told their entire, young lives how amazing they are and how they could do 'anything' they can dream of, and raised in a 2 minute attention span society that expects them to stay focused and on task.

I don't envy young people these days. We've gone decades now with poor long term planning and performing idiotic social experiments on our poor, unwitting offspring and are going to pay the price for it barring some miraculous discoveries and innovation, likely by your generation.

The anxiety of trying to pick something ala your first line is real. I'm getting into building design and architectural drafting because, well, it isn't like people are going to stop building stuff. Luckily I enjoy it and have always been at least peripherally interested in architecture and engineering; however, I suck at drawing (smudges, smudges everywhere!) so the manual drafting courses suck and take forever. But it's a career I can continue building on in a pretty clear line and have an adaptable plan. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll manage to be an engineer. :unsure:

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Gäz said:

The anxiety of trying to pick something ala your first line is real. I'm getting into building design and architectural drafting because, well, it isn't like people are going to stop building stuff. Luckily I enjoy it and have always been at least peripherally interested in architecture and engineering; however, I suck at drawing (smudges, smudges everywhere!) so the manual drafting courses suck and take forever. But it's a career I can continue building on in a pretty clear line and have an adaptable plan. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll manage to be an engineer. :unsure:

Well at least you have the bolded going for you. I wonder what percentage of +/-20 year olds have any sort of clue what they'd actually like to do do/have an aptitude for, before loading up with tens of thousands of dollars in school debts... Our education system does an awful job of helping kids with this IMO.

Design is also applicable to a LOT of industries beyond just architecture and at least stands some chance of fending off automation/AI...at least for a while. 

Edited by aGENT

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well at least you have the bolded going for you. I wonder what percentage of +/-20 year olds have any sort of clue what they'd actually like to do do/have an aptitude for, before loading up with tens of thousands of dollars in school debts... Our education system does an awful job of helping kids with this IMO.

Design is also applicable to a LOT of industries beyond just architecture and at least stands some chance of fending off automation/AI...at least for a while. 

Yup, I still feel I've fared better than a good chunk of people my age (many of my friends still have virtually no direction). The education system definitely doesn't help; the highschool I went to really only helped those who already knew what they wanted to do (basically, the kids already cleaning house on scholarships and extra funding — which is fair enough in itself, but the school was very "top heavy" academically because of it). I think they did a university/college info fair type thing one year, but that was it.

Yeah, there's plenty of ways in which I can branch out once I sort of get my foot in the door. Structural, mechanical, electrical, or general product design... These jobs are everywhere.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Yup, I still feel I've fared better than a good chunk of people my age (many of my friends still have virtually no direction). The education system definitely doesn't help; the highschool I went to really only helped those who already knew what they wanted to do (basically, the kids already cleaning house on scholarships and extra funding — which is fair enough in itself, but the school was very "top heavy" academically because of it). I think they did a university/college info fair type thing one year, but that was it.

This annoys me to no end. It hasn't seemed to improve since I graduated in freaking 1995! And yes, the students most inclined to help themselves, will do well as always, but your average teenager is not remotely focused or at all inclined or able to think long term. I was 16-18 once...you're a freaking clueless MORON at that age (and I was one of the more focused ones! :lol:). These kids need direction and a helping hand to help discover their aptitudes and strengths and what they might be suited for. Especially in this day an age where jobs will become ever more specialized and less 'general knowledge'. The Scandinavian countries do a FAR better job of this by focusing kids education towards their interests, strengths and aptitudes as early teenagers. And for jobs that the country actually has a need for!

While education falls under Provincial domain, this is also why I feel we REALLY need a federal education ministry. There should be some sort of oversight ensuring we're actually educating and training people to do jobs the country actually needs to fill that will have real pay cheques out there for these kids. And an end to the 'you need a university degree' (and accompanying debt) thinking as well. Some people aren't meant to be university students AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This annoys me to no end. It hasn't seemed to improve since I graduated in freaking 1995! And yes, the students most inclined to help themselves, will do well as always, but your average teenager is not remotely focused or at all inclined or able to think long term. I was 16-18 once...you're a freaking clueless MORON at that age (and I was one of the more focused ones! :lol:). These kids need direction and a helping hand to help discover their aptitudes and strengths and what they might be suited for. Especially in this day an age where jobs will become ever more specialized and less 'general knowledge'. The Scandinavian countries do a FAR better job of this by focusing kids education towards their interests, strengths and aptitudes as early teenagers. And for jobs that the country actually has a need for!

While education falls under Provincial domain, this is also why I feel we REALLY need a federal education ministry. There should be some sort of oversight ensuring we're actually educating and training people to do jobs the country actually needs to fill that will have real pay cheques out there for these kids. And an end to the 'you need a university degree' (and accompanying debt) thinking as well. Some people aren't meant to be university students AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

Agreed, 100%. Our country needs to pour way more effort into education.

2 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Agreed, 100%. Our country needs to pour way more effort into education.

And we're still one of the better ones at it :lol: Imagine how bad some of the rest of the world is at education! :shock:

(I'm looking at you USA :ph34r: )

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1