Sign in to follow this  
VegasCanuck

KHL Cancels remainder of Playoffs

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Sadly I think this is the route the NHL will go in the next couple weeks, things are still getting worse and it’s gonna be a while till holding games will be safe.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Sadly I think this is the route the NHL will go in the next couple weeks, things are still getting worse and it’s gonna be a while till holding games will be safe.

I think the NHL will find a way to complete the season. Much deeper pockets, and resources. I wouldn't be surprised if the cup is awarded in September and we have 2 weeks downtime to hit reset for teams, followed by a training camp that has 2 or 3 exhibition games for teams and then straight into the season.

 

This is complete speculation, its changing by the minute, but my gut tells me, they will find a way to award the cup and not miss a year.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The KHL cancelling is a strong indication of the direction things are headed. No Olympics helps the NHL. However, the horrific response and exponential growth in the US does not help. I think the season and playoffs will be cancelled. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoepfully not the case, but we may be lucky to see a NFL season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

The KHL cancelling is a strong indication of the direction things are headed. No Olympics helps the NHL. However, the horrific response and exponential growth in the US does not help. I think the season and playoffs will be cancelled. 

I think, even if they play them without people in the stands, I think they will do it for the TV revenue. People are bored. If they can keep players in quarantine, it could work.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the NHL will find a way to complete the season. Much deeper pockets, and resources. I wouldn't be surprised if the cup is awarded in September and we have 2 weeks downtime to hit reset for teams, followed by a training camp that has 2 or 3 exhibition games for teams and then straight into the season.

 

This is complete speculation, its changing by the minute, but my gut tells me, they will find a way to award the cup and not miss a year.

I truly hope you’re right but we haven’t hit the top of the curve yet, the longer the players are off the worse shape they’ll be in, they can’t just jump in and start playing once the go ahead is given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fully expecting the NHL to throw in the towel to, particularly as things get worse in the US. I figure it's only a matter of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Fully expecting the NHL to throw in the towel to, particularly as things get worse in the US. I figure it's only a matter of time. 

Things are absolutely going to get worse. We'll see what happens, if they can find a way to conduct games 30 or 60 days from now, in safe arenas, I think they will do it, even if it means altering next season to accommodate. Even if they can't put people in the buildings, they can still get a lot of viewership on TV.

 

Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one seems to want to answer my question.....

 

Which is, how do the UFA's play past the end of their contract, and why would they want to risk injury with a 2 or 3  month contract extension?

 

So some one gets injured ….say July 15th, in the middle of the play offs, he is coming off a career year, and is playing with a 3.5 million per year

 

he has scored 50 points the last 2 years...………...now he goes out and plays in the playoffs and get injured...…….

 

Nest year, he was looking at a 6+ million dollar, 6 year term...…………….how does he prove that, and who pays for it for how long?

 

Does anyone care to answer that concern....plz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No one seems to want to answer my question.....

 

Which is, how do the UFA's play past the end of their contract, and why would they want to risk injury with a 2 or 3  month contract extension?

 

So some one gets injured ….say July 15th, in the middle of the play offs, he is coming off a career year, and is playing with a 3.5 million per year

 

he has scored 50 points the last 2 years...………...now he goes out and plays in the playoffs and get injured...…….

 

Nest year, he was looking at a 6+ million dollar, 6 year term...…………….how does he prove that, and who pays for it for how long?

 

Does anyone care to answer that concern....plz

these are the big issues, I am sure the NHL doesn't even have an answer.  I am here in Tokyo and been following all the issues  following the cancellations of the Olympics.  67% of the public here wanted an postponement.  But the issues they now have to deal with are in the 1000s have some have said .  You are watching and you are like oh wow they got that problem, how do they sort that out.  It is very very complex and as you have pointed out the NHL has some big time problems to sort out if they want to have a season.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

The KHL cancelling is a strong indication of the direction things are headed. No Olympics helps the NHL. However, the horrific response and exponential growth in the US does not help. I think the season and playoffs will be cancelled. 

The leagues aren’t comparable KHL makes around 50 Million NHL makes around 5 Billion NBA makes around 8 Billion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

No one seems to want to answer my question.....

 

Which is, how do the UFA's play past the end of their contract, and why would they want to risk injury with a 2 or 3  month contract extension?

 

So some one gets injured ….say July 15th, in the middle of the play offs, he is coming off a career year, and is playing with a 3.5 million per year

 

he has scored 50 points the last 2 years...………...now he goes out and plays in the playoffs and get injured...…….

 

Nest year, he was looking at a 6+ million dollar, 6 year term...…………….how does he prove that, and who pays for it for how long?

 

Does anyone care to answer that concern....plz

I think the KHL took it as far as they could go.. and their season would have ended April 1st.

 

i beleive the NHL will follow suit , it is a wiser thing to do for most of the points you have listed Jan.

 

Im sure we will soon read of NHL / NHLPA meetings to fairly sort pay out on contracts remaining, whether expiring or in term.

Fighting all of this will prove to be neglected and disastrous.

 

As a fan, I want to see a fresh (20-21) season unaffected..  rather than one that would be affected by this epidemic.

 

nobody moves,  nobody gets hurt.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Expect a tidal wave of Tram is coming threads....

 

5FD0B616-1AF3-4977-94DA-E530724878C3.jpeg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think the KHL took it as far as they could go.. and their season would have ended April 1st.

 

i beleive the NHL will follow suit , it is a wiser thing to do for most of the points you have listed Jan.

 

Im sure we will soon read of NHL / NHLPA meetings to fairly sort pay out on contracts remaining, whether expiring or in term.

Fighting all of this will prove to be neglected and disastrous.

 

As a fan, I want to see a fresh (20-21) season unaffected..  rather than one that would be affected by this epidemic.

 

nobody moves,  nobody gets hurt.

That is kind of how I see it too, Sam

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Things are absolutely going to get worse. We'll see what happens, if they can find a way to conduct games 30 or 60 days from now, in safe arenas, I think they will do it, even if it means altering next season to accommodate. Even if they can't put people in the buildings, they can still get a lot of viewership on TV.

 

Time will tell.

Safe arenas is going to be the tricky part. Are they gonna have em play in empty arenas and just broadcast as per usual? You sure as hell ain't filling an arena with thousands of people any time soon. 

 

I get that the NHL's gotta weigh all it's options and try their best to make things happen but I just don't see it coming to fruition. 

 

Time will tell for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think players will have to be cleared to play. Have physicals indicating they are not infectious. Protocols in stadium will be geared towards this too. Water bottles esp. Maybe even full masks to keep contact to the minimum. 

I think finishing the season would be something expedient, like a tournament. Maybe two 20 min periods. Or 4 on 4 to increase regulation wins. Tie breakers should also be as expedient as possible. Stanley Cup should be 7 games. League governers will decide. NHLPA will have to agree.

No spitting rule.

No licking other players rule.

OT, 3 on 3, two ten minute periods

Decide games in regulation time.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think players will have to be cleared to play. Have physicals indicating they are not infectious. Protocols in stadium will be geared towards this too. Water bottles esp. Maybe even full masks to keep contact to the minimum. 

I think finishing the season would be something expedient, like a tournament. Maybe two 20 min periods. Or 4 on 4 to increase regulation wins. Tie breakers should also be as expedient as possible. Stanley Cup should be 7 games. League governers will decide. NHLPA will have to agree.

No spitting rule.

No licking other players rule.

OT, 3 on 3, two ten minute periods

Decide games in regulation time.

How the heck would Marchand play? :sadno:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.