The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying a new TV is 4K worth dropping 4K?!

Bruce Boudreau

1 hour ago, The Dude Abides said:

There’s no way you need to spend 4K on a tv. 

that said, technology is a slippery slope, so what counts is what matters to you. Go see a few side by side, and judge by the difference you can see. 

im an audio guy... so those ‘home stereo in a box’ things are just crap to me. I have to shell out for the gear because I hear the difference. 

I think everyone sees (excuse the pun) these things differently.

I'm the total opposite i want that clean aesthetic of one speaker things over that upgrade in sound. I would never be able to blast it anyways.

Edited by CanuckinEdm

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Of all technologies i feel TV's are the slowest moving because of the cable companies. Most cable companies only have a couple 4K channels and some still have none. That being said if you waited 10 years to upgrade your TV I would definitively get a 4K TV this time. I feel they will be making that slow transition to 4K main channels with the 1080p backup channels in the next 10 years, similar to what they have now with 1080p main and std def backups.  

I don't mind by current Samsung 60 inch other than the fact that it is difficult to get fixed again for its color. Also it is quite out of date obviously.

I would love a great crisp picture like the ones that the LGs have but I went down to the local electronics for an hour and both salespeople talked about the O LED burn in risk.

So for now I am looking at the 75 inch range likely sticking with Samsung or going with Sony.

Can you still get a 1080p tv? Although most cable is still broadcast in 1080, most new series stream in 4k and there is a huge difference imo. After my kid threw buzz lightyear through my plasma tv a couple of years ago I've been searching for something comparable as far as picture quality goes. Oled is the only thing that come close. The LG smart tv interface and magic remote are amazing as well. Keep an eye out for sales at costco, they go on every couple of months. You can't beat their extra year of warranty and the extended warranty is the cheapest of any retailer by a long shot as well.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I don't mind by current Samsung 60 inch other than the fact that it is difficult to get fixed again for its color. Also it is quite out of date obviously.

I would love a great crisp picture like the ones that the LGs have but I went down to the local electronics for an hour and both salespeople talked about the O LED burn in risk.

So for now I am looking at the 75 inch range likely sticking with Samsung or going with Sony.

I've had a 65" Oled for 2 years now and I haven't noticed any burn in at all (touch wood). My kids play a lot of video games too so if it was going to happen to anyone, it would be me. Oleds do a pixel refresh after so many hours of viewing as well, so that may help. 

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Can you still get a 1080p tv? Although most cable is still broadcast in 1080, most new series stream in 4k and there is a huge difference imo. After my kid threw buzz lightyear through my plasma tv a couple of years ago I've been searching for something comparable as far as picture quality goes. Oled is the only thing that come close. The LG smart tv interface and magic remote are amazing as well. Keep an eye out for sales at costco, they go on every couple of months. You can't beat their extra year of warranty and the extended warranty is the cheapest of any retailer by a long shot as well.

I think they’re getting hard to find.  I found a small one 32” at Costco for my mom.  It was the only model not 4K 

32 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Curved 65” 4K 2 years ago from Costco for $1200.  Love it.  Tiny bit of lag in fast sports otherwise excellent colour and images.  4K on Netflix is good but appears more highly compressed now. 

Yeah, I hear ya. I originally bought a high end lcd. It had the best picture rating outside of Oled and Qled tv's at the time. Watching hockey and football I would see vertical banding every time the camera panned quickly. It was frustrating because my plasma had such a great picture. I ended up exchanging it so many times they eventually issued me a refund which was lucky because the oled happened to be on sale for roughly the same price. Couldn't be happier with the picture quality. Well, maybe a 4k plasma if they existed.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I'm the total opposite i want that clean aesthetic of one speaker things over that upgrade in sound. I would never be able to blast it anyways.

You can definitely have both. My built sound system is invisible, you can only see the sound bar. All components are in a closet rack, and all speakers are in furniture or walls.

sounds normal for watching the news, but I can also make the windows pulse at full capacity. 

aesthetics is my OCD issue. 

10 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Yeah, I hear ya. I originally bought a high end lcd. It had the best picture rating outside of Oled and Qled tv's at the time. Watching hockey and football I would see vertical banding every time the camera panned quickly. It was frustrating because my plasma had such a great picture. I ended up exchanging it so many times they eventually issued me a refund which was lucky because the oled happened to be on sale for roughly the same price. Couldn't be happier with the picture quality. Well, maybe a 4k plasma if they existed.

Yeah,  used to have 3D plasma 51” great pictures.  Looks shrimpy next to the 65” 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, Fanuck said:

My father-in-law has a 4k capable TV, but as you said the channels are extremely limited.

Bottom line, he said he would never have paid the regular price for a 4k tv (he got a deal for his TV and paid the same as a regular HD tv so that's why he got it). 

So no, imo, just wait it out until 4K is the standard (which it isn't now). 

Almost all TVs sold now are 4K.  It is very hard to find one that is not 4K.  Basically the price of 4K TVs has fallen to the price of HD TVs that were sold 10 years ago. If you pay $1000 for a HD TV ten years ago, the same $1000 will get you a a 4K TV.

Of course you get a range in 4K TV prices.   You could get a $600 4K 65 " TV like a RCA or a $2000 Sony 4K 65".   The better quality 4K TVs like Sony or Samsung have a much better processor so you get what you pay for.

There is already a lot  of 4K content through streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.  If you wait until 4K is standard for network broadcasting you may have to wait a long time as the big networks don't want to spend the money needed for upgrading their systems.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:42 PM, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I know what you mean.  I've got a 65" plasma and LED tvs didn't come close for a long time.  I'm curious about oled tho, and I'll try taking a look at the samsung qled tvs as well.  Plan is to upgrade to a 75" when the right deal comes along, but the current plasma is still running like a top

Got a new Sony 4k smart tv during boxing week last December. Very pleased with it all in all. Paid $800. 

Only a 55" but the layout of the living room doesn't work for a larger TV. Once the kids get a bit a older and aren't using the rec room to wreck stuff I'm putting a massive TV down there.

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:27 PM, Chip Kelly said:

So I need a new TV mainly for watching sports. 

Last on I had was a Samsung lasted over 10 years. Color is totally screwed now.

Want a bigger size to use in the main room.

What is the best brands and TV's you guys like for all your sports watching?

Most of the time this TV will be used to watch regular free over the air cable stuff without 4K specific content.

It has to be really good at upscaling crap picture quality coming from the cable box and be able to keep up to the action without lagging.

Is the picture quality that much better than regular 1080HD with 4K when most TV channels still only broadcast in standard definition with only HD for sports channels?

I think only Sportsnet and TSN even have a 4K channel.

If youre getting one, dont settle for anything less than qled or oled. Anything below those are irrelevant. Its not just the resolution youre going for but picture quality as well. Colors are more vibrant

On 9/15/2020 at 7:36 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah oleds are so delicate, i have both qled and oled and the latter is awesome but im just really careful with it. With a qled theres no worry for burn in. It seems oleds tend to have more problems than qled in a the long run. Im lucky mine hasnt had any but i know a few people that had banding or their screens have off colors. Samsungs have dependability

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 9:27 PM, luckylager said:

Got a new Sony 4k smart tv during boxing week last December. Very pleased with it all in all. Paid $800. 

Only a 55" but the layout of the living room doesn't work for a larger TV. Once the kids get a bit a older and aren't using the rec room to wreck stuff I'm putting a massive TV down there.

Ordered a Sony Bravia 75 inch from Costco on a limited time digital deal last week X900H.

With tv stand and delivery cost around $2700 for everything. Finally set it up and get it going. Tv lasts a few hours and I am watching the Cup Finals last week go to the bathroom and I just shuts off itself.

No power. Just bizarre.

Meanwhile the Toshiba CRT is still working fine with a 4K Telus box!

Should I order another of the same TV or just wait for a Black Friday sale?

Really frustrated haven't watched more than a hour of tv the past week.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ordered a Sony Bravia 75 inch from Costco on a limited time digital deal last week X900H.

With tv stand and delivery cost around $2700 for everything. Finally set it up and get it going. Tv lasts a few hours and I am watching the Cup Finals last week go to the bathroom and I just shuts off itself.

No power. Just bizarre.

Meanwhile the Toshiba CRT is still working fine with a 4K Telus box!

Should I order another of the same TV or just wait for a Black Friday sale?

Really frustrated haven't watched more than a hour of tv the past week.

That totally sucks Chip! I'd put it back in the box and drive to Costco, walk over to the returns desk and beat the clerk with it.

• Haha 1

It's all how much you want to spend really. I'm more than content on my regular HD TV playing PS4. My brother has a 4k TV and PS4 Pro and the visuals are so much clearer, crisp, but I don't lose any sleep over not having it. I like having that money in my account instead. I could go 4k anytime but I don't really care to either. 

• Upvote 1