The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

he "boxed" a 48 year old Anderson Silva who has been checked out since 2014. 

This is inncorret. He has focused on boxing. The julio Cesar Chavez Jr was a great victory over a decorated boxer in 2021. Anderson is a different animal. True samurai, plans to keep fighting even after last night. Has a bjj contest coming up. Not saying he has not slowed down or age hasn't caught up to him. But he has not checked out. 

1 hour ago, MikeBossy said:

In a boxing ring - I will start to believe in him when he actually fights a boxer or takes on these MMA fighters in an Octagon.

I bet Cmac is the one he will fight in the cage.

He has always wanted it.

Jake is a good wrestler and a big boy that can now box. The idea of an MMA fight is not crazy, especially for a big payday against a smaller guy.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is inncorret. He has focused on boxing. The julio Cesar Chavez Jr was a great victory over a decorated boxer in 2021. Anderson is a different animal. True samurai, plans to keep fighting even after last night. Has a bjj contest coming up. Not saying he has not slowed down or age hasn't caught up to him. But he has not checked out. 

I watched Silva man he looked so disinterested like utterly.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I watched Silva man he looked so disinterested like utterly.

Yeah. thats why I said 'played with his food'. Actaully not uncommon for him going way back. Damian Maia comes to mind.

There was quite a few moments when he trying to school Paul and teach him a lesson throughout the fight

But he started slow. He threw, what 5 punches?, in the first and they were some of the best shots of that round but still lost it due to Pauls quantities.  As the fight went on, Paul would hug/clinch up whenever he was in danger. Anderson let rounds slip away while still giving the impression that he was the better striker. Then the knockdown, sealed the deal.

Anderson had a bad strategy, Paul's was ugly, wild and clingy but it was better. Tap away for points and hug when needed. 

I'll tell ya who looked disinterested.

Uriah Hall.

Straight up looked depressed. Flat footed, clunky and slow.

He is/was such an athlete and great striker. Last night he looked like a zombie. I know he battles with mental health. I hope he has some good support around him.

He called out Jake which I dont think will every happen after his lackluster win. 

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Some good ones tonight!

@bishopshodanyou are trained in kickboxing yeah?  Surely you're interested in this one!

Yes

Looking forward to it for sure.

Some great match ups throughout the card with fighters that have top level stand-up skills. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Should be a banger.

I've got DP winning.

If Chandler fights patient though, he might pull it off. He's really good

He needs to shoot!  DP will bust him up if there's no takedown threat.  

I think DP wins but I think Chandler is a tougher style match for the champ.  So I guess I'm cheering for Chandler?

• Cheers 1

Man, the UFC really treats veteran fighters like lame horses. Put Frankie out to pasture... in front of his kids no less. One of my all time favorites. 

DP was great under fire in that first round. Most of Chandler's punches caught leather. 

Esparza Wei-Li was a forgone conclusion. Could have saved everyone the time by just dropping off the belt in the middle of the octagon and going home. 

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fuck Yeah!!! I know it won't be popular on here but I am glad Adesanya lost

I have mixed feelings on him.  Fun to watch but super cringe in interviews.  Pereira is definitely easier for me to sell to my friends who don't watch all the time.  "See that big guy?  He's gonna punch and kick real hard!"

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, HI5 said:

So was Khamzat was supposed to fight winner of these two? If so, he beats both..but this Peira guy is big and through some nice punches.

He's not even close to a fight against either of them.  In their division Chimaev hasn't fought anyone ranked in the top 15.  

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HI5 said:

So was Khamzat was supposed to fight winner of these two? If so, he beats both..but this Peira guy is big and through some nice punches.

Khamzat smokes Poatan.

The massive Brazilian showed he has a terrible ground game. He is in trouble with a wrestler.

There will be a well deserved immediate rematch. Izzy has earned it and was likely winning the fight last night till getting pieced up.

Way to go DP.

I mentioned Chandler should fight more patiently, last night... he didn't

These guys agree with me..

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/11/13/23455778/ufc-281-the-morning-after-michael-chandler-throws-it-all-away

Any time he stunned Poirier, Chandler would completely lose himself in the moment, throwing himself at his wounded foe with little thought. When has this ever worked against Dustin Poirier? He’s a genuine master at holding himself together in a firefight, remaining standing, then landing crushing blows as his foes try to catch their breathe.

Poirier has done it time and time again, yet Chandler ran full speed into that exact scenario in the closing moments of the first round. Given a few more seconds, he was getting stopped in the first frame because of his own awful choices.

• Cheers 1