The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

8 hours ago, JV77 said:

Conor didn't have to cut any weight and was eating steaks for dinner just a few days before the weigh ins.  Conor fought at what he walks around at.  He has such a tough weight cut for 145 and has the size and reach advantage on almost all those guys.  Even at 155 Diaz would've still won.   Weight wasn't a issue for Conor, Diaz's reach, boxing, toughness and ground game were the issues.

The whole weight excuse for Conor is bs and most of the fair weather don't have a clue about it. 

Diaz only had a 1 inch reach advantage than RDA. Also I'd love a list of fighters who fight at the weight they walk around in, cause you make it seem like a positive

57 minutes ago, MayRayDown said:

Diaz only had a 1 inch reach advantage than RDA. Also I'd love a list of fighters who fight at the weight they walk around in, cause you make it seem like a positive

Rory Macdonald is a guy that hardly cuts any weight and he's pretty damn good. That's all I know though lol.

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Rory Macdonald is a guy that hardly cuts any weight and he's pretty damn good. That's all I know though lol.

Rory walks around at 195+ not sure why you think he barely cuts weight. Rory is huge...

19 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Boxers need to be throwing a ton of punches, keeping arm loose like that helps avoid draining energy. Also helps when you have that reach advantage like Diaz did. Can just keep poking that arm out there to find his range.

McGregor doesn't have the frame to do what he wants to do at 170. Too much bulk for him to carry around, he needs to drop down. No shame in that, its not a matter of will/effort, just genetic card your dealt. 

heh, that I know (was an amateur boxer for over 10 years).  It seemed to work for him against McGregor, but style wise I was throwing up in my mouth (from a boxing perspective).  Happy he won the fight.

16 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

Most heavyweights fight at  what they walk around and I heard Edgar does doesn't cut much either.  There are some but yeah most do cut.  But cutting is tough on the fighters bodies, Johny Hendricks had to pull out of a fight because he got so sick during the cut.

It is a huge positive if a fighter doesn't have to cut much weight for a fight.

Edited by JV77

At the end of the bout, Mayweather handed Nate Diaz a huge duffle bag with $1,000,000 in it, as a gift for defeating McGregor. “It’s funny how the two main people that be talking sh*t, Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, both got they a** handed to them.

http://reportquickly.com/floyd-mayweather-gives-nate-diaz-1000000-for-defeating-conor-mcgregor/

• Upvote 1

Way too difficult for McGregor to jump two weight classes like that. Put himself in a huge disadvantaged and he paid for it but props for him for taking the fight. Definitely has guts (or maybe just a lack of brains) for fighting at a weight too heavy for him. 

On 3/8/2016 at 6:42 PM, LuckyLuciano said:

At the end of the bout, Mayweather handed Nate Diaz a huge duffle bag with $1,000,000 in it, as a gift for defeating McGregor. “It’s funny how the two main people that be talking sh*t, Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, both got they a** handed to them.

http://reportquickly.com/floyd-mayweather-gives-nate-diaz-1000000-for-defeating-conor-mcgregor/

true or rumour (giving diaz $)?  That dufflebag pic is an old one.  Glad that he threw his support behind the Diaz bros.  Rousey and McGregor definitely try to use Floyd's name for publicity, but McGregor would hands down get demolished in a boxing bout.  I guess it is all just hype talk.  

every UFC fighter has there social media trolled on. Is there some sort of freaking group doing this? why don't they just block the trolls? Seriously lol go to any UFC fighters insta or twitters, its littered by childish crap like your going to get bleep by jones, or you choked you tapped out like a b lol holy dana should teach them how to blcok these trolls.

On 07/03/2016 at 2:03 AM, Jiggs50 said:

MacDonald occasionally comes home to Kelowna to train at my gym and he looks and says he walks around at 195 and fights at 170. 

ALSO

Mayweather would get absolutely destroyed in an MMA fight by Conor but probably would KO Rousey before she knew what happened.

Edited by ThaManbeast

28 minutes ago, ThaManbeast said:

MacDonald occasionally comes home to Kelowna to train at my gym and he looks and says he walks around at 195 and fights at 170. 

ALSO

Mayweather would get absolutely destroyed in an MMA fight by Conor but probably would KO Rousey before she knew what happened.

Connor said he wanted to fight Mayweather in the boxing ring. You put UFCs best boxer in a boxing ring and they'll get destroyed. Vice versa boxer going into an MMA fight.

• Upvote 2

On 3/8/2016 at 5:25 PM, JV77 said:

Most heavyweights fight at  what they walk around and I heard Edgar does doesn't cut much either.  There are some but yeah most do cut.  But cutting is tough on the fighters bodies, Johny Hendricks had to pull out of a fight because he got so sick during the cut.

It is a huge positive if a fighter doesn't have to cut much weight for a fight.

Well when your weight limit is 265, it's not exactly surprising that you don't have to cut. Especially since most guys aren't taller than 6'4 to begin with in that division. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Well when your weight limit is 265, it's not exactly surprising that you don't have to cut. Especially since most guys aren't taller than 6'4 to begin with in that division. 

Brock Lesnar had to always cut though, because he is a freakin beast!

9 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Sure. But going from 280 to 265 is not nearly as hard as 170 to 155. 

Exactly. Its shocking how many people don't think about the magnitude of differences in weight for a smaller man versus a bigger man. Going from 280 to 265 involves dropping 5% of your weight. Going from 170 to 155 involves dropping 10% of your weight. "Fifteen pounds is fifteen pounds". No, its not. 

Conor was stupid to think he could go from 145 to 170, even if he 'walks around' at 160ish. You need about a years time to learn how to carry that extra weight. That's why small guys in the NHL that are naturally 150-160 turn to crap when they try to bulk up in the off-season and get to 170-180. They're just slow, can't use the new weight to their advantage, and no longer are able to do the things that made them successful when they were 150. Sergei Shirokov is a good example. Guy was built like a fist but was largely ineffectual because he couldn't dart in and out like he could when he was weighing 165-170. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Exactly. Its shocking how many people don't think about the magnitude of differences in weight for a smaller man versus a bigger man. Going from 280 to 265 involves dropping 5% of your weight. Going from 170 to 155 involves dropping 10% of your weight. "Fifteen pounds is fifteen pounds". No, its not. 

Conor was stupid to think he could go from 145 to 170, even if he 'walks around' at 160ish. You need about a years time to learn how to carry that extra weight. That's why small guys in the NHL that are naturally 150-160 turn to crap when they try to bulk up in the off-season and get to 170-180. They're just slow, can't use the new weight to their advantage, and no longer are able to do the things that made them successful when they were 150. Sergei Shirokov is a good example. Guy was built like a fist but was largely ineffectual because he couldn't dart in and out like he could when he was weighing 165-170. 

Difference is cutting and not.  Nate Diaz fights at 155 too and Conor was already training to fight at 155 and really that's where he should be.  So really, both were fighting above.  Making 145 is tough on Conor's body as his coach has said.

If the fight was at 155, you think that outcome changes?  Weight plays a bigger impact for wrestlers and how Diaz won really had nothing to do with weight.  And say both were at 155 come weigh ins, during the actual fight, they would probably both be the same weight as they were this fight...

Edited by JV77