The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Really pleased for Burr to-night. I think he is going to thrive in a Willie team.

I never doubted him coming back and I never doubted his commitment to play hard and keep going from start to finish.

Needless to say I was really disappointed with what some people were saying about him and I think Burr showed HE'S BACK with a bang.

As for his check, well all I can say is the playoffs have started early for Burr.

Loved the top line, but Burr earned the first star tonight imo.

5 hits, a goal, a takeaway, and an absolute nuissance to play against, in hard on the forecheck the entire game, puck hounding, going to the net and playing in the hard areas every chance he got.

Simply outstanding performance imo.

Agree. Battling with so much tenacity on every shift, this is the Burrows we know and love. 5 hits in one game, that's a lot of "bang for your buck".

Good, revenge for Alberts

Yes, and I couldn't help but notice that Sbisa absolutely demolished McGratton as well.

People can hate on Sbisa all they want - I am loving his strengths and it's becoming very clear to me the more I see him why WD and GMJB wanted this young guy.

Agree. Battling with so much tenacity on every shift, this is the Burrows we know and love. 5 hits in one game, that's a lot of "bang for your buck".

Yeah, not so easy to do with a fractured ankle or a broken jaw. Folks are sure quick to turn on injured players and forget what initiated their struggles. Ironic or predictable that Ballard, Raymond, Edler and Burrows have become the prime whipping boys on these boards over the past five years?

Yes, and I couldn't help but notice that Sbisa absolutely demolished McGratton as well.

People can hate on Sbisa all they want - I am loving his strengths and it's becoming very clear to me the more I see him why WD and GMJB wanted this young guy.

Yup, I fully expect to see a gaff or two from him in a game given his age/experience but he brings elements otherwise sorely lacking from our back end. Perfectly suited to a physical 3rd pairing role with enough skill that he should advance as coaching works those gaffs out.

Yeah, not so easy to do with a fractured ankle or a broken jaw. Folks are sure quick to turn on injured players and forget what initiated their struggles. Ironic or predictable that Ballard, Raymond, Edler and Burrows have become the prime whipping boys on these boards over the past five years?

Predictable. This is a fan base who jeers winning.

Yup, I fully expect to see a gaff or two from him in a game given his age/experience but he brings elements otherwise sorely lacking from our back end. Perfectly suited to a physical 3rd pairing role with enough skill that he should advance as coaching works those gaffs out.

I think it also bodes well for Sbisa that the Canucks have a patient, level-headed coach (and GM), they have some tremendously poised young defensemen to pair with Sbisa (Stanton is a stud, as is Tanev), they've got some serious character in the leaders of their blueline (Hamhuis and Bieksa will be great guys to support Sbisa), and perhaps most importantly / not the most obvious point would be that the forward group is rich in very adept two way forwards that can provide lots of puck support, help down low and back up for the young guys on the blueline - Burrows, Vrbata, HIggins, Hansen, Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias (among others) are all veterans that play very responsible two way hockey, and the rest of the lineup aint bad either.

I think it also bodes well for Sbisa that the Canucks have a patient, level-headed coach (and GM), they have some tremendously poised young defensemen to pair with Sbisa (Stanton is a stud, as is Tanev), they've got some serious character in the leaders of their blueline (Hamhuis and Bieksa will be great guys to support Sbisa), and perhaps most importantly / not the most obvious point would be that the forward group is rich in very adept two way forwards that can provide lots of puck support, help down low and back up for the young guys on the blueline - Burrows, Vrbata, HIggins, Hansen, Richardson, Dorsett, Matthias (among others) are all veterans that play very responsible two way hockey, and the rest of the lineup aint bad either.

Yup.

As you mentioned it, I'd LOVE a Sbisa/Tanev pairing. It seems to me it would be a lot like a Hamhuis/Bieksa-light pairing (on opposite sides). It would also likely mean we actually acquired an offensive, RHD to play with Edler :wub:

Aaahhh one can dream :P

Edited by J.R.