The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So was Tommen actually a Baratheon or is he a Lannister too?

Pure Lannister. All three of Cersei's children were sired by Jaime.

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

Yeah, The Lannisters lost the Tyrells, the Dorns, and possibly Riverrun over the course of the season. The ramifications of Arya's assassination weren't entirely clear. Don't know if the Frey's just have another son stepping in, or what.

Walder Frey has over 100 offspring. Many of his grandchildren are named Walder (or Walda) in an attempt to curry favor. However, in the books at least, his two eldest sons are dead. Stevron, the firstborn, was killed at the Battle of Oxcross (where Robb Stark routed the Lannister army) and his next oldest, Ryman, was killed by the Brotherhood Without Banners.

The TV series has kind of glossed over Walder's heirs, mentioning mainly Lothar and Black Walder, but Lothar is far down the list, while Black Walder would have been second in line (had he not become a Frey Pie) behind Edwyn Frey, (son of Ryman, grandson of Stevron and great grandson of Walder) who in the books at least, would be the current heir to the Twins and the Crossing.

I'll catch heat for this, because if you aren't creaming your jeans over GoT, then that must mean you hate it.

That said, was an incredibly forgettable season. Two "ok" episodes with a finale that was certainly A LOT better than the rest of the season. Otherwise, 7 incredibly forgettable episodes that I would never watch again.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I'll catch heat for this, because if you aren't creaming your jeans over GoT, then that must mean you hate it.

That said, was an incredibly forgettable season. Two "ok" episodes with a finale that was certainly A LOT better than the rest of the season. Otherwise, 7 incredibly forgettable episodes that I would never watch again.

No hate, nor heat, from me. Just respectful disagreement.

I will be watching again, when HBO repeats the season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Agreed. Basically nothing happened all season until the finale. The battle of the bastards was great and action packed. It was still one battle none the less. As for the finale, everything that went down should have done so during the course of the season. 

3 hours ago, Monty said:

There were a few more "slow" episodes than normal for sure, but for me "The Door", "The Battle of the Bastards" and the finale were 3 of the best episodes of the series so far.

Better than season 5 for sure, and I might even say it was better than season 2.

3 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

FTFY. And that's just what I could piece together off the top of my head.

You forgot Sandor Clegane, "The Hound". He's going to eat every fooking chicken in westeros, causing mass famine 

4 hours ago, Monty said:

I'll say S6E8'No One' was without a doubt the worst episode of the series.  It's like they filmed this elaborate plotline for Arya, the Waif, and Jaqen and then scrapped it at the last second(maybe George nixed it?)  Watch it again, why would they have the same extra appear 3 times in 2 different episodes in key situations.  I was 100% convinced it was suppose to be Jaqen.

Speaking of 'no one' was that a reference to Arya protecting Sansa when Sansa said 'no one can protect me'.  Ah, probably not.

3 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

Agreed. Basically nothing happened all season until the finale. The battle of the bastards was great and action packed. It was still one battle none the less. As for the finale, everything that went down should have done so during the course of the season. 

Basically nothing is a bit harsh. 'Door' and 'Bastards' were top notch episodes. Some of the best of the entire series IMO.

I generally quite enjoy the 'place setting' episodes anyway but will agree that it was a touch odd to have a fairly sizable portion of place setting through the rest of the season and then cram ALL of that in to episode 10.

Last episode was immensely enjoyable but it did feel a it rushed/not fleshed out.

3 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

You forgot Sandor Clegane, "The Hound". He's going to eat every fooking chicken in westeros, causing mass famine 

I didn't, he was in there with Thoros and Beric :)

He needs to be in a love battle for Brienne's affections. Tormund vs Sandor.

22 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

A nice plug for my other favourite show:

Top 6 TV Shows to Watch While Game of Thrones is Out

http://www.thelittlebinger.com/2016/07/game-of-thrones-alternative/#

Bob's Burgers?  Really?  They expect me to fill the void of the greatest show ever with that 2bit cartoon?

My three shows to fill the void(I don't watch much tv)

1. Vinyl

2. Ballers

3. Marco Polo

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Bob's Burgers?  Really?  They expect me to fill the void of the greatest show ever with that 2bit cartoon?

My three shows to fill the void(I don't watch much tv)

1. Vinyl

2. Ballers

3. Marco Polo

Haven't watched Marco Polo, but Vinyl and Ballers are terrible.

And Bob's Burgers is one of the best cartoons to come around in a long, long time.

Saw this line in an online recap of the season finale and thought it was awesome:

Jon Snow isn’t a heir to Winterfell. He’s an heir to the whole Seven Kingdoms. It’s like being promoted to run an entire Apple Store but not knowing Steve Jobs was your father 

So, two "meetings" that I wonder might happen in season 7:

Does the Targ/Martell/Tyrell fleet run into Crow's Eye on the way to Westeros? Dany did promise Yara to take care of "an uncle or two". 

Does Arya (who one would assume is now headed for Winterfell after dealing with Walder Frey) meet up with Red Mel? She's on the list.

On 7/3/2016 at 10:57 AM, Hugor Hill said:

A nice plug for my other favourite show:

Top 6 TV Shows to Watch While Game of Thrones is Out

http://www.thelittlebinger.com/2016/07/game-of-thrones-alternative/#

Preacher is fantastic...the rest meh. I'm not a huge fan of those DC WB shows though. Couldn't stand Smallville. 

My list:

1) Preacher

2) Mr. Robot

3) The Walking Dead (and Fear the Walking Dead, if you're desperate).

4) It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

5) Ash vs. the Evil Dead

6) Archer

7) South Park

....the League used to be on my list, but has gotten stale.

Here good things about Silicon Valley and Daredevil.