The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Hate to say it, but this season has been a bit of a letdown. I understand they are taking it slow now, which you need in a series like this; but I just haven't been very interested as I have been in the past. Sansa also has me and my wife rolling our eyes almost every scene she is in. Not because she is a bad actress, but because her problems compared to that of her siblings (or dead family members) seem infinitely less problamtic; and yet, she pouts the most.

I've enjoyed the season on the whole quite a bit so far. For me, my opinion on a season doesn't form until it gets to the last episode or two. I was able to watch season 1 and 2 all back to back, so any comments on their ability to grip me would be moot as I was able to watch them without having to wait a week every time. Yet compared to season 3, I would say this latest one has been the most engaging. There are a lot more characters with stories I want to follow. Not every bit of it is high paced, but they're gotten quite a bit done in a first half of a season.

Also, I enjoyed that last episode as well. My main complaint was that it felt too short. Not talking about it actually being a couple of minutes shorter than a full episode. Just the way things were framed it just sort of breezed through a lot of explanations and future set ups without too much concrete stuff actually happening. What I enjoyed about it was what it is they are hinting at.

Hate to say it, but this season has been a bit of a letdown. I understand they are taking it slow now, which you need in a series like this; but I just haven't been very interested as I have been in the past. Sansa also has me and my wife rolling our eyes almost every scene she is in. Not because she is a bad actress, but because her problems compared to that of her siblings (or dead family members) seem infinitely less problamtic; and yet, she pouts the most.

What do you expect from Sansa?

She is 14 years old (12 to start the show). The boy she was infatuated with turned out to be a psycho who killed her father in front of her then made her stare at his head. He had her beaten twice and stripped in public by a grown man. She was almost raped. Cersei played repeated head games with her and she was forced to talk down about her own family as they each died off. She was then forced to marry a older man she had no interest in and continued to be mocked emotionally battered by Joffrey. Now she is wanted dead and has to hide her identity while Little Finger keeps making advances on her, her much more powerful aunt goes psycho on her, and she is now planned to marry her deranged younger cousin...

Really what do you think a 14 year old girl would be like emotionally after all of that?

Ayra doesn't pout as much but she is much more bloodthirsty and reckless. In a way she is far dumber than Sansa who has acted cautiously to avoid death and further punishment.

Bran was suicidal after his fall and pouted quite a bit early on. He pouts less now but he also has a surrounding group he can trust and feel comfortable with as well as a supernatural power.

I've enjoyed the season on the whole quite a bit so far. For me, my opinion on a season doesn't form until it gets to the last episode or two. I was able to watch season 1 and 2 all back to back, so any comments on their ability to grip me would be moot as I was able to watch them without having to wait a week every time. Yet compared to season 3, I would say this latest one has been the most engaging. There are a lot more characters with stories I want to follow. Not every bit of it is high paced, but they're gotten quite a bit done in a first half of a season.

Also, I enjoyed that last episode as well. My main complaint was that it felt too short. Not talking about it actually being a couple of minutes shorter than a full episode. Just the way things were framed it just sort of breezed through a lot of explanations and future set ups without too much concrete stuff actually happening. What I enjoyed about it was what it is they are hinting at.

i certainly don't disagree

personally, this is my favourite season so far. 4 > 1 > 2 > 3

i don't even really understand the criticism. do people just think its too slow, or something?

That was a pretty bad episode aside from the Sansa scene. Didn't like the Night's Watch scenes at all, felt like something out of a campy B grade movie. Brienne and Pod's SNL skit was strangely edited and shot, along with Dany's (Emilia Clarke's acting has gotten worse). Cersei was okay but all these strange and pointless changes from the book is starting to kill the show. Production quality is also down from previous seasons.

I couldn't agree more. Sansa's scenes are actually some of the best this season. Other than her this episode was bad. I really don't know what's going on with Daenerys, bad acting/writting? Whatever it is it's killing that character.

We're half way through what was supposed to be the best season and so far it has been the worst.

What do you expect from Sansa?

She is 14 years old (12 to start the show). The boy she was infatuated with turned out to be a psycho who killed her father in front of her then made her stare at his head. He had her beaten twice and stripped in public by a grown man. She was almost raped. Cersei played repeated head games with her and she was forced to talk down about her own family as they each died off. She was then forced to marry a older man she had no interest in and continued to be mocked emotionally battered by Joffrey. Now she is wanted dead and has to hide her identity while Little Finger keeps making advances on her, her much more powerful aunt goes psycho on her, and she is now planned to marry her deranged younger cousin...

Really what do you think a 14 year old girl would be like emotionally after all of that?

Ayra doesn't pout as much but she is much more bloodthirsty and reckless. In a way she is far dumber than Sansa who has acted cautiously to avoid death and further punishment.

Bran was suicidal after his fall and pouted quite a bit early on. He pouts less now but he also has a surrounding group he can trust and feel comfortable with as well as a supernatural power.

To answer your question, "What do I expect from Sansa," as simply as I possibly can? Quite simply, I just don't like people who pout in real life about whatever difficult situation they are in, child or not. And we can use the show as an example. You don't see peasants or their peasant children kicking up dust, wondering if anybody is watching. It's offputting. Lots of people are in awful situations (real life and the show) and people learn from early on not to pout and throw pitty parties. Teenagers in real life placed into that environment? Understandable to pout. It's not as if Sansa was blind to the world and the evil that inhabits it.

Warg's can warg dragons can't they?

To answer your question, "What do I expect from Sansa," as simply as I possibly can? Quite simply, I just don't like people who pout in real life about whatever difficult situation they are in, child or not. And we can use the show as an example. You don't see peasants or their peasant children kicking up dust, wondering if anybody is watching. It's offputting. Lots of people are in awful situations (real life and the show) and people learn from early on not to pout and throw pitty parties. Teenagers in real life placed into that environment? Understandable to pout. It's not as if Sansa was blind to the world and the evil that inhabits it.

The peasant reference doesn't apply to the show as you aren't following their stories. Though plenty of less fortunate people do pout. However I will agree that with people who have comfortable lives for it to suddenly slip they may be more prone to pouting.

Sansa was not exposed to all the evils of the world. In fact a few times she comes off as blind to it. Cersei had to explain to her what happens to the women after a city is sacked (Sansa then starts to partake in the drinking after hearing it), she did not read Little Fingers intentions at first without the help of Shae, she has the scene with Shae where she talks about the boats destinations and gets upset when Shae gives her thought out answers and doesn't use her imagination, she was quite upset over the loss of Lady. She is portrayed as a sheltered little girl.

Even so it isn't like her family handled stress any better.

Ned threatens the queen and gets himself killed.

Cat just threw gas on a fire with how she handled Tyrion and Jaime. She also gave up after Robb died.

Robb like Cat almost no thought into his actions just impulse. As soon as Talisa went down this man of war gave up.

Jon left home, swore off sex, and lives in the freezing cold because fathers wife was mean to him.

Ayra thinks she is Rambo. On numerous occasions she would have died or been gang raped or both if she didn't have someone risk themselves to help her after she made an abrasive move.

Bran has adapted well but of course like said he has had a significant amount of help from a very capable supporting cast.

Maybe you just truly have a hatred for pouting... but I feel she is far more tolerable than much of her family which did nothing but stack up bad decisions and had no sense or strength to realize the negative consequences. Something Sansa has played her cards well with just to survive.

I see Sansa as a strong girl (stronger than much of her family) and I feel it will start to show more as she becomes an adult and adds wisdom to it.

i certainly don't disagree

personally, this is my favourite season so far. 4 > 1 > 2 > 3

i don't even really understand the criticism. do people just think its too slow, or something?

For me it's probably been 4 > 1 > 3 > 2. Between the latter it's something of a toss up though. All I'm sure of is that I liked Season 1 more than both of them. It's really hard to say without season 4 having finished, but as it stands, it has to be my favourite.

And I agree with Chilis' view on Sansa. She's been learning on the fly here, and things certainly haven't been easy.

Maybe you just truly have a hatred for pouting...

No hatred for it, just don't have time for it. I'm allowed to not like certain characters, just like you may dislike some characters that I like. No person is 100% likeable or 100% unlikeable. I just don't like Sansa, no harm no foul.

Edited by Monty

I really liked the episode because

(1) little time for Dany's storyline

(2) saw some disobedience from Darrio Naharis

(3) got to see a little humanity in Cersei through her explanation of why she cared so much for Joffrey and that she did recognize how awful he was, but simply cared too much for him. I also liked her line with Oberyn, where he said that they don't hurt little girls in Dorn, to which Cersei replied "they hurt little girls everywhere".

(4) Arya and the hound still crack me up, though their storyline needs a little rejuvenation from the current archetype of 'Arya gives some sass and the hound responds gruffly

Sansa has always been this way, I'm not bothered by it.

Anyone else think that Podrick and Brienne look related? Obviously they not related in the show, nor in real life, but they have very similar faces.

i think i'm gonna stop reading/participating in this thread. the bitching is getting as bad as the walking dead thread.

A few people voicing their displeasure of an episode isn't "bitching". I know what Game of Thrones is capable of and when it doesn't meet my expectations I'm going to say so.

On a different note, I think the change in Cersei last episode wasn't her being a better person, I think she's working the judges of Tyrion's trial to get a favorable result.

Edited by Beluga Whale
  • Upvote 2

A few people voicing their displeasure of an episode isn't "bitching". I know what Game of Thrones is capable of and when it doesn't meet my expectations I'm going to say so.

Also, I think the change in Cersei last episode wasn't her being a better person, I think she's working the judges of Tyrion's trial to get a favorable result.

Good point!

On a different note, I think the change in Cersei last episode wasn't her being a better person, I think she's working the judges of Tyrion's trial to get a favorable result.

Yeah these people that think Cercei is somehow changed cause of this one episode...? She's clearly playing these people and will no doubt knife them in the back figuratively shortly.

I really liked the episode because

(1) little time for Dany's storyline

(2) saw some disobedience from Darrio Naharis

(3) got to see a little humanity in Cersei through her explanation of why she cared so much for Joffrey and that she did recognize how awful he was, but simply cared too much for him. I also liked her line with Oberyn, where he said that they don't hurt little girls in Dorn, to which Cersei replied "they hurt little girls everywhere".

(4) Arya and the hound still crack me up, though their storyline needs a little rejuvenation from the current archetype of 'Arya gives some sass and the hound responds gruffly

Sansa has always been this way, I'm not bothered by it.

Anyone else think that Podrick and Brienne look related? Obviously they not related in the show, nor in real life, but they have very similar faces.

I hadn't noticed that.

What's interesting is that Pod is supposed to be realted to Ilyn Payne. Not much of a family resemblance there... ;)