The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Congrats to Alcaraz, that 2nd set tiebreak comeback was the difference. Once he won that set i had a feeling he would take this in 5. Djoker though played well came very close an amazing player and athlete. This won't be the last we hear from him. I can see these 2 meeting in many GS finals for a few more years to come. That's how good Djoker still is. 

• Cheers 1

Happy to see Alcaraz win today, but I'm still disappointed for Ons Jabeur. It would have been awesome to see a Tunisian win a major...

Nothing against Vondrusova, but the Czechs already have a few majors. (One Czech player in particular has a bunch)

[The Tennis Letter] Daria Kasatkina on speaking out against Russia: “I made my choices. I want to look in the mirror & not be ashamed. Now I’m paying the price for this decision.. I’m not in a position to judge. There are those who have families there who’ve decided not to pay the same consequence”

Reminder to the people who were complaining about Russian athletes not being outspoken about the war. 

This tennis player that spoke out is no longer welcomed to visit her friends and family as she is considered a traitor. There are government actors lobbying to put her permanently on a "foreign agent" list. 

There was this huge sentiment that every Russian hockey player should go out and publicly denounce the actions of their government. Of course this was done by people behind keyboards with zero skin in the game. 

35 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

[The Tennis Letter] Daria Kasatkina on speaking out against Russia: “I made my choices. I want to look in the mirror & not be ashamed. Now I’m paying the price for this decision.. I’m not in a position to judge. There are those who have families there who’ve decided not to pay the same consequence”

Reminder to the people who were complaining about Russian athletes not being outspoken about the war. 

This tennis player that spoke out is no longer welcomed to visit her friends and family as she is considered a traitor. There are government actors lobbying to put her permanently on a "foreign agent" list. 

There was this huge sentiment that every Russian hockey player should go out and publicly denounce the actions of their government. Of course this was done by people behind keyboards with zero skin in the game. 

Ali went to prison speaking against a US war. He was a hero. This tennis player is heroic too. Too bad so many of her countrymen are cowards. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ali went to prison speaking against a US war. He was a hero. This tennis player is heroic too. Too bad so many of her countrymen are cowards. 

This isn’t a problem for athletes to fix. Not fair to put it on them when their home country may banish them and punish their families. Not to mention the nasty habit of Putin detractors dropping dead of poison. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nice win for Milos tonight, as he knocks off world #10 Frances Tiafoe at the National Bank Open in his hometown of Toronto. After dropping the opening set in a tiebreak, Raonic came back to win the 2nd set (also in a tiebreak) and then won the third set 6-3...

IF I heard Brad Fay correctly, Milos fired 37 aces tonight, including the point that ended the match.

• Like 1

Milos will face American Mackenzie McDonald upset World No. 7 Andrey Rublev 6-4, 6-3 in the next round.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/article/milos-raonic-defeats-taro-daniel-to-reach-third-round-at-national-bank-open/

Milos Raonic defeats Taro Daniel to reach third round at National Bank Open

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Milos will face American Mackenzie McDonald upset World No. 7 Andrey Rublev 6-4, 6-3 in the next round.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/article/milos-raonic-defeats-taro-daniel-to-reach-third-round-at-national-bank-open/

Milos Raonic defeats Taro Daniel to reach third round at National Bank Open

Takes a bit of the sting out of losses by Felix and Bianca....

Not sure what's going on with FAA....seems like he's been struggling for quite a while now.

What an absolute disaster for this tournament. Firstly no Shapo, then Felix out, Bianca out. Now Tsitsipas, Zverev and Rublev all get crushed in the first round and eliminated. The three of them won a combined 17 games today.

Hopefully all the tickets are already sold.

The match today between Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic in the Cincinnati finals was absolutely spectacular. Reminded me of the 5 set final Federer and Nadal played when they just beat the crap out of each other at Wimbledon a few years back.

Carlos is good but Novak is still the king.

Novak Djokovic outlasts Carlos Alcaraz for Cincinnati title

MASON, Ohio -- Novak Djokovic overcame a match point and stifling heat to beat world No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz 5-7, 7-6 (7), 7-6 (4) and win the Cincinnati Open in a heart-pounding thriller Sunday.

Djokovic collapsed on his back before tearing his shirt off after triumphing in the nearly four-hour contest to win his third title in Cincinnati and get revenge after his loss to Alcaraz in last month's Wimbledon final.

"This was one of the exciting matches I've ever played in any tournament," Djokovic, the winner of a men's-record 23 Grand Slam titles, said during the postmatch trophy presentation. "It felt like a Grand Slam."

With temperatures hovering near 90 degrees, the 36-year-old Djokovic survived the tournament's longest men's match since at least 1990 to become the oldest man to win the championship. Ken Rosewall was 35 when he won in 1970.

At 3 hours, 49 minutes, the match was the longest best-of-three set final in ATP tour history (since 1990).

The Serbian player looked hobbled by the intense humidity at the tail end of the first set, barely moving when Alcaraz hit a backhand winner to grab the opener.

Alcaraz, who looked fresh despite being on the court for more than 10 hours this week, grabbed a 4-2 second-set lead, and it appeared the Spanish star might cruise to the finish line.

But Alcaraz would produce a terrible service game while leading 4-3 that included four unforced errors to give life to the world No. 2.

In the second-set tiebreak, Djokovic saved a championship point and went on to force a deciding set after winning a 25-shot rally.

During the break before the third set, a frustrated Alcaraz pounded a hand against the plastic drinks container next to his chair, requiring a medical timeout to tape his finger.

In the decider, Djokovic broke on his fifth opportunity of the game for a 4-3 lead.

The drama would continue as Djokovic squandered two match points while returning and leading 5-3.

Alcaraz would save two more match points and break serve when Djokovic missed an overhead for 5-5.

The players ultimately arrived at another tiebreak, which Djokovic won when the 20-year-old's forehand return went wide.

The win was Djokovic's 95th career title and 39th Masters 1000 crown.

"I have so much to say, but I'm not sure that I have the energy," Djokovic said, cradling his trophy. He paused and looked at Alcaraz.

"You never give up, do you?" he said. "I love that about you. I hope we meet in New York. That would be fun -- well, for the fans, not for me."

The US Open begins Aug. 28. Alcaraz, the defending champion, is guaranteed to remain No. 1 heading into the tournament.

"The match was pretty close," Alcaraz said. "I'll be back."